[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SVBerry
Copper Member

To hunt for treasure is to find self.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sea Hunter Mark II
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great Yes! A targeting sweep vs a zone sweep. Works very good especially when time / tide is concern. This is a very good practice for steep tidal banking also. Good job...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg70795.html#msg70795

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 04:06:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice to see that everyone has their own technique.  The secret is to just keep trying, and figure out what works for you.  Develop your own system!  And don't give up. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg71030.html#msg71030

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Look for the woopies and dips in the beach.

That is were the goodies will fall.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg71036.html#msg71036

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

markg, there really isn't a so-called coin line on a beach, but there may be a few spots that tend to acumulate coins and jewelry. And there can be flotsam or debris line where the surf has carried the debris or flotsam to a certain distance up onto the shore and left it strewn along the shore. This line can give you an indication of where a line of items such as coins and jewelry may be found. It is a good policy to search along and anywhere  from the surf line to this debris/flotsam line. Jewelry could be found tangled up in seaweed or other debris here and coins could be found any where up to this line also. Look at the beach during a busy day when beach-goers are present--this will give you some clues as to where to search for items. All around Volleyball nets, gazebos, beach chairs and recliners, sea walls, and under boardwalks and piers. Remember to search under beach pavilions,etc. and under and around restrooms and even next to those outdoor showers sunbathers use to wash sand off them after being on beach. Search ground around vending machines-especially in front of them where coins may have slipped from person's hand and fell into grass or sand and became lost. Search any cuts or washouts in the sand--these sometimes allow folks to get to previously deeply buried coins and jewelry--GOOD  [great]LUCK

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg71040.html#msg71040

Offline markgTopic starter
Bronze Member

F75 finds for 6 months.
Thank you0

Activity
0%

750.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow, that was some good tips.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg72450.html#msg72450

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 12:17:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I also like to search around the concessions stand.  If it's a beach that has an area to rent boats or jetskis, I'll search there, too. Idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg73449.html#msg73449

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

You're right about that ....concessions stands are always a good choice, no matter where they are located.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg73849.html#msg73849

Offline tstowe
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garett Ace 250, White's Prizm II, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Explorer SE Pro
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 02:14:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by treasuremomo
markg, there really isn't a so-called coin line on a beach, but there may be a few spots that tend to acumulate coins and jewelry. And there can be flotsam or debris line where the surf has carried the debris or flotsam to a certain distance up onto the shore and left it strewn along the shore. This line can give you an indication of where a line of items such as coins and jewelry may be found. It is a good policy to search along and anywhere from the surf line to this debris/flotsam line. Jewelry could be found tangled up in seaweed or other debris here and coins could be found any where up to this line also. Look at the beach during a busy day when beach-goers are present--this will give you some clues as to where to search for items. All around Volleyball nets, gazebos, beach chairs and recliners, sea walls, and under boardwalks and piers. Remember to search under beach pavilions,etc. and under and around restrooms and even next to those outdoor showers sunbathers use to wash sand off them after being on beach. Search ground around vending machines-especially in front of them where coins may have slipped from person's hand and fell into grass or sand and became lost. Search any cuts or washouts in the sand--these sometimes allow folks to get to previously deeply buried coins and jewelry--GOOD  [great]LUCK

Well, after my wife digging up 8 quarters and 6 pennies all in a straight line on North Padre Island at a resort near Bali Park / Bob Hall Pier this weekend I have to disagree, though your statements are 99% correct. The line she dug all of them up in was a 3 feet wide area that is the border of high tide when it comes in. Things can be brought in there but not pulled back out. I went about a mile picking up these finds all in the same area as well as some twisted bits of wire that weighed about as much as a quarter. Please consider this: If "it" (a coin) has a certain mass and a certain weight you'll find objects of similar mass and weight in a line along the beach if the geography is similar. Looking for cuts and ripple troughs will give you small troves of treasure but finding a spot where, cracked, dried, mud-looking sand meets sand that is pulled and deposited from the highest that the high tide gets during the month is a 1000% no-brainer. There really is a line on many beaches and I'm sure some, though few are exceptions. I've hunted about 6 beach areas in the last few days and I could call what a target was based upon it's location from the water 100% of the time without digging, though I dug all of the targets. I'm sure if you have a deep-seeking P.I. detector the game changes but with an 6 inch to 12 inch limited depth range of your detectors it'll probably stay the same.
Why you would state there is no "coin line" and then kind of semantically contradict yourself with elaborate information about the "debris/flotsam line" I don't know.

And then there's also the "towel line"...

By the by, I had my wife running a Garrett Ace 250 and a White's Prizm II on each beach and man, the ace 250 sucks ass even 10-20 feet near the water. It just went nuts for the waves. The White's Prizm II was good all the way, though, even into the shallow water without waves. Pinpointing with either was impossible with mineralization, especially wet sand with black sand underneath (all metal mode failed on both).

Pictures will come soon.

TCS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg73865.html#msg73865

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:20:05 am by tstowe »
Offline jim/wpb
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT; Excalibur
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 08:45:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Visually study beach when patrons are there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg77836.html#msg77836

Offline mumszie
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

CZ-20 & Garrett GTI 1500
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 05:31:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi gng's!  I just located this forum and I've been lurking.  There are some very good videos on You Tube about MD'ing.  Especially check out the video "tips" that Surfdigger makes.  Just go to You Tube and type in surfdigger.  That will help you a lot.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7257.msg78603.html#msg78603

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: