[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SVBerry
Copper Member

To hunt for treasure is to find self.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sea Hunter Mark II
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

We are discussing choices here, not debating facts. Any detector is only as good as the one using it. This is a sport / hobby has many levels of knowledge in it. I hunt PIs but I wish they were faster. But I look around and evaluate where I can use the area to my advantage. Research and knowledge are major players here and opinion is just a waste of breath.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg70549.html#msg70549

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 12:50:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by SVBerry
We are discussing choices here, not debating facts. Any detector is only as good as the one using it. This is a sport / hobby has many levels of knowledge in it. I hunt PIs but I wish they were faster. But I look around and evaluate where I can use the area to my advantage. Research and knowledge are major players here and opinion is just a waste of breath.

Unless you are the designer of the detector under discussion, all you HAVE is opinion. Practice, as you note, probably makes you the best that you can be with your machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg70641.html#msg70641

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 06:23:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by SVBerry

Ahhhhhhhh so you use PIs but wish they were faster, maybe your working too fast like some detectorists do at Rallies and Competitions. Now, if you were to tie your shoelaces together maybe you will work slower in future and reap more results.
One very little known trick when using a PI is not to use a full sweep but to scan over that width using a circular motion you cover the same amount of ground but do so more thoroughly and in doing so find more targets too.  The secrets on anyones success in the method in which people use their machines after they have learnt how to use them and applying better methods when searching.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg70674.html#msg70674

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 04:25:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Clearly this hobby has its apprentices, its journeymen, and its masters.   And two definite masters have spoken......Practice which in turn leads to knowing what you can and can not do with your machine and how to compensate for any "short comings" it might have is what leads to mastering the machine.   
    The machine is no better than the person using it, but the better the tool, the better the results when the tool is in the one that understands the tool, the medium, and the craft.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg70764.html#msg70764

Offline excaldiver
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab excal 1000
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats what I'm talkin about I want some of that me and my excal 1000 thx

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg73734.html#msg73734

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The old adage "Practice makes perfect" is often forgotten  Lips Sealed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg76315.html#msg76315

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Offline george1945
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Uganda

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

gonna try my Minelab during Bike Week

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg76317.html#msg76317

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all the good info. Going to try water detecting this summer.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg94528.html#msg94528

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline excaldiver
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab excal 1000
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Christian Nice Job reconnecting w/ Alan lots of good info.  Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg95243.html#msg95243

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 04:33:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Alan Hassell
Maybe theres more junk on your beaches because the people over there dont use rubbish bins that are provided on beaches?
Maybe you never bothered to remove the rubbish you dug up and left it for someone else to remove, I have experienced that myself.
Sure when you initially got into the hobby you had it all to yourself with little or no competition no use moaning that other people got in on the act.  Thats life, thats progress for you.
Maybe because of all the publicity thats gone into promoting the hobby has made the general public more aware to be more careful and remove their jewellry before entering the water.  Hence less losses and less finds to be made. Your not the only one who misses the good old days when the pickings were good.  You Rave on about your modified Sovereign like its the best machine in the world... Well I know for a fact that the Sovereign does not have the depth of a Pulse and you do too if you made test.  That doesnt bother me because the targets you miss because you cannot hear them will be found by someone using a Pulse.
Discriminating detectors are for old geriatrics too lazy to dig every target and a good pulse will get more finds than anything Minelab ever produced.  In this game its horses for courses you like your minelab I prefer Pulse If your so hot in the water why dont you put some of your finds up here so show how good your really are?  Put your money where your mouth is JCP Let the members see just how good you really are instead of blowing a load of Hot Air trying to make a big man of yourself.   no disrespect but words in here mean stuff all without proof.

Whoa, so it seems you like to attack people. Where did you get all the wise cracks that you assumed? I saved my trash when I dug it because I always expected to go back again, I also picked up more glass than I ever wanted to. I wrote one of the earliest articles on ring hunting in the water, (1975) which "told people to hunt the water", why would you say I was "moaning" about how other people got into the act? Just stating a fact, and that is that people just won't find like we did in the old days, and that includes you and your old stories and articles which lead newbies to believe the land is paved with riches just laying everywhere. As for my Sovereign, it works well and though I have tried many other machines, I still use it most often, so do many other people. I gather you have a dislike for Minelab by your statement. I have had several pulse detectors and not all are so good, some are, and my Aquastar is one of the best ones, and yes it does go deep. As for depth, ground conditions still can make a difference on depth, but when there is too much trash, and yes "Too Much Trash", that's when I go to a discriminator. I said many times, there is a place for the different type machines, that is why they make them. I currently have 6 detectors, I think I can say I have different machines for different jobs.  I quote you " Discriminating detectors are for old geriatrics too lazy to dig every target", what a crock of bull. They are made so people in trash areas don't have to dig too much trash, and waste all their time on digging trash. I don't have to brag about my finds, I am in a club here in the US and they see what I find. I have no need to present myself as a "big man", I state my ideas and facts and let them carry for themselves. It is you who are reprinting all your old articles like you are the father of metal detecting with a pulse or anything else. I guess no one can question you or doubt your words of wisdom, even if they may be wrong at times. I have nothing to prove and don't need to. All in all, I am really surprised at your attack on me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7152.msg96209.html#msg96209

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: