[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 01:39:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by draaiorgel
There really is no need for all this carry on.

With that attitude, you wouldn't last 5 minutes as a moderator, mate. We're fair game to the dispossessed.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136689.html#msg136689

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline draaiorgel
Bronze Member

a pint or two
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Scotland
Referrals: 0

830.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F70 & GA 250
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 06:29:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
With that attitude, you wouldn't last 5 minutes as a moderator, mate. We're fair game to the dispossessed.

I bow to your superior knowledge as a moderator.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136706.html#msg136706

With friendly greetings, Ian and Eileen

Offline Blackhat
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Various Pulse machines. Nautilus, Minelab, Teknetics, Discovery.
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 09:33:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seems you can't prove Global moderators wrong by asking that they provide a basic performance detail which anyone who had tried the detector would know.

" I prefer a P.I. myself" was the comment made by GoldDigger and I can go to the Garrett importer and buy a Garrett SeaHunter II for less, so why buy a Pro ?

As the original question about what would be best in salt water why have a Pro that Brad (Garrett Customer Service) says doesn't have any special circuit or software to cope with salt water effects. Could be why their latest catalogue says "not recommended for salt water use".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136737.html#msg136737

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 10:13:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Blackhat
Seems you can't prove Global moderators wrong by asking that they provide a basic performance detail which anyone who had tried the detector would know.

They can be proven wrong with facts which you have few of.
I suggest to you Blackhat that before GD eats you alive you drop this and move on to other subjects Please.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136743.html#msg136743

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 01:33:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Blackhat

" I prefer a P.I. myself" was the comment made by GoldDigger and I can go to the Garrett importer and buy a Garrett SeaHunter II for less, so why buy a Pro ?

As the original question about what would be best in salt water why have a Pro that Brad (Garrett Customer Service) says doesn't have any special circuit or software to cope with salt water effects. Could be why their latest catalogue says "not recommended for salt water use".

He asked for my comments. I gave them. You came along and started arguing and slamming the machine without any real knowledge at all about the question. You did a few Google searches and came up with some negative comments and you swallowed them whole cloth. That's the issue here. Not my rightness or wrongness on the issue. I am an electronics engineer with design background in metal detectors and embedded processors. That sort of qualifies me to answer questions like this.

I do prefer a PI but the questioner indicated he wanted to use his machine in a multitude of ways making the PI impractical. As I stated, there is a place for the VLF/TR in salt water use. They've been used there for years with great success. The operator skills are the key to that success.

You have also made statements that I "admitted" something which I clearly did not. But then, why bother with facts now. You've ignored them. You may continue this game if you wish, mate, but I'd rather discuss other, more pleasant topics.

Posted on: January 10, 2011, 09:27:07 PM
Quote:Posted by draaiorgel
I bow to your superior knowledge as a moderator.

Now that's not at all necessary. A kiss on the ring would be acceptable.

It's not knowledge that gets us the job, it's volunteerism at work. You volunteer to help and to moderate discussions. The problem comes up when a user decides to "take on" a moderator. It would surprise you just how much we have to do as moderators to keep this the friendly, helpful place that it is.

Posted on: January 10, 2011, 09:32:08 PM
Quote:Posted by seldom
I suggest to you Blackhat that before GD eats you alive you drop this and move on to other subjects Please.

I don't eat people from Britain. I prefer people from Hawaii.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136775.html#msg136775

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline anvilmanco
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS Groundhog & PB Groundhog
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 02:29:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys, this was fun reading all these posts.  I just wish I understood all the technical jargon, but that's OK.  I also wish I had a real PUB down the street that I could walk to and have a pint with all of you.  That'd be great.  Oh well, I'll just go have a cold Sam Adams Winter Lager at my own Bar in the Man-Cave.

Love to all,

EKW / anvilmanco

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136785.html#msg136785

Offline dave49Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I solved my problem of whether it's worth it to buy a more expensive detector or the at pro. Saturday I went out on the beach in the cold metal detecting. And with my Minelab Safari I got a 17 signal which I usually get pull tabs or an occasional bottle cap. I dug up a Platinum 950 wedding ring. I'm not gonna sell it. Now I just feel I can put some extra money into a more expensive machine. I've read a lot of posts and seen a lot of positive feedback on this detector.  I'm gonna get a Minelab Excalibur 1000.  I do appreciate the help and even the criticism.  thanks   Dave

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136810.html#msg136810

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Minelab Excalibur 1000.

Good choice  Please give us a review once you get and and have a few hours use with it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136811.html#msg136811

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline dave49Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 05:55:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will. I'm gonna order one this week and weather permitting you'll get a review.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg136813.html#msg136813

Offline Blackhat
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Various Pulse machines. Nautilus, Minelab, Teknetics, Discovery.
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 07:10:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here we go again !  Dave asks for a detector for wading.He has other detectors. I say hang on (there's little water hunting at Cape Cod for a good few months yet), let the hype settle and he may well be able to pick up one cheaper as is happening here, main reason being that some have trouble reading the display. This is really having a go at Garrett ? Weird. Or perhaps others take my post as a attempt to bankrupt Garrett.
I'm then accused of not trying one by someone who has certainly not tried one. You could have just said take a picture and prove it or serial number. But that couldn't happen because I would have asked the same.

As for hammered silver being "cobs" is a Rolls Royce a Holden when its in Australia ? Cobs are thicker and usually irregular in shape.
No hammered silver on that part of the East Coast you say (or was it only one or two) ?  Do the research and you will find what's been lost and found. Plus a few Roman, Viking a few feet down in Maine in 1957, or go down Route 16 through Massachusetts past the site of the North African Islamic hoard found in 1787.

As for electronics experience that should have provided enough income to buy a few good detectors which would provide good and plentiful finds.

Better explain "advertise" while I'm here. Not to many have bought the Pro in the U.K. because they already have good land detectors and beach machines. For a few dollars more I can buy (if I didn't already own one) a Whites PI Dual Field. For less, and in many cases much less, a Fisher F70 or new Goldbug, DFX, X-Terra 705, MXT 300 or even a Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II.

The price that was to be ?650, now ?599 still converts to around $950 or you can import a "grey" machine for a fraction of the price which some did to avoid the new tax increase. Problem is faults or dead on arrival and the main dealer quite rightly says you have bypassed me so send it back to who you bought it from. To get a couple of the AT's together you have to advertise as I did on some British forums to find one within a hundred miles or so and we have just gone from snow to floods. With the Whites DF I finally managed to get together four machines and suprise, suprise, though there was only one inch air test difference between the best and worse there was no way the depths being quoted on the Whites forums could be managed. I even got a leading U.S. detector user to test in the low/no mineralisation ground of Florida. I was accused of working for Minelab at this point. With the T2 (I had one of the first to arrive in the U.S. Sports shops) build problems led to my having a couple of replacements. I said hold on till the problems were resolved and when problems were sorted with the 6.0, recommended to buy. Very nice detector, even better with the 6.5 and later versions. I still have mine. Was accused of being anti First Texas though so I shall add Garrett proudly to the companies that I've supposed to be against (didn't like the Infinium either so add that to my crimes).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19897.msg137113.html#msg137113

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: