[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« on: August 27, 2011, 06:10:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was called for a ring search for a couple about her husbands wedding band lost in the water at Gyro Beach.  The ring is a Tungsten carbide ring and the couple have only been married for a couple of months.

Now as most MD’ers know, we can detect Tungsten carbide, but it’s a “Hard” ring to find… a little MD humour.  Now this was a long distance find, and what I mean by that is the person who lost the ring or item is not present to pinpoint the area.  So the search is a needle in the haystack because all we have to go on are aerial photographs from Google maps to get an idea of where it could be.  Most of us here know that this type of info can narrow it down to about… the size of a soccer pitch!

The first search was definitely not in the right area.  Both myself and Ken D. ( a MD’er in the area as well and member here on RingFinders) looked for hours and found nothing but change and clutter (caps, hairpins, pulltabs, ect)

After discussing the search with Melissa and her husband Andrew, we determined a different area with better detail.  So with this new information and location to search, we are at the task again the next day!  Hour and a half into the search I pull up a mens wedding band…. but it was Titanium.  At this point I thought I found it for sure… I just figured that they where wrong on the type of ring.  I sent Melissa an e-mail with the picture of the ring attached….”no I’m sorry, but that is not the right one…”  AAagh!

Ok well after we regrouped we arranged to meet at the beach the next day so that Melissa could point us in the right area without a doubt.

An hour and an half later.. I pull up another ring.  Big fat and heavy…but a little more shinny than I thought it would be…(they tend to look more dark and no scratches)…. then I noticed the symbol in the inside… it’s gold.  The first time I have ever been disappointed in finding a gold ring!

What are the odds of finding two mens wedding bands in the same area that the Tungsten one is lost in?

Well the two rings are posted up on Castanet.net under community lost and found and hopefully we can return them to the owners.

The moral to this story?….MARK YOUR SPOT!… CONTACT US ASAP!

If you notice your ring slip off or see it drop bellow the waves….Mark your spot!… Stand still, get someone to bring you something to mark the spot to get back to it later… A pile of stones… a stick out of the water….handful of pennies…. anything to mark the spot…  Because at that point, it would take us longer to get there than it would for us to find it!… Just something to keep in mind.

In my books, no search is ever over until the item is found.  So this one goes into the cold case files and will be revisited at a later date…

James

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27217.msg192562.html#msg192562

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: