[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Alan HassellTopic starter
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:32:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I decided to put this up to show beginers what can be done if you put in the time and the effort.
Unfortuneately my witness to this my good friend Jack Bosanquet of Springvale Victoria passed away but the evidence should be enough to inspire anyone wanting to recover gold rings from the water.

In fact I cant remember if this was done in 1986 or 1987 to be honest but I had set myself a challenge to see how long I could stay in the water and how many rings I would find in the time I was there.

There are two tides a day although if you really think about it theres actually 4 two highs two lows.
One this particular day Port Phillip Bay where I did my detecting was like flat as a pancake and very little or no movement in the water it was like a mill pond. 

It was also one of those barmy hot summers days where loads of people had been on the beach as well.
I often went in the water during daytime hours as long as I kept out of the swimmers and others in the water I didnt interfere with anyone and never had any complaints directed at me.  So initially I stuck to the deeper channels and found a few goodies.

As the day wore on and the hours passed I never noticed people leaving the beach I just kept working in my usual fashion.

When my batteries started to go low i gave it a rest went home had a shower and made a meal and changed batteries.
Hours later I was to return to the beach once more and started to recover more gold at one point I was finding one almost every half hour or so, to my delight.

Jack had been doing the same as me only he was doing it at elsewhere we often searched in the darkness away from prying eyes. He came to see how I was going beofore heading off home I was going to stay in the water as long as I could.

Actually it was good in the water as there was a nightclub that played music till teh early hours so i had something to listen to as well as the tone in my headphones.

As the hours passed so my collection increased and wasnt going to pack it in while the water was still shallow enough to search.

Around 8 am i was really suffering the effect of the cold and decided to get off the beach. Jack had been watching me in the water for about i/2 an hour and wondered what i fnally found.

The coins and other stuff i kept in my goodie bag that i had on a belt The rings were in a smallpouch i kept around my nech ion case if i did get mugged they would only get the junk and what money I had recovered. the rings would always be safe around my neck under my semi dry suit.

At the final count in front of Jack were 21 gold rings the ones i later placed on a board and photographed.
A while back I said I would put a picture up well here it is and I did this to encourage others that to find something good you have to put the effort into it.

You will not find a load of gold rings sitting in front of the tele with a detector in one hand and a tinny in the other dreaming and hoping they will jump out from the carpet. It doesnt work that way

good luck

{alt}

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59804.html#msg59804
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/jialing-01/21rings0001.jpg

Offline sammygirl
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

560.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Prizm II
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:35:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Holy Macaroni! Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59806.html#msg59806

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:40:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Amazing find especially considering it has been all achieved in only one day! Congratulations Alan!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59811.html#msg59811

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline nikzack
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F2
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:41:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked All I can say is WOW. What kind of detector were you using?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59813.html#msg59813

Offline rab
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Scotland

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

EXPLORER 2 / X1 PROBE  / XS BACKUP
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:46:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thats some day bet youve never repeated it .rab

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59824.html#msg59824

Offline SharenH
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 505
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

O M G. . .  Now I have hope... And a thought to get a wet suit!  Good Job.  Thank you so much for sharing!!!

SharenH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59835.html#msg59835

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:28:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great Sounds really nice! What type metal detector were you using to have such luck?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59855.html#msg59855

Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by nikzack
Shocked All I can say is WOW. What kind of detector were you using?

A couple of you have asked tghe sxame question so this is an easy one for me. The detector was a Whites PI 3000 and I was in the water for a total of 16 hours on and off. Of course I had to come out for nature calls and cups of tea. When i eventually came out of the water my skin looked like a prune hehe.
Quote:Posted by SharenH
O M G. . .  Now I have hope... And a thought to get a wet suit!  Good Job.  Thank you so much for sharing!!!

SharenH

Not just an ordinary wet suit sharen but a ten mm semi dry suit that allows water to seep in the the suit but warms up and retains your own body heat for longer periods of time.  you lose body heat 24-25 faster in water than you do on land therefore you are advised to use the best protection available especially in colder climates. Of course you could use a full dry suit but your body persiration will end up causing your clothes to be damp so if your going to end up wet a semi dry is the answer.
Oh dont laugh but in order to get into a semi dry i used to use a pair of womens tights hehe and of course a good pair of diving boots and gloves completes the outfit.  hope it helps and good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59885.html#msg59885

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 03:45:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Alan, you have provided anecdotal evidence and I will contribute to that with my own. In the mid 1970s, I was pulling 60 rings an hour out of an area in Portsmouth, Virginia at 2 meters depth. This went on for weeks until the ring count dropped to around 2 per hour at the end. This was using an old Garrett Groundhog in a flashlight case which was water sealed.

The area was an old disused beach area that had hundreds of years of use and the rings showed it. Gold and silver coins were found in small quantities too. This is one of my most wonderful and treasured memories of my treasure hunting past. I need to get back in the water. Pardon me while I go charge up my Sea Hunter.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59887.html#msg59887

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 11:53:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

maybe i have insipred you too goldigger1950 yeah good memories die hard and its good to know what others too were reaping the benifits from water hunting too. hehehe i can just imagine you now hehehe cant wait to get back into the old briney heheehe thats where the gold is but as you know you have to look for it.  I just thought this might encourage some of the newbies as well as the oldies to have a crack and try their luck.  I could of put others up on here too but if they saw a carpet full of gold rings they would probably die with envy. hehehe But please by all means dig out those old pics and allow the others to see what anyone is capable of finding thats what this site is all about isnt it promoting the hobby and encouraging others to follow in your footsteps?  cheers alan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9470.msg59914.html#msg59914

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: