[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bluebeardTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:52:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Today we remember all those who fought to keep our country and our way of life as special as it has always been.
 We also think about those who are out there now doing the same job as our parents and grandparents had done.
                                         LEST WE FORGET.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46833.msg256822.html#msg256822

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:04:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

There are no words to describe the courage the ANZACs had to muster to enter the Galipoli campaign.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46833.msg256823.html#msg256823

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not to mention what it took to stop the Imperial Japanese Army as it marched south.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46833.msg256947.html#msg256947

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

ANZAC day is remembered in Malaysia as well.

Please Register or Login

http://www.dva.gov.au/commems_oawg/OAWG/war_memorials/overseas_memorials/malaysia/Pages/Malaysia%20sandakan.aspx

Usually I'd post a reminder of the event in this site, but this year I didn't, mainly because we're still mopping up the remnants of an invasion of armed Philippino gunmen. Thought it best to err on the side of caution and not to encourage any travelers to pop over at this time.

On a slight tangent, that site makes brief mention of the Muar Battle. As is often the case, the annals of history do not record the efforts of the civilian volunteers. I never got to know my paternal grandfather, he was among the defenders who fell at Sungai Abong (Abong river), Muar. As there are no commemorations to remember the locals who took up arms against the Japanese, I chose ANZAC day to appreciate his sacrifice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46833.msg256954.html#msg256954

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline bluebeardTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:40:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G,day GD and BA,
                       my dad would never speak about the time he spent at war and I can only imagine some of the horrible things he saw or was involved in. Yet when speaking to a Japanese girl who was an exchange student staying with our cousins he told her when she asked how he felt about her race and what had happened that he beared no grudge against her or her countrymen as they were in the same position as he was. He had fought in New Guinea in Milne Bay, Rabaul,and afew other hot spots up there but his letters home and any photo's he sent back would give one the impression it was'nt that bad, probably so mum would be more at ease. The Japanese army were tenacious little buggers and I think you have to give them an A for effort when you stop to look at what they took on.Apprently the Australian war office kept the bombing of Darwin very quiet so no one would panic is what they said, then we had the minature Japanese sub attack in Sydney harbour. These guy's knew they were not going home but carried on anyhow, I don't know if you call that patriotism or just being brainwashed idiots as there was no back up it was a one off attack. We managed to stop the movement south but never thought for a moment that mainland OZ would be attacked. I guess the way dad looked at it was simple;put yourself in the other mans shoes he would rather be at home going to work and looking after and enjoying time with his family too not laying in a muddy trench shooting at some one who wants the same.
LEST WE FORGET

Hi Hobbyist,
                you are so right as so many people who helped are left out in conversation and in print but it was people like your grandfather who did so much to help also the fuzzy wuzzy natives in New Guinea a truly great people.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46833.msg256956.html#msg256956

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: