[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline solmerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain
Referrals: 0

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer XS, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites SurfMaster PI, GoldPic III PI, DeltaPulse 2,
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:15:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, I'm considering selling my Tiger Shark because I've red that is too falsing in salt water (I don't know where it false, in the surf, with the unit completely underwater....). I've no tested it because I live so far away from sea, but I'm thinking about holidays....I don't want to carry a detector which will false upon arrived at the beach... Sorry for my bad English  Smiley

Thanks in advance.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11066.msg70835.html#msg70835

Good Luck and happy Finds !!!

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

if your going to use a detector in salt water get a PI that are not affected by Salt water or Black mineralised sands a PI will search deeper and rings usually are found wherever black sands are as you will find out if you use a PI.  Theres no such thing as a good all round detector for use on land as well as in the water.  A detector is only a tool just like any tool some are designed for a special purpose.  Use the right tool for the job and you will get results... regards alan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11066.msg70838.html#msg70838

Offline solmerTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer XS, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites SurfMaster PI, GoldPic III PI, DeltaPulse 2,
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:08:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Alan, thanks for the advice, I'm considering buying a PI unit, what's your opinion about Garret Infinium ?

Thanks in advance,

Good Luck and happy finds!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11066.msg70968.html#msg70968

Good Luck and happy Finds !!!

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:59:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm sorry, Solmer I cannot give you any information about Garrett detectors for a couple of good valid reasons. Firstly a freind of mine had one and it leaked. It was returned to Don Cooper in South Australia for repair the machine was only a month old when this happened.  About four months later the unit was returned and found to be not working as it should.  It was returned to Cooper to be repaired properly.  I forget what the problem was anyway Cooper kept stalling and messing about coming up with lame excuses why there was a delay in the machines return.  By the time it was returned his guarantee had expired and he was expected to pay for the repairs that Cooper had failed to fix the first time.
Don Cooper was the sole importer of Garrett in Australia and was only in it for the money and had no real interest in his buying public.
I have always said that greed is a terrible thing. While others say Garrett is a good detector thats their opinion not mine.
After run in and many arguments with Don Copper I refused to give Garrett any publicity in the form of Test Reports knowing all I was doing was enriching himself and not interested in Customer Service.
Anyone who has copies of G&T going back to the 80s will find that Cooper attempted to slag me off by writing insidious remarks trying to discredit myself.  He became my Arch Enemy in those days and I even told him to stop because one day he would have a heart attack. That came true by the way.  I make no bones about putting this up as a reply to your question because all my life I have tried to protect the buying public from wasting their hard earned money on machines that did not come up to standard or had problems that could not be solved leaving the purchaser with a dud deal.  The same thing happened when Tesoro released a new Turtle underwater metal detector that was sent to me by Mr. David Bishop to test for a report in the magazine.  That machine had a few minor penny saving faults like the screws that held the knobs on  were made of cheap metal and rusted. They should of used Stainless steel. Also the clips that held the control box were supposed to have been made of stainless rusted. Now just imagine what that would of done to my name, reputation and credibility had a written a glowing report?  Anyone can write a glowing report about a machine but how many can write an honest one as I have always attempted to do.  It must be remembered that its the buying public that relies on the the honesty of the man who writes the report. Whilst some write glowing reports few if any will look for the faults and report them.
However in your case because of one crooked dealer who ripped off one of my freinds I am not in a position to give fair comment.
Garrett have in the past made good detectors and have stood by their customers with a good after sales service.
I chose to write about detectors i used myself Whites and Later Fisher had things been different maybe Garrett too might of got its fair share of publicity.  Few people know that prior to the release of the Excalibur I was in long talks about my concerns with this machine as it had no less than 14 seals on it. But such was minelabs haste to grab a portion of the new underwater market they released it and in doing do unleashed a leaker onto the unsuspecting buying public.
G&T which was owned by Minelab at the time would never put to print anything that might damage the image of its products and the only way i could make that information available was through forums.  Minelab have a lot to answer for because with the release of that magic wand they named excalibur they could impose import duties on any imorted underwater detector pushing up the prices.
By making the competitions machines more costly Minelab could increase the price of its products too enhancing its profit at the expense of the buying public.  After that Minelab never got any publicity from myself.  I always looked after the man in the street and fought for him after all it was his blood sweat and tears he was parting with to enjoy and take part in a good hobby.
Sorry you will have to get the information you seek from others who have used the machines themelves.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11066.msg70975.html#msg70975

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When searching in salt water, a Pulse Induction or PI unit may work best--I've used a Fisher 1280-x and a custom-built PI unit and the Pulse unit was far better for use in salt water. VLF     and TR units both react to salt in the salt water and cause the unit problems. A pulse unit while having slight problems with overcoming the salty  conditions, doesn't havenearly as much of a problem doing so. The Tiger Shark may be able to work at a reasonable amount of stability in salt water--but a PI unit is more stable.
 I've heard that Tesoro water hunting detectors have a problem with leaking water into the electronics...I had this happen with a White's Surfmaster PI unit one time. I was told by my detector technician friend to hurry up and rinse the electronis out with fresh water and then pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the electronics to dry out the water in the unit. After letting unit dry out with the door to the electronics open, we turned it on and it worked good as new.
If you're not a technician or know one close by, I'd send a unit that leaked back to repair center to let them check it out--especially if it is under warranty. Wise
JW FISHER makes the 8X...and a 6x...a lot of treasure salvagers use these units and they are supposed to be good and durable. The old Garrett Seahunters are good units, but as Allan says, they may leak every now and again if seals are old or not right.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11066.msg71068.html#msg71068

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: