[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:51:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

while growing up i was privileged to have many flying experiences in old WW2 era aircraft due to my dad's managerial position at the airport that he worked for.  I got to fly in three separate C-47's, a PT-17 Stearman a couple of times, a P51 Mustang, a B-25, as well as a TBM Avenger torpedo bomber.  the P51 was fast and the aerobatics we did were great, and the TBM ride was fun just cruising around over Heber Utah, trying to dogfight a PT-17 stearman.  but the b-25 was the greatest of them all.  i went to every ball, waist, gun, and bombardier postion.. we flew in tight formation with the F8F Bearcat, a C46 named "china doll", and the TBM avenger that i later flew in years down the road it was incredible.  attached are the pics of the TBM ride last year

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg89243.html#msg89243

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

TBM ride 06-26-09 011.jpg
TBM ride 06-26-09 012.jpg
TBM ride 06-26-09 028.jpg
TBM ride 06-26-09 033.jpg
TBM ride 06-26-09 038.jpg

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:37:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Aha so that's where my TBM went to  Grin Man I'd love to get to fly in one of them must be a real adrenalin rush.

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg89257.html#msg89257

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:31:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Awesome pics! Over in Galveston they have the Lone Star Flight Museum. They have alot of WWII aircraft on display, and they give rides in a B-17 (for a price of course!) The B-17 was flying over the beach this past weekend while my wife and I were out detecting. What a beautiful sight! Here is a link to that site.

Please Register or Login

Lone Star Flight Museum

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95397.html#msg95397

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Thunderbird B-17.jpg

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Offline truckinstructor
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Seben Extreme power & Gold Snoop Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:00:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

I believe the P51 Mustang was an Australian made aircraft?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95411.html#msg95411

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:19:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello truckinstructor

The P51 Mustang was an American designed Aircraft which they built 15586 Mustangs, However Australia manufactured under license 266 P51 D's

An old retired Air force commander once told me. The Hurricane won the Battle of Britain, The Spitfire grabbed the Glory and the P51 Mustang won the war.  Grin

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95422.html#msg95422

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Mark..thank you for the link.  when you click on it and it brings up the page the I noticed it has two of the WW2 aircraft that I have had the privilege to actually fly in.  As I said earlier, I have flown in a couple but the two on that page...the B-25 and the PT-17 Stearman are some of the ones I have flown in.  The B-25 was the best by far, being able to crawl through the bird from gunner position to gunner position and sit behind the .50 Cal's.  I used to be a member of the Confederate Air Force, and it has since changed its name to Commemorative Air Force because of public out cry about the Confederacy during the Civil War, (SOB's) any way we have a yellow open cockpit PT-17 Stearman here, and a buddy and I were trying to fly it to Midland, Texas for it to go into a museum for a bit, but got stormed out for a couple of days in Price, Utah.  So we never made it in time for the airshow.  and the Commemorative Air Force comity for the museum, told us not to worry about bringing it down.  We also just had a B-17 come through here recently.....i think i missed it....... Angry  AS always thank you for your post Mark.

Hardluck...I like that saying about the different aircraft that fought the war....very cool.  When I flew in the P51 it was loud as hell and couldn't even communicate with my friend who was the pilot.  It is also the first plane where I have done aerobatics in it, and passed out from the G forces pulling the blood away from my head.  In other aircraft I have done aerobatics and had no real problem.  In the P51 we went over Deer Creek reservoir here in Utah, and at some point while doing a loop, I remember my vision going and feeling the force of gravity pushing me into my seat.  "Oh damn.." I thought, and I tried to flex my muscles to hold the blood where it was suppose dot be, but I passed out only briefly, and then came out of it, and had the "stars" you see when you get knocked out, floating around in my eyes.

It was a great flight.  What surprised me was the noise.  from the outside the aircraft makes a gorgeous humming sound from that big beautiful Merlin engine, but inside I couldn't hear a word of my buddy.  He passed away and then his Mustang got sold to a guy in Idaho.  The new owner was forced to make a crash landing on the freeway and the plane is currently being restored, and will be up and running again in two years according to my research.  Beautiful piece of history though, absolutely gorgeous in fact.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95490.html#msg95490

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Toleary34

I am a member of a local aircraft restoration society. We would love to have a P51 Mustang if you got one to spare.  Grin

Our collection includes Douglas Dc-3, 2 Lockheed Neptune, 2 Gruman trackers, Lockheed constellation plus various other aircraft. Our most cherished aircraft is a Catalina Flying boat in full black cat ww2 Anti submarine battle colors. Found that in Spain. We are hoping to get a F-111 for our collection. We are getting a caribou and an Orion Anti Submarine aircraft.

We have an affiliation with another Aircraft historical society that concentrates on fighters only. However skilled technicians are shared in restorations and both societies contribute aircraft to each others airshow. They have Vampires, Sabres, Migs, mirages, Mustang, Spitfires, Gloucester meteor, a couple of Harvard Texans and it is rumored that they have got there hands on a De Havland Mosquito.

Nothing like radial piston engines once heard never forgotten.

When the Mustang was first built they have Alison engine but were found to be a little underpowered. They put the Merlin engine out of the Spitfire into the Mustang and the rest is history...

Talking to old pilots they always said they preferred the hurricane to fly as it was so responsive. The Spitfire was temperamental and hard to fly, cramped with terrible blind spots.

The Mustang was born to fly with a Merlin engine and out preformed the earlier short comings of the spitfire. The Mustang was the pinnacle of radial piston fighters of ww2.

I would love to of have the chance to fly in one.

Hardluck.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95627.html#msg95627

Offline truckinstructor
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Seben Extreme power & Gold Snoop Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:07:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have to admit, The USA makes the best products in the world - no doubt about that Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95640.html#msg95640

Offline Spooky
Bronze Member

Proud Rhodesian
Thank you3

Activity
0%

1110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, MXT, Fisher F5, BH SS2
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:41:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've always found the F8f interesting.
If that thing had gone into service four years earlier, the air war in the pacific would have lasted a MONTH.
Sadly, it didn't see any action.

And GLOC is fun.. They teach you to flex and to push out with your lungs, but unless you are a "real pilot" you usually fuzz out, lol....
I know I did.
Got a bastard of a headache too.
And this was just in an OTTER.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95654.html#msg95654

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:45:58 pm by Spooky »

"Gimme foo, gimme fah, gimme Jabajabajabbah!!"

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:04:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you all for your posts and for everything that you have contributed by sharing your knowledge. I love aviation history, it is so incredible.  it's one of those things like medicine...it has changed the world.  I know all of the aircraft that you are talking about hardluck, and love all of them.  I don't think that I have ever seen a mosquito in person though.  There is an aerospace museum just down the road, and there is a caribou there that is the exact same one that my dad jumped out of when he was in the military.  Also, while I was in Afghanistan about a little over a year ago, there was a P3 Orion that had made a crash landing at the airfield, and tore it up pretty good.  If any of you guys have any pictures you would like to share you just send them my way....i love aircraft. gspirit1984@hotmail.com

Thank you all for all of your comments and information.  keep me posted of anything else that you run into out there.  take care everyone

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14057.msg95666.html#msg95666

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: