[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dave49Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I never asked for a video. Garrett's gonna tell me it's great on a salt water beach. They're not gonna tell me its sucks. Come on

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg133856.html#msg133856

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dave49
I never asked for a video. Garrett's gonna tell me it's great on a salt water beach. They're not gonna tell me its sucks. Come on

That's not true at all. What they WILL tell you is a yes or no to your question. If the model does not suit your purposes, they will advise you as to which model does work for you.

It must be awful to live your life as a cynic, mate. Those are people on the other end of your e-mail request, not monsters. Just ask at Garrett. They'll give you a straight answer.

If you don't like the answer you get here, do not ever ask for advice again. Yes, you didn't ASK for a video but I asked if you wanted someone to make one for you since you seem to be unfulfilled with the answers you got. Every review I read (3 of them) all gave it high marks in salt water. So you didn't even read the reviews I sent you to. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Posted on: December 28, 2010, 03:33:04 AM
there's no hundreds of videos and reviews about the AT pro on salt water beaches.

Sorry. You are correct. There aren't hundreds. There are over 1,000 - which of course is 10 hundreds. With over 13,000 hits, there were bound to be a few more than a hundred. I apologize for the mistake.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg133889.html#msg133889

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:40:55 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right and I am wrong. I will call Garrett in the morning.  Your cynic mate   Dave

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134104.html#msg134104

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Last Oct I wrote to Garrett. Below is a cut n paste of the reply:

Hi Andy,

Like any VLF detector, the AT Pro is not specifically designed for saltwater operation.  However, as some VLF?s have demonstrated, a VLF can operate reasonably well on the wet beach when adjusted accordingly.

The AT Pro will be even better than an most other VLF?s due to the AT?s DD coil and ability to ground balance to saltwater. The AT Pro does not have salt elimination like other Garrett models do.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks and have a great day,

Brad Keel

Customer Service - Tech Support

Garrett Metal Detectors

Ph: 972-494-6151 / 1-800-527-4011

Fax: 972-494-1881

Please Register or Login

http://www.garrett.com

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134131.html#msg134131

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 08:28:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right and I am wrong. I will call Garrett in the morning.  Your cynic mate   Dave

LoL

Just ring them and ask. As Hobbyist just found out directly from Garrett, they were not designed for salt water but after a couple of months of use, several people have described ways to compensate and make them a winner in salty water. Maybe in the near future, you'll be posting your techniques. Who knows?

I went to a mere 3 reviews from that Google link I gave you and all three mentioned that they were good in salt water and wet sand. When I got to that part, I stopped reading. After all, I don't own one so my interest was simply curiosity based on your question. Perhaps in reading more, they would have described some technique or other that gave them "super powers" to work salt water. I'll leave that up to you to discover. But do have fun in researching.

Posted on: December 29, 2010, 04:27:35 AM
Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
The AT Pro will be even better than an most other VLF?s due to the AT?s DD coil and ability to ground balance to saltwater.

From Garrett to you, the answer is yes.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134154.html#msg134154

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 08:49:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When Garrett replied my questions over 2 months back, I kept my reservations. Now user reviews from early adopters are in, and the general consensus is that is it usable in salt water, while in Pro Mode and sometimes sensitivity has to be tuned down to avoid chatter. Really looks like a good all-round machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134165.html#msg134165

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:39:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks guys, i appreciate the feedback!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134319.html#msg134319

Offline Blackhat
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Various Pulse machines. Nautilus, Minelab, Teknetics, Discovery.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Now you see why people change machines so often. The question was on how good the detector was in salt water COMPARED TO HIGHER PRICE DETECTORS. The answer is not that good....better than most single frequency modes but nowhere near a pulse, twin, triple or multifrequency machine.

Useable is not good enough nowdays. If it was we would all have old TR machines and just use the discrimination circuit to tune out the effects of salt water.

I would point out that I detect full time and have no connection with any detector company but do have in ground test beds that all are welcome to try and is the reason I have tested detectors that most on this forum have never heard of. There are still negative comments going round about the Pulse Devil (Nemisis).....vapourware is an often used comment. I've posted several reviews including pictures taken in my own garden but the sub-intelligent still claim it either doesn't exist or as a discriminating pulse detector can't work. They comment on the pictures was that anyone could knock up a control box. How they expain that Dave returned to the U.K. and demonstrated it to both a dealer and at a major U.K. detecting rally (1000 plus people) I don't know.

The problem with forums is that those who have little to brag about in the way of finds have to pre-order a new detector to try and make a name for themselves and have something to post about. Then they are stuck because if they say model X is a lemon its not going to be easy to sell on so the lie continues. The Whites Dual Field is a good example of this. Should be described as good value for a waterproof detector but instead is called the best/deepest detecting P.I. which it is not. The plus side is instead of paying ?650 sterling you can pick up a mint one a few months old for around ?400.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134532.html#msg134532

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 06:23:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Blackhat
Now you see why people change machines so often. The question was on how good the detector was in salt water COMPARED TO HIGHER PRICE DETECTORS. The answer is not that good....better than most single frequency modes but nowhere near a pulse, twin, triple or multifrequency machine.

Useable is not good enough nowdays. If it was we would all have old TR machines and just use the discrimination circuit to tune out the effects of salt water.

I would point out that I detect full time and have no connection with any detector company but do have in ground test beds that all are welcome to try and is the reason I have tested detectors that most on this forum have never heard of. There are still negative comments going round about the Pulse Devil (Nemisis).....vapourware is an often used comment. I've posted several reviews including pictures taken in my own garden but the sub-intelligent still claim it either doesn't exist or as a discriminating pulse detector can't work. They comment on the pictures was that anyone could knock up a control box. How they expain that Dave returned to the U.K. and demonstrated it to both a dealer and at a major U.K. detecting rally (1000 plus people) I don't know.

The problem with forums is that those who have little to brag about in the way of finds have to pre-order a new detector to try and make a name for themselves and have something to post about. Then they are stuck because if they say model X is a lemon its not going to be easy to sell on so the lie continues. The Whites Dual Field is a good example of this. Should be described as good value for a waterproof detector but instead is called the best/deepest detecting P.I. which it is not. The plus side is instead of paying ?650 sterling you can pick up a mint one a few months old for around ?400.

The question was about a specific machine. I and a few others answered the question in that vein. Notice that the topic subject says the name of the machine, which is a VLF/TR.

You have some valid points about the PI machine being more useful but the VLF/TR use is also valid - just different.

The questioner was given some straight answers about the machine he asked about. And along you come acting as if we were somehow in the wrong for telling him what he wanted to know. Unless I am really off the mark here, it sounds as if you believe the VLF/TR machine named the Garrett AT Pro is not something you would recommend. Assuming this is the case, do you have any direct experience with the machine at all or are you just suffering from lack of caffeine?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134555.html#msg134555

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Blackhat
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Various Pulse machines. Nautilus, Minelab, Teknetics, Discovery.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 09:53:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

"How good in salt water compared to OTHER HIGHER PRICE machines" was the question.  Answer is not very good compared to my Beach Hunter I.D., Whites Dual Field, Beachscan, Minelab, G.S.5, or Deepstar.
You didn't anwer his question you made up your own.

Now how about some depth measurements from you as to its performance on the average engagement ring. I think its very poor even if not on blacksand. I won't ask re say hammered coins as I doubt you will have any but I'll give a clue.....worse than a small ring.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg134574.html#msg134574

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: