[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline pteroducktelTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Russian Federation
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I want to choose what to buy a detector to search for fresh water.
I can not determine which model to buy.
What to choose?
Garrett Infinium
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Fisher CZ-21
Minelab Excalibur
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field
What else can I consider?
Thank you for your answers!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg144388.html#msg144388

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

pteroducktel

No one can or will tell you which is the best water detector for you. First to many unknowns are you going to dive are just wade, what kink of mineralization is there in your area, are you searching for coins and rings are sunken steamboats?

I suggest that you use the search feature top right of page and search each  detector think we have discussed most of them here 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg144406.html#msg144406

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:23:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Why not see what they use on the prospecting forums ie , what are the most successful guys using and why, thats a good place to start, checkout the reviews on kellyco ETC

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg144410.html#msg144410

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to THunting.com.   

Is there an active metal detector club near where you plan to hunt?   If so check out what the experienced hunters in the club use---just make sure they do the same kind of hunting as you are planning.   Ask them what they like most and least about their machine and then which machine other machine they would want to use if their current favorite either didn't exist or they were looking for a replacement---and don't forget to ask them why.   You'll still have to make your own decision based on what's best for you individually (feel, budget, etc) but you'll have some decent data to help you make the choice.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg144412.html#msg144412

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Iffit was me I'd go the Fisher CZ21 Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg144450.html#msg144450

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Offline pteroducktelTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Russian Federation

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:43:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello!
I live in Russia, Moscow.
I want to search in our rivers and lakes for coins and rings. I do not know what level of mineralization in these soils.
Our forums are organized by detector sellers, the best detector is one that they have for sale.
Where I live, I have not seen anyone with an underwater detector.
Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg144581.html#msg144581

Offline Ruckus Rider
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Excal, Tesoro TigerShark, Silver Umax
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would go with the Excal, Ignores Iron. With all the PI machines you will be diggin alot of small iron. Remember when your using your sand scoop and lifting that up over and over again only to find a bobby pin or nail it gets tiring. Not to knock PI machines because they work very good also. But fresh water your gonna have alot of iron crap. Good Luck keep reading. Dave

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg145804.html#msg145804

Offline beachcomberdan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher CZs, Gold Bug 1&2, Whites Dual Field
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:07:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Fisher 1280x is alright in fresh water, but it becomes unstable in salt water. The CZ series works great on the beach, but you need a CZ20 or CZ21 to go in the water. They are user friendly and easy to learn but it takes some time to master them. Buy an older one on eBay if you can as it is a great way to get into a lightly used detector for less money. Go with a 10.5 inch coil if you are on the beach, but be warned that they go DEEP so you will have to do a lot of digging. I use a 5 inch coil for the parks so it pinpoints better.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg145848.html#msg145848

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Beachcomberdan great info when you say it goes deep  how deep? do they make them still?

john

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg145849.html#msg145849

Offline beachcomberdan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher CZs, Gold Bug 1&2, Whites Dual Field
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 11:46:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

The CZ20 has been discontinued, but you can sometimes find them on eBay for $300-$700. The CZ21 and 1280X are their current submersible detectors, but the 1280X is not stable in salt water (in my opinion and from my experience on the West Coast). I sold mine because I use my CZ20 and CZ21 in both fresh and salt water and prefer multipurpose machines that can do it all. There is better depth and target ID with the latter because of the dual frequency. I use the 10.5" coils on the beach and in the water and get very good depth, but they don't pinpoint as well as I would like (have to take the good with the bad). I have hit coins, rings, and pull tabs at 18"+ under very good conditions. You have to use the Auto-Tune or risk losing depth. The underwater units are heavy, so I use my CZ6a or CZ7 up on the beach so I don't get so tired. I have spent years constantly trying different machines under different conditions and seeing what worked for me. I strongly recommend doing the same thing as you have to find the right machine for you and for the conditions that you plan to be searching in. Metal detecting clubs are great for this. Maybe you can rent/borrow/try out different machines to see what works best for you. Before you buy anything, read, read, read. The larger manufacturers have manuals and field test reports that can be downloaded from their websites. There is a myriad of books on metal detecting, both on Amazon and eBay that can be had for cheap (when compared to buying a metal detector). And some stores will rent detectors so you can try before you buy.

Also, to engage in multiple activities, you will probably need multiple detectors. The old addage: "A jack of all trades, but a master of none." works for metal detecting also. I have used my Gold Bug 1 and Gold Bug 2 at the beach, but they cannot handle wet sand or salt water, so they are not as stable nor do they go as deep as my CZs. My CZs will work gold prospecting, but not as well as my Gold Bugs, although my Grandfather has a blast with the CZ6 that I loaned him. He has had success gold prospecting on the alkali flats in Nevada using the "Salt" mode with either a 5" or 8" coil (the CZ20 and 21 are always in "Salt" mode, so you lose some sensitivity). I am sure other people do better with Minlabs, but he has a lot of fun (which is the main point) and did not spend $5000. You just have to find out how serious you want to be and what you want to do. In any event, please do a lot of research before buying anything and do some introspection to find out what you want to get out of metal detecting.

I wish you the best of luck and I sincerely hope that you can find a machine that will bring you the joy and success that this wonderful sport can bring.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21310.msg146016.html#msg146016

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: