[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are storms on the horizon most days in winter here. As with all storm fronts, there are breaks of fine weather and I took advantage of that on Saturday to go for a walk and pretend I had my detector with me. As it  happens, the bride and I were out for a drive. We passed by some of our favorite ocean vistas to see how things were. After satisfying ourselves that the Indian Ocean was still in place, I went for a short walk while my other half settled in to read her book. She never leaves home without one.

The wind was blowing fiercely. I had a notion of what a car feels like when it's being sandblasted. The sand was wet underfoot but still the wind managed to blow the top layers away exposing lots of beach debris. I couldn't help myself. I stopped a passing grocery bag which approached me at a high rate of speed. It had no holes in it so I used it to start picking up the rubbish that was being exposed. Don't worry. It didn't escape my mind that goodies would be there as well. The sand had a herringbone look to it and everything heavier than a grain of that sand was exposed to view. Based on how deep I usually find what I saw exposed, it looked to me as if the top 10cm had been opened for inspection.

The heavy items like bottle caps, screw caps, seaweed, bits of wood and coins were there in quantity. The only things missing from this picture were my finds pouch, sand scoop and detector. Earlier, the waves had been over 3 meters but now had subsided to a gentle washing of the sand at water's edge. The first two images below show the overall condition of the sand with the debris poking through. The third shows a beer bottle cap on its little sand pedestal. The fourth shows an Australian $2 coin resting on top of the sand. All together, I collected 18 coins in 20 minutes and a nearly full bag of trash. Batteries are cheaper when you don't need to swing a coil.

The last two pictures show the overall weather conditions and the beach itself. Note the rainbow over the stone escarp in the fifth picture. When I first got there, the clouds where pristine white fluffy guys in the distance. As you can see, they got very black as they got closer and just a few seconds after I took the last photo, the sky opened up and I walked back to the car. My wife laughed at the mildly soaked guy sitting next to her but I had thoroughly enjoyed my walk. If not for the car seats getting soaked, I would have stayed longer and gotten more soaked.

These moments of life when things happen and you just happen to be there at the right moment have a name. It's called serendipity. It may be years before I see the beach that way again. I am very happy that whatever serendipity caused me to drive by that beach at that moment and pushed me out of the car for a walk came by. Long live serendipity! Be alert. Your serendipity is coming soon!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5977.msg36504.html#msg36504

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

20062009.jpg
20062009_001.jpg
20062009_002.jpg
20062009_003.jpg
20062009_004.jpg
20062009_005.jpg

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:39:19 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline buldit
Copper Member

one of my findings
Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines
Referrals: 0

270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:54:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

wow! ill wait for that moment specially im on hunting mode.

-lalit

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5977.msg37486.html#msg37486

Offline Rebel73153
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

840.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Tesoro Compadre
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:35:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like a great day. Nice pics you took. Thanks for sharing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5977.msg37603.html#msg37603

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:08:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow! what a gorgeous area you live near. I think I need to get out of the Midwest   Sad  It's great you pick up that litter and don't mind doing so. It ticks me off to see litter in such pristine areas. Anywho............. sounds like a great day!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5977.msg37611.html#msg37611

Offline ammc
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Arab Emirates

115.00 Gold