[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline coloma goldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France
Referrals: 0

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:03:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

We have lots of miles of beaches to cover. I am curious as to how the other beach detectorists carry their gear.. I have a sand screen (about 15" diameter), a sand scoop, small shovel, detector, hip pouch, etc.  I am thinking of getting an inexpensive  backpack-type carrying pouch (without a top) and simply putting the screen,shovel and sand scoop (long handle type) in the back back so that I can have my hands free with the detector while covering lenghty distances.. What do that rest of you do to cope with this issue?  I guess I could carry those other things in one hand or hanging them from a belt loop but neither seem practical for the long haul. Or I could simply use the sand scoop however, I have found that many times, a small shovel and screen are easier to use for deeper targets (the sand scoop is good for 3-4").  Coloma Gold

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27582.msg195521.html#msg195521

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:16:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

One of the guys I've gone fossil hunting with has a small plastic garbage can with wheels. He carts everything along then picks an area to work. At first I thought it a little much and probably would not do it my self. But it seemed to work well for him. He has water, shovel, scoop, sieve, etc in it. Advantage was every one else was going back to the trucks for snacks and water he just kept going.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27582.msg195523.html#msg195523

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:59:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

If just going on a walk about type trip, I use a vest sorta like this one.

One set of batteries wrapped in foam to keep them cool.

Liter of H2O.

Hand Trowel .

One of those pocket survival kits.  You know the Cheapo aluminum box with Tube Tent, Fish Hooks, Matches, And instructions you use to make a fire!  LOL

Every thing else is in the Van.

Down here on the Border you NEVER, NEVER get out of sight of your vehicle.

Chances are it will at least be Emptied of its contents or just plane Gone!   LOL!

Gold Panning, I'm able to get the van to the spot I work.

That gives me a base camp DOG included.

Them Dogs sure do there stuff if they give a hoot about ya.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27582.msg195525.html#msg195525

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

44-7268.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:23:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I carry a sling with water, first aid stuff, sun screen and snacks across my back. No sieve for me but my sand scoop is in the hand not swinging the detector. For purposes of endurance, I have cultivated the ability to use either hand for scooping and/or swinging. Worth the effort, believe me. It feels awkward for a while using your non-dominant hand for something but after a while, you get used to it.

My pouch is at my waist with three sections. The largest one for trash, the next largest one for goodies and one small secret compartment for high value items which only see the light of day after they are inserted there when I am completely alone or at home.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27582.msg195563.html#msg195563

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I wear a daypack style backpack thats expandable. Carry water, sunscreen, bug repellant, first aid kit, epi pen (only allergic to bees, but I'm a goner if I get stung in the wilderness without it), benadryl, tylenol,  snacks, extra ziplock bags for strange finds like a snake a couple weeks ago. I cut off his head and have it drying, I'll post a pic of his gorgeous mug when its dried lol. And I use them to sort rocks or touching something I dont want to touch with my hands. You'd be surprised how much you use them when you know you have them. Within 10 miles of my house I have a lifetimes worth of good detecting land, so I ride my mountain bike. Saves on gas, and I dont have to worry about leaving my truck. Lock the bike to a tree and detect in a circle back to it, or if there was a beach here (like I do the rivers here) I detect close to the water one direction and further away coming back.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27582.msg195598.html#msg195598

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline coloma goldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks.... In my environment I don't imagine that I will need much other than water, munchies, a rain slicker and possible first aid kit.  I'll be wearing a hat and sun screen is not a problem for me (and as a hobby beekeeper, I'm not allergic to stings).  I am not going long distance at any particular time but was wanted to decide the easiest way to carry by limited gear, specifically, the sand screen,sand scoop and shovel. I think I will consider the 'day pack' approach. I have a travel day pay that is very lightweight however, not large enough for the screen. Therefore, I will search for a slightly larger type of day pack or something along those lines...Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27582.msg195626.html#msg195626

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: