[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well Jim made all the good suggestions all good detectors. If it was me I would look hard at the Tesoro Tiger & Sand shark 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg225051.html#msg225051

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 09:56:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

I would second that Seldom,

The Tesoro's are great machines and look to be made very well, and perform equally well.

I'd love to see some info & see if there would be a way to up the 2.4 kHz frequency of my Fisher 1280X to something more suiteable that works better in the white surf trench wave line, as that does bounce the aquanaut signal around some, so more stability would be great?

Beepers, I wonder why Fisher doesn't change and boost the frequency up to something more favorable and stable acting in & around rough salt water surf that also will hit better on Gold, especially since many have mentioned this over the past few years...

Regards,
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg225197.html#msg225197

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:58:33 am by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 10:48:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just thought I would get this going again. For the year 2012, I ended up with 12 gold rings, about 15 silver rings, 1 1897 silver dollar ( on the beach along with several smaller denomination silver coins, after a bad storm ), 3 pistols, 1 pellet pistol, about 200 unfired bullets,  about 3/4 of a shoebox full of NG modern pennies that are too corroded to redeem, a mound of spendable coins, of which I had to run many through a tumbler to make usable again, about 30 foreign coins, a few dollars in silver coins, over 50 pounds of sinkers, about 20 pieces of junk jewelry, many odd pieces of copper and brass, 2 complete fishing rods, a couple fishing reels and some reel parts, 1 electro-mechanical sex device, some metal figurines, and some misc. unidentifiable items of metal. All from in the water.
I went back to using my waterproofed XS Sovereign instead of my GT Sovereign as I didn't want to take a chance of dropping it in the water. I started wearing wet suit pants, and wet suit socks inside some thick sneakers, so I could work the colder water, and detected up until the end of January. I am going to try to put a waterproof ID meter on my shaft so I can better ID stuff as there is much trash in the water. I mostly used the older 7" horseshoe coil as to seperate stuff. I have bought 3 different scoops on the net in the past 2 months, as I am trying to find the ideal scoop for quicker sifting without losing the smaller items, of which there are too many, such as .22 caliber bullets which can be a pain when they fall through the 1/2" holes in the scoops. I bought a Trex 9 1/2" wide x 11" long with 3/8" holes which may be the best one for most of the searching I been doing. Water is at 33 degrees now, so I have to wait for the spring thaw to try it out. Good huntin all. John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg251308.html#msg251308

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:53:48 am by JCPinCt »
Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
as there is too much trash on most the beaches

That's my problem also. I have been using a modded Surfmaster PI Pro and it is great on small gold except for all the trash on CT beaches. Probably ought go back to something with a bit of discimination for dry sand. I have a home brew discriminating detector I build in the early 80s and it has a good discriminator but the depth is only 5" on a dime. Sad  Several years ago tried the Xlt but really didn't like it on the beach it was like your 5900. My old 5DB was the same way near salt water.   I have a MXT in the detector line up. Haven't tried it in sand yet. The MxtPro stock loop weighs too much for my liking, so this summer will mess around with some different loops. I use a different PI Pro in Fla and less trash but still too much digging. Sad  In Fla I run the PI Pro in the water and have a bugger of a time with the flat loop. The wave action wants to rip your arm off!!   

The Sovereign seems to be working well for you.

On the scoops.... I have several. I tend to like the square ss wire type. I don't think the round holes clear sand fast enough.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg251330.html#msg251330

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2013, 04:41:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Mudflap, I have one of the type with the wire back section for sifting which I never use anymore, it just doesn't compare. I dig where a lot of rocks and shells are, and even iron junk sometimes. I need some thing that can move these items and a thick stainless scoop with a wide area like 9 1/2" wide x 12"long x 5" high, and a solid thick wood handle can do it. I have a Stealth 8 (8" x 12" x 5" with 1/2" holes), the Trex Large R95 scoop (with the 1st dimensions I mentioned, but has 3/8" holes in it), and a custom made scoop made in Florida ( 8" x 12" x 5" with 1/2" holes), a Pro/Stock Sport (8" x 10" x 4" with 1/4" holes). I would really like a Pro/Stock "Pro" scoop which is 9 1/2" x 11" x 5" with 1/4" holes, but I can't find one for sale. The guy that makes them has been sick and isn't making anymore. I can drain real fast with my 1/2" hole scoops but too many small items fall through, so the 1/4" holes would be best for me. Also the Pro/Stock and the Trex scoops use the thick stainless sheet which is punched out to almost a mesh and allow quick draining. I do have shells and other garbage inside the scoops, but that I just slide out fast. All these scoops have the handle in back area and have a 4"-5"plate on top near the rear, which when the scoop is tilted back a little, you can see what is inside them and just reach in and pick it out fast. But as I said, the small stuff falls out thru the 1/2" holes too fast when you tilt it back. I work pretty fast, as the tide never gives me more than 3 hours to hunt. Also, I would say that 75% of my hunting is done in the water in the last 4 years. I put a lot of cash into these scoops as they total more than $500, but if I can it get down to one or 2 that can really do the job, than it is worth it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg251346.html#msg251346

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 05:12:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
I have a Stealth 8 (8" x 12" x 5" with 1/2" holes)

I have a 6 1/2" Stealth. I was afraid of trying to handle the larger one loaded with sand. I talked to the guy a long time ago and he was in the process of trying to sell the product line. Never followed up as to what he did. I see the Web page is still up. Definitely a HD SS scoop. I like it. Also have a Scoops Unlimited Heavy Duty. I like it also. I have one of his medium duty scoops in FL for dry sand.

Please Register or Login

http://www.scoopsunlimited.com/heavy.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg251347.html#msg251347

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

I had a Stealth 6 1/2" and sold it to a friend. I needed the largest scoops possible because of time, and I rather dig one hole than 2, if possible.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg251384.html#msg251384

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5    Go Up
Jump to: