[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WoaichaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:21:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good day All!

I want to get into metal detecting, mostly beach stuff in and around Vancouver, BC, but also anywhere and everywhere. I'm wondering what detector will best suit my needs, taking into consideration: salt/fresh water beaches and the geology of BC?  I was looking at Teknetic's Delta 4000, but have since found out that it is not ideally suited for salt beaches. Any recommendations?

Cheers

PS... To anyone from the area... where is a good place to shop?  The only ones I have found so far are at Canadian Tire.  I am not a fan of online shopping as I prefer, personal customer service.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256559.html#msg256559

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:36:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know who told you that machine wasn't suitable but don't listen to them. There's nothing special about BC geology. Also, there are hundreds of machines that are all round, general purpose detectors that will do any number of jobs for you. Just pick the one you can best afford that has the right description of capabilities for you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256565.html#msg256565

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:47:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I phoned Teknetics, they told me that while the Delta 4000 would work in salt water beaches, it wasn't it's optimal use. On doing my research, I could not find any reviews or you tube videos showing or talking about the D. 4000 being used on a wet (or dry) beach.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256570.html#msg256570

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:18:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You're probably going to have to go up a bit in price to find what you are looking for.

Consider the following:

Tesoro Tiger Shark (or a Tesoro Sand Shark if you want PI technology)

Garrett AT Pro 

Minelab Excalibur

White's Dual Field

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256608.html#msg256608

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've started to realize this. I've been researching the AT Pro (I recently missed out on a good deal on a package on craigslist) so I know, and like it but I will also research the others that you mentioned.

Cheers

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256622.html#msg256622

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:27:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Woaicha
I phoned Teknetics, they told me that while the Delta 4000 would work in salt water beaches, it wasn't it's optimal use.

Salt water beaches are a trial for any detector. Don't let that put you off. The Delta 4000 has a lot going for it. It just doesn't have automatic ground balance. You can compensate for that by using the computer between your headphones. Besides, the worst area for instability is the area right next to the waterline. I wouldn't EVER take a non-submersible machine there. EVER.

Personal experience: I used my Garrett Groundhog next to the shoreline once and set it down to recover a target. A tiny wave came by and knocked it over, soaking it. It took me a week to clean and repair it. I was lucky to have the necessary skills to do that. It still works fine to this day. You can count on a mistake like that happening to you. Trust me on that.

The most productive areas on a beach, salt or otherwise, are about 8 feet away from the waterline and continuing back from there. Look for the path folks would take from the area where they sunbathe to the concessions (if any) or the parking lot. The truly best area is in the water itself. For that, I have a good recommendation for you.

See if you can rent or borrow a Tesoro Tiger Shark. I have one and it performs exceedingly well in salt water, fresh water and on dry land. It is the finest overall machine I have ever owned. It has two drawbacks. One is the lack of ability to change the coil. It is hard wired for keeping it waterproof. The other is the ability to pinpoint with the 10" coil. Oh, you can do it but it takes lots and lots of practice. As an experienced user now, I find it to be easy but when I first started using it, pinpointing was difficult. Now, it's a snap. Waterproof to 200 feet. Depth on a dime - 14" or so depending on soil condition. Gold rings, it eats them for breakfast. A lovely machine overall and very sturdy. Lifetime guarantee and free technical support for life.

If you buy it from KellyCo, it may qualify for the BOGO (Buy One, Get One) promotion they often have where you can get a second detector at a discount or free. Packaging deals for that machine are good, too.

Please Register or Login

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/tesoro/tesoro-tigershark10.php

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256640.html#msg256640

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great info GD! I will look into it all. Thx very much! Smiley  One question... if I order something from an American supplier, will there be a, duty, charge on it coming to Vancouver?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256713.html#msg256713

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 06:39:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Woaicha
One question... if I order something from an American supplier, will there be a, duty, charge on it coming to Vancouver?

Here in the US, the customs folks don't care much about anything smaller than a container full of goods or a vehicle. I don't know how Canadian customs is but I mailed a full box of 10,000 LEDs to a friend of mine in Burnaby (from Australia) and there was no customs due.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256714.html#msg256714

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 06:44:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok....I just recall one time, back in the '80s, I ordered a $400. camera lens from the US and it got smacked with a duty charge before I received it.  I know some border security people at the airport here... I'll ask them.
Thx again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46797.msg256715.html#msg256715

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: