[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 06:48:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnlaw
Thanks Excaldiver...........I'm going with waders for now, the others are to pricey. If the finds come then I may upgrade. It'll be fun to see what's in the water again..
John in Virginia

Wader use by fishermen is the biggest cause of accidental drowning, John. Get yourself a pair of dive booties and the lower half of a 2 piece wet suit. You can always find them in thrift stores for a few dollars. The booties are very inexpensive even new.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg81632.html#msg81632

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline johnlawTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD.......Thanks for the tip on the booties and half wet suit, I'll look into that. I've used waders in the past without problems, one must be acutely aware of his/her surroundings when venturing out into the water. Heavy tides, waves and drop-offs can be a big surprise to the careless person. How are things in your part of the world?
John in Virginia

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg81655.html#msg81655

Johnlaw

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

carefull with waders,if yer waist deep and step into a hole,they fill up with water pretty quick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg81744.html#msg81744

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 03:27:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnlaw
Hello GD.......Thanks for the tip on the booties and half wet suit, I'll look into that. I've used waders in the past without problems, one must be acutely aware of his/her surroundings when venturing out into the water. Heavy tides, waves and drop-offs can be a big surprise to the careless person. How are things in your part of the world?
John in Virginia

John, we are just starting to cool down a bit here making life very pleasant. Easter weekend is arriving and that signals the end of the really hot, killer temperatures. The beaches will begin to slow down, recovery wise, as their use diminishes. The rains will start soon but that doesn't really stop me from going out unless we get some lighting along with it. I stay home then.

We'll be in North America (Mexico, USA and Canada) this year some time. Date unknown at present. Business concerns will dictate that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg81858.html#msg81858

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 04:46:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
John, we are just starting to cool down a bit here making life very pleasant. Easter weekend is arriving and that signals the end of the really hot, killer temperatures. The beaches will begin to slow down, recovery wise, as their use diminishes. The rains will start soon but that doesn't really stop me from going out unless we get some lighting along with it. I stay home then.

We'll be in North America (Mexico, USA and Canada) this year some time. Date unknown at present. Business concerns will dictate that.

GD........The rainy season is starting here as well. I've had enough of all the snow we had this year, it was one cold winter.

Mexico---------Be careful where you go into this particular country, it is very dangerous in some areas. You may have read about the drug wars and the thousands of people that have been killed there in the past couple of years.

Have a good trip and good hunting......John in Virginia

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg81985.html#msg81985

Johnlaw

Offline gerry
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab xs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 06:20:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi johnlaw, I use a drysuit for kayaking and my boat and find them great, if you get one a bit on the big side then it will be a lot easier to put on/off.
If the weather is cold like in the U.K. then it's a good idea to wear a huggy bear type fleecy suit underneath, the seals can be kept in good condition by sprinkling baby powder on them.

If you go for the waders then it is a good idea to wear a wader belt (ebay cheap) to stop the water getting inside if you fall, I seem to be the only person in my area who takes that precaution when out with the push net for shrimps. Better safe that sorry Wink

Happy hunting
Gerry

P.S. With a wet suit you will be soaking after taking it off with all the bother of getting dry and changing clothes etc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg81997.html#msg81997

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:27:03 am by gerry »
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 02:46:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I appreciate the info Gerry......good point about the wader belt....John in Virginia

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg82122.html#msg82122

Johnlaw

Offline gerry
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab xs
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi John, I forgot to mention if you do get a drysuit then the front zipped ones are a lot easier to get in/off and a flap at the lower front are much more convenient Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg82129.html#msg82129

Offline neo2199a
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not sure if you've made up your mind or a purchase by this time, but here's my two cents, from a diver's point of view.

Wetsuits are wonderful, and keep you fairly warm.  However, after long term exposure, you tend to start getting chilled.  For cold water usage, a wetsuit at least 7mm thick would be advised.

Dry suits are a divers dream clothing.  They are great at keeping you bone dry.  However, there are some draw backs.  As they are water tight, they are also air tight.  In order to keep your feet down, you typically need to let most of the air out of the suit.  The problem with this is that the less air, the more constricting and limiting the suit becomes.  The more air in the suit, the more uncomfortable it becomes around your neck.

Again, don't know if you've already made up your mind, but I thought I'd throw in my opinion on the matter.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg114676.html#msg114676

Offline krokdundee
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Netherlands

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi
Dry suit only, allway's try to find a second hand one, three laminated one with a good undersuit like 200 grams for the colder time off the year.
Used a 7 mm neopreen for a while, butt you need to carry a weight belt to hold you down in nek deep water.
Regards
Gerrit

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9475.msg118081.html#msg118081

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: