[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, I may owe you an apology.   If the cartridge containing both the charge and weight screwed onto the "pistol" using the threaded coupling shown in Img_5980 and if the cartridge was electrically ignited, then you could be right.  After looking at a whole lot of pictures today, I found two examples that look like they could be that type of arrangement.  In both cases, only the assembled unit is shown, and it looks like a long barrelled pistol.

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120638.html#msg120638

Offline whitesharkTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Humminbird side scan
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Diving in a wreck like that is diving in a time capsule. It take a bit of curage to enter the first time. Also because of the bad visibility in that part of the North Sea. The sub is about 30 meters - 90 feet long and you can enter by two entries. The first is the engine room where I found several manometers (see photo). The other entry is the room were we found the guns. Both hadges are still in the wreck. There is another place to enter, the conning tower, but it is gone, probably by fisherman who pull there nets over it. It is to small to enter with diving equipment.

I once passed from one side to the other using a reel with a life rope. It is always a thrill to enter. But there are a lot more submarines. The more you go to France, the more warships you find.

The guns have a right and left indication on the grip, thats also why I tought it were detonators. Otherwise, we found six of them. As far as I know S-class did not have six torpedo tubes. So, it is still a guess...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120643.html#msg120643

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMG_5983.jpg

Offline agresor11
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 02:21:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

what is this used for ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120652.html#msg120652

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Humminbird side scan
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:21:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Manometers are made for messure pressures on several lines or machinery.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120689.html#msg120689

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
GD, I may owe you an apology.   If the cartridge containing both the charge and weight screwed onto the "pistol" using the threaded coupling shown in Img_5980 and if the cartridge was electrically ignited, then you could be right.  After looking at a whole lot of pictures today, I found two examples that look like they could be that type of arrangement.  In both cases, only the assembled unit is shown, and it looks like a long barrelled pistol.

BA

Modern shot line guns look more like rifles or shotguns but the old ones look like these. I'm 99% certain that's what these are. I've been wrong before though and I await any confirmations or proof of some other use. The Maritime Museum at the Mystic Seaport in Connecticut has some very similar to those under discussion. I've seen them there but didn't take photos.

Ordinary bullets travel at 2000 feet per second or more. Some of my hand loads travel at 5000 feet per second. Shot line cartridges are designed for sub sonic, slow projection of a weight that carries the lighter traveling lines over to the pier. They have to be visible in motion because the dockside folks actually catch them. At bullet speeds, they would kill them. After they catch them, they larger ropes are pulled over. It's one of those tasks that people don't concern themselves with. The boat is at the pier or it is at sea. How it gets from sea to being tied up is often simply overlooked.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120805.html#msg120805

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:06:49 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 12:59:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
GD, I may owe you an apology.   If the cartridge containing both the charge and weight screwed onto the "pistol" using the threaded coupling shown in Img_5980 and if the cartridge was electrically ignited, then you could be right.  After looking at a whole lot of pictures today, I found two examples that look like they could be that type of arrangement.  In both cases, only the assembled unit is shown, and it looks like a long barrelled pistol.

BA

you learn something new everyday. could be they were shot line gun triggers.
maybe it was some sort of universal trigger mechanism? any how , it's still pretty amazing stuff.
i had a quick search around about the war graves and wreck ownership thing, seems from the little i could find, that the wrecks have no specific protection other than that if it's within 3 miles of a coast it is under the control/laws of the country's water it's in. if anyone can add more i'd be keen to hear it.

so whiteshark, how long have you been driving wrecks?  seems the sort of thing that's not done by just anyone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120936.html#msg120936

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 02:55:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jamjars

Quote:Posted by jamjars
i had a quick search around about the war graves and wreck ownership thing, seems from the little i could find, that the wrecks have no specific protection other than that if it's within 3 miles of a coast it is under the control/laws of the country's water it's in. if anyone can add more i'd be keen to hear it.

Is this an international law?

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120953.html#msg120953

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 03:55:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

hi Xavier,
the only info i could find specifically about british war wrecks was from posts in forums
for history and war buffs, so nothing categorical from government sources. i must admit
the idea of trying to find information from government sites fills me with dread, the thought
of scrolling through pages and pages of forms just to try and find anything remotely useful
does not appeal to me.
one post i saw was from someone involved with ex servicemen from the HMS Repulse and how they are concerned about people diving the wreck and photographing and disturbing remains, but that wreck is in malaysian waters.
what little i found seemed to indicate that local rules apply in local waters and not many if any rules apply in international waters.
sorry i'm not much more help.

JJ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120958.html#msg120958

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 05:06:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi jamjars

Thanks for the info I know what you mean about pages of legislations that one has to go through but it could be the thing to do to stay out of trouble and also to know what are your rights. When I did my divers course I had a bunch of laws to learn (parrot fashion) man did I hate that.

Regards Xavier 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120965.html#msg120965

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Humminbird side scan
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 05:45:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi guys,
As far as I know there is a territorial water law that says that you not may take anything from wrecks. Depends on the laws of the country were the wreck is. I know also that Great Britain has a high priority on wargraves.
The most of the wreck divers don't take any personal belongings of people who found dead in a wreck. I dive almost 20 years on wrecks and must say that I've never seen any rests of bodies. Most of the people who lost relatives in a warwreck are curious and have interests in the wreck. How does it lay on the bottom, which was the cause of the sinking, etc...
You can find more on this link:

Please Register or Login

http://www.wrecksite.eu

My opinion about taking things of a wreck is, after many years on the bottom the most of the remainings sink in the sand and are lost forever. Better is to pick up those things and restore them as a memory. But as I say that is my opinion.
The two pictures I took in the wreck of the H.M.S. Southwold. She exploded and sank after a long fight in Malta. The wreck is in two pieces. The depth is about 70 meter - 210 feet.
You can see the stove in the kitchen, on the other picture you can even see the tin cans with conserved vegetables. We leaved it all there. I took pictures from it but I did not take any of those things.
What I did take was the telegraph from the engine room. I did 3 dives to get it out of the wreck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18494.msg120971.html#msg120971

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P8077079.jpg
malta_sept_04__326_.jpg
malta_sept_04__330bis.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: