[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline treasuremomoTopic starter
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:49:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I HAVE MADE MY OWN SCOOPS AND FLOATING SIFTERS-TAKE  1X4 LUMBER AND BUILD A BOX OR RECTANGLE--TACK OR STAPLE HARDWARE CLOTH ON BOTTOM--FLOAT  IT WITH 2-LITER PLASTIC BOTTLES, STYOFOAM NOODLES, OR INNERTUBE. I MADE A STURDY FLOAT SIFTER BY USING 4" DIAM PVC PIPES AND 4 ELBOWS GLUED TOGETHER TO MAKE RECTANGULAR SHAPED FLOAT---I JUST PLACED A 1X4 LUMBER BOX INSIDE OF PIPES AND WRAPPED PLASTI-COATED WIRE OR STRING AROUND IT TO ESSENTIALLY SEW IT TO THE FLOAT.I MADE MY SCOOPS BY TAKING A PIECE OF 4" DIAM  PVC AND CUTTING A 45 DEGREE ANGLE ON ONE END--I CUT OUT SOME OF THE UNDER SIDE AND SEWED A PIECE OF HARDWARE CLOTH WITH 1/2" DIAM HOLES IN TO THE UNDERSIDE-THIS HELPS SIFT SAND AND DEBRIS OUT----AND THEN I PUT A HANDLE ON TOP WITH BOLTS--HANDLE OF PVC OR WOOD. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OTHER'S SUGGESTIONS ON HOMEMADE STUFF. FLOAT SIFTER NOT FOR ROUGH WATER-- IN ROUGH WATER, JUST USE YOUR SCOOP TO SIFT OUT DEBRIS AND SAND----AND BUY A GOOD STAINLESS STEEL WATER SCOOP--MY HOMEMADES WERE HAND SCOOPS ONLY--

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg53827.html#msg53827

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:55:29 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:46:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg53861.html#msg53861

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:55:52 pm by outback »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

SOUND'S LIKE YOU DID A GREAT JOB ,,CARE TO SHARE A PIC OF IT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg53865.html#msg53865

micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Didn't know having it in caps lock was yelling-ha!  I'll try to keep it down from now on! Fight

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg53868.html#msg53868

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:42:05 pm by treasuremomo »
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Outback, I'm not exactly too knowledgeable about some computer stuff yet--I've got a digital camera and use it all the time but never have transferred pics to one of these sights yet-all I can tell you is it's a box with  sides about 4" tall all around-and it's got wire mesh hardware cloth tacked to bottom. The float is made from 4" diameter PVC pipes with the 4 corners (elbows)glued with PVC glue.Just attach float to sifter by wrapping with wire or cord. Makes good sturdy floating sifter.Of course, you can use some of these kiddy pool toys made of styrofoam called Noodles as the floats-just tie them on with string or wire.  You should have seen me on the beach in Mississippi with that homebuilt sifter I used 2-liter plastic coke bottles on for floats-ha! Folks gave me some funny looks-ha! It worked really well, though.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg53874.html#msg53874

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:46:46 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:24:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another simple floatable sieve can be made from a plastic washing up bowl and an inner tube.
Simply get a large inner tube (The inside diameter has to be large), and a plastic washing up bowl that will slide into the centre of it when inflated, but be niclely held by the wedge shape and the flange.
Next drill 1/2" holes in the bottom of the bowl so that water and mud or sand can run out.
Also drill three or four holes around the top of the bowl so that you can attach straps around the inner tube to hold the bowl in place if it gets too heavy, use, 3/8" rope and run it through the top holes over the inner tube, and into three or four bottem holes and tighten.
Now you have stability, and somewhere to anchor your sifter too, or tow it around from.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg54051.html#msg54051

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:32:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rayredditch, that is truely simple to do--but it has been my experience that the wire mesh hardware cloth with 1/2" holes will allow sand and mud to go through quicker and better. And the square holes do a lot easier job of sifting stuff out-something about the corners allowing more sand and muck through and round hules hold onto the mud and sand stubbornly.Think about it, there's more surface area all over the plastic pan where sand and mud won't get through-but not the wire one. Those wires cut right through the sand and muck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg54053.html#msg54053

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:38:04 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It sure does, mine was just a quick one if you?re stuck for a sieve and need to bang one up quick for a weekend away or as a reserve if one busts. The wire mesh is far better (Inner tubes can burst or puncture too), and wood holds out well and floats good, especially if you have a few boat fenders around it (Small type).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg54058.html#msg54058

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 07:02:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

I went to a cheap dollar store and bought a large plastic bowl ( I bought a white one which helps stuff show up better in it) which has small holes in it, they are about 1/8" holes. I needed small holes due to many bullets in the areas I search. I tie wrapped a circular magnet (from an old car speaker) to the bottom center in it, and then used a piece of styrofoam tube (the kind which kids use for swimming) and tie wrapped it around the rim. Tied a 8' cord to it, and put a spring clamp (like you use for clamping keys to your belt) on the end and just clip it to my belt loop and walk into the water. Has worked well for years and only costs a few bucks at most, and can be made in less than a 10 minutes. Nothing to rot out or break down, and sure beats the small items from falling thru the holes in my scoop and causing endless scooping.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8593.msg57023.html#msg57023

Offline countryboy1170
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold