[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:12:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by LostViking
i know about the painting of the object, but i just like the static sound to indicate size under ground. the stronger sound, the bigger target.
i do not know how to explain this proper, but the ebinger gave a nice static sound who would get louder when you had a bigger concentration of signature.
lets say you had one ring in one place, and a stack of three on top of each other another place. does the cheap detectors signal difference there?

The "larger" sound is due to proximity, not size. If you rub a quarter on a coil, it will sound like a manhole cover. Move it 18 inches away and it will be a whisper. Both sounds from the same sized object. No matter what detector you have, the distance to the target will determine the sound, not the size. A car will be a whisper of a sound if you are far enough away.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251380.html#msg251380

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
7%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

6075.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

static sound to indicate size under ground

I guess that is the difference between a military grade and a hobby/professional metal detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251425.html#msg251425

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline LostVikingTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Virgin Islands, British

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 12:07:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

I must sound like a total newbie trying to explain this, hehe. What I like about the static dynamic sound is that if I am for example looking for something like a canon who is buried in an angle, I could determine which way it was laying due to the static noise. Beeps would only give me a rough outline. I just love the system and was curious if it was out there for underwater use. I could also learn different signatures in time, being able to "know" what to expect, know it the object was round and so on in weary little time. I would not need to paint so much, a simple circular sweep staying within margins of pitch would give me a mental image right away. It is just fancy stuff who I really don't need, but it is awesome to use. I know the signature is weaker if buried deep, I was removing landmines with a metal detector. Sometimes the terrorists would bury handgranades under them, so I got used to listening for the amount of signature, of it was right or "too much".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251540.html#msg251540

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
7%
Male
Australia

6075.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well you need to get a machine and try it. Then you understand the difference of the one you are used to
All PI underwater machines are much of the same, and they will beep on anything.
VLF they are the same too. Some with more bells and whistles than others But they will all discriminate small iron.
If you got time read through the lost treasure magazine metal detector field test pages. Allot of info there.
Give yourself time. After a few reviews you will understand more.
 Here is the link

Please Register or Login

http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests

By the way the detector you where using how deep would pick up let say a quarter buried in soils?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251544.html#msg251544

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

I must sound like a total newbie trying to explain this, hehe. What I like about the static dynamic sound is that if I am for example looking for something like a canon who is buried in an angle, I could determine which way it was laying due to the static noise.

There is no machine that will automatically do this. The operator can use his machine with skill to determine this sort of thing but it really is moot. No matter what orientation an object is, only a fool leaves it uninvestigated based on a machine. Trust me, you're going to dig everything so stop messing around with questions that have been answered a dozen times. EVERY machine can be made to do what you want to do. The only limiting factor is how you operate your device.

Posted on: February 20, 2013, 02:38:40 PM
I know the signature is weaker if buried deep, I was removing landmines with a metal detector. Sometimes the terrorists would bury handgranades under them, so I got used to listening for the amount of signature, of it was right or "too much".

In other words, you learned your machine. That will happen with whatever underwater machine you use. YOU will be the key, not the machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251550.html#msg251550

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sometimes the terrorists would bury handgranades under them, so I got used to listening for the amount of signature, of it was right or "too much".

Humm how could you know if the signature was right if you did not know what was in the ground? Sorry for my ignorance but I'd really like you to explain this to me.

Regards xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251573.html#msg251573

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
Humm how could you know if the signature was right if you did not know what was in the ground? Sorry for my ignorance but I'd really like you to explain this to me.

He really couldn't know. What he can assume is this. In an area where there is likely to be nothing but land mines, he can assume any large target is one. If he lifts his detector from the ground and can develop an outline, he has now got the ability to sense a denser area in the center meaning another large object below. This ability is from the coil being elevated. You know this from experience.

He also calls combatants "terrorists" - not something a soldier would do. Take it from me with 22 years on active duty, now retired. An enemy soldier is just that. Even those who plant landmines. A terrorist is something entirely different. A terrorist is someone who plants a bomb or device to be used against many NON combatants. In other words, he creates terror for the sake of creating terror. He is not someone who kills enemy soldiers. That's a soldier.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251597.html#msg251597

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 02:06:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD but having lived in South Africa for as long as I have I do know what a terrorist is LOL when I was in Europe I spoke about AL Qaeda but I was told that it did not exist so I dropped the subject and just as well that I did not tell them that I lived two houses away from some Taliban (this was in Senegal) I have many stories to tell about my adventures in Africa but I just don't bother anymore as people are so ignorant that they do not want to believe what I tell them. Any way from what I read the detector that he used was a VLF and not PI, but for his under water research a PI will be a better option, well in my opinion any way     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251643.html#msg251643

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline LostVikingTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Virgin Islands, British

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hehe, seems like there is a lot of questions here now I did not have the chance to follow up on

I used the word terrorist, not to describe the opposing force, but the people in general who put fairly new landmines is places like public roads and playgrounds used by civilians. Those and surveys wore most of our jobs. I had to pitch my detector right because different kinds of soil makes different signatures. In some places there are lots of minerals who would give a fairly big signal, and in others, no worries at all. I do agree on the soldier description thoug, a man who fights for a cause against another is in some twisted way honorable.
The Americans use the word insurgent now, but I'll doubt that will become a mainstream word.

Anyway, I want to use my detector to find new wrecks, not explore on beaches. If the signature is small, I will not bother with it. I want to survey areas and leave out the small stuff. If I hit a place with lots of signature, I would dig - if not, I would keep on swimming maximizing my air. I have an area with lots of Unchartered wrecks I want to check out, and its about 40 miles in total. In square miles, probably several thousand. I do not want to dig all that up on SCUBA.

A point indicator would just confuse me.

As for knowing what sound "is right", it simply means to exclude what is too small to worry me. All indications are not potential weapons. Some could be an old rusty barb wire, who's dust are long ago spread by wind over a large area making PI indication impossible.

Posted on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:27 PM
Also I know a magnometer would serve me better on this area, but this is more like a hobby than a scientific survey, that i do not plan to make any big money out of. Also I can't afford a tow mounted magnometer, which is a big reason for excluding it as an option.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251687.html#msg251687

Offline treasure dave the pirate
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

395.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:54:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

how deep can the tesoro sand shark go under water???

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46080.msg251705.html#msg251705

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: