[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France
Referrals: 0

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 07:45:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

beachcomberdan,

Sounds like you have a lot of experience with beaches... not so much for me. I recently bought a universal MD, the Whites' DFX 300.. I'm pleased with the dryland use but am overwhelmed with the various noises I got yesterday on the mediterranean beach. I used the factory pre-set program for jewelry and beaches. I suspect the big 12" coil is one of the problems (too many conflicting targets/trash). Another is that I may have to turn the discriminate higher. I was wondering if you have any suggested literature to read that would assist me with tweeking my unit so that I can properly: 1) understand it;and 2) use my unit successfully at the beach?

I do not want to buy a unit specifically for the beach at this time. I would rather try to be better at understanding the unit since the knowledge of any unit can be applied to many units. Anything that you can suggest?   (I finally switched it to the factory pre-set program, coins & Jewelry and had some better success).  I don't think there is anything wrong with the md but rather my ability (which I am trying to improve on).
Thanks, Coloma Gold

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg194342.html#msg194342

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher x 1265 * Garrett ace 250  * Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 01:29:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I use the Tesoro Sand Shark, this is a great machine, i have had a Sea Hunter and an Infinium and both are good but the Sand Shark is lighter even with the 10.5 coil and it runs quieter than the garrets. It is as deep as you will want to dig and the way they have the box mounted where you can move it around just by pressing in on the four clips is great. life time warranty and price just over $600.00

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg194365.html#msg194365

Offline beachcomberdan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher CZs, Gold Bug 1&2, Whites Dual Field
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I hunt here in the Southwestern US, so my detectors have to contend with a lot of trash, hot rocks, and heavy mineralization. My Whites Dual Field has the stock 12" coil and I run a 10 1/2" spider coil on the Fisher CZs. This covers me pretty good on the beaches and not much gets away from me.  As far as literature goes, I have read a number of books by Clive James Clynick and they have been very helpful. He has two books for the DFX specifically that may be worth looking at. Another beach guy I know uses a DFX and has had very good luck with the large coil. A lot of it comes down to programming from what he told me. He said it took him at least three hours to program it for the beaches since there are low, medium, and high mineralization conditions here. Also, once you have a good program, write it down in a safe place in case you have to reprogram it.

Good Luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg195664.html#msg195664

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

I use the sand shark, i have had the garrett Sea hunter and the infinium both are very good machines. I like the shark because it is lighter and less noise. The one thing you need to remember is that you have to move slower with it because it is so sensitive. I believe it is just as deep and you can hip mount if you want but with the controls to the rear it balances out very well and seem to be easier on your back. If you are using it in the water a lot a PI machine is a must, all three are PI detectors. If you are using it in the sand then i like the Fisher F5, it has some discrimination and you won't be digging all the foil and junk as much.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg195727.html#msg195727

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:48:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

I use a Minelab Sovereign in the water most the time. I waterproofed it. It is actually the same works that are in a Excaliber, but I don't like the uncormfortable setup an Excaliber has. I hip mount my Sovereign, added a battery readout meter to it, waterproof connectors so I can change coils, and it is easy to use. I also have a Pulse Auqastar 11 detector but I hardly get to use it due to too much trash in the water that I detect. Pulse detectors have no discrimination so aren't good in trashy areas.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196435.html#msg196435

Offline nlartist
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Cibola and Deleon
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:34:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

I recently bought a Sand Shark and am very happy with it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196714.html#msg196714

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 07:43:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have tried many different detectors in the water. The older Fisher CZ20 was good but it didn't have any tone differences which I like about the Sovereigns and Excalibers. I had a waterproof Tesoro Piranha PI with no discriminate, it really wasn't going any deeper than the CZ20 or Sovereigns, plus the printed circut coil was sort of bouyant and a pain to use. I had a old Garrett Master Huinter which had the orange donut coil and it worked pretty well back in the 80's but the box wasn't waterproof and was heavy, so it was only good for knee deep water. I tried the talking Garrett Master Hunter and it was just average for depth so I got rid of it. I tried a Whites 5900 but found it had problems working in the wet sand near the salt water. Had a Minelab Quattro but it was too heavy for long hunts and was very sensitive to too many tiny items on the beach such as hair pins and bits of foil and would drive you crazy with all the tones and numbers on the meter. With some trial and error playing with the settings, I might have made it work ok, but it was just too heavy anyway. It never did go any deeper than my Sovereign. Had a Goldquest SS, and it went nice and deep on gold and was hip mounted so it worked well, but no discriminate and box was not waterproof so I sold it too. Bought a used Pulsepower Aquastar11 PI which is in a waterproof Ikelite box and it goes deep, but no discriminate. Kept it, as it is the best underwater detector I ever used in non trash areas. No longer made, but there is a newer model made by PulsePower ( Goldscan, I think) which I believe does even better, costs about $2300, that's why I don't have one,  I'm retired now and my cash flow isn't what it used to be.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196719.html#msg196719

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 10:31:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks JCpinCt,

I enjoyed reading your replies as well as the others. Quite the interesting thread and so I'm gathering good info on my next beach machine. nlartist & Dinger45 have some good results too with the Tesoro's which I like.

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
I have tried many different detectors in the water. The older Fisher CZ20 was good but it didn't have any tone differences which I like about the Sovereigns and Excalibers. I had a waterproof Tesoro Piranha PI with no discriminate, it really wasn't going any deeper than the CZ20 or Sovereigns, plus the printed circut coil was sort of bouyant and a pain to use. I had a old Garrett Master Huinter which had the orange donut coil and it worked pretty well back in the 80's but the box wasn't waterproof and was heavy, so it was only good for knee deep water. I tried the talking Garrett Master Hunter and it was just average for depth so I got rid of it. I tried a Whites 5900 but found it had problems working in the wet sand near the salt water. Had a Minelab Quattro but it was too heavy for long hunts and was very sensitive to too many tiny items on the beach such as hair pins and bits of foil and would drive you crazy with all the tones and numbers on the meter. With some trial and error playing with the settings, I might have made it work ok, but it was just too heavy anyway. It never did go any deeper than my Sovereign. Had a Goldquest SS, and it went nice and deep on gold and was hip mounted so it worked well, but no discriminate and box was not waterproof so I sold it too. Bought a used Pulsepower Aquastar11 PI which is in a waterproof Ikelite box and it goes deep, but no discriminate. Kept it, as it is the best underwater detector I ever used in non trash areas. No longer made, but there is a newer model made by PulsePower ( Goldscan, I think) which I believe does even better, costs about $2300, that's why I don't have one,  I'm retired now and my cash flow isn't what it used to be.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196772.html#msg196772

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 11:10:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

You are welcome. I also forgot a couple others I have used on beaches and in the water. I had a Detector Pro Headhunter PI which was a dream to use as it is so light. It of course has no discrimination. I was a nice beach/shallow water unit for non trashy beaches with better depth than many other machines. I had a couple Headhunter Waders also The latest one with the 11" coil went about an inch or 2 deeper than the 8" coil older model, but they just didn't have anywhere the depth of my Sovereigns with the same size coils.  I have never tried the newer Tesoro Sand Sharks, they are still PI's and using that printed circuit coil, then I wouldn't want to. It is too flat and was like a pancake in the water with too much resistance to moving it. When they get smart and make a spider coil for this machine, it might be worth another look. Good huntin, John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196812.html#msg196812

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:18:18 am by JCPinCt »
Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 12:23:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The new coil on the Sand Shark is very maneuverable in the water and seems to stay down and not float around like some others. One of the best features is the way the control box snaps on the rod, it has four spring buttons that you push in and the box comes off, just that easy so if you have it under the elbow and you want to put it up in front just bush the buttons place it where you want it and it snaps into place.

No matter what they say one detector won't do the job for all hunts. You can get closer with some units but as i see it you must have at least two machines for hunting both beach wet sand and inland areas.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196818.html#msg196818

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: