[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ColinTTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Aquapulse
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:23:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Can someone tell me if objects detected on the beach and within the surf line tend to move with the tide or currents?  I am asking this because I wanted to know the value of recording a gps position if stuff is subject to movement?  Thanks   ColinT

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21761.msg150029.html#msg150029

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think this was pretty much covered in your other post.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21761.msg150053.html#msg150053

Offline eyepatch
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:06:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is a very interesting question.  Has any study been done to itemize the exact locations of ships gone down or wrecked off the N. C. coast and how far out they may have been at the time.  If testimony from crew states they had a certain light house in sight....or even "light ships" or boats going up and down the intercoastal channels.....and if we know the height of the light house, and the approximate height from water of the deck from the ship....is it possible to more exactly pin point the location of the capsized wreck?  The length of travel of an object on the floor of the ocean would, it seems to me, depend on how rough the current was...say in a hurricane.  There are also currents, depending on the structure of the sea bottom, that would tend to push the objects further out to sea, particularly following a hurricane.  The question arises as to when is the best time to hit the beaches for possible finds....is it immediately following a hurricane?  Then, if so, it would be important to know where "the closest" ships went down from the beach.  The other interesting parameter would have to consider the "lateral" displacement of objects on the sea floor.  Let us say that we find a coin on the beach that is definitely tagged to a wrecked ship that is miles to the left or right of our find....and if we know the number of "severe" hurricanes that have hit the area....can we not then grossly approximate the lateral influence a single hurricane can have on movement of the object.  It would be a wild guess...so what.  I think the biggest problem would be the amount of sand and debri that has accumulated on top of the objects.  What forces come to bare on moving this sand?  Hurricanes?  A very interesting topic....

Eyepatch

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21761.msg151151.html#msg151151

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: