[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mattsmulliganTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I bought a new AT Pro detector and its supposed to be delivered today.  I'm leaving to go camping through the weekend tomorrow.  Do any of the old pros or anyone else have any last minute advice for a newbie?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188209.html#msg188209

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mattsmulligan
I bought a new AT Pro detector and its supposed to be delivered today.  I'm leaving to go camping through the weekend tomorrow.  Do any of the old pros or anyone else have any last minute advice for a newbie?

Take the manual with you.   Read it at least once before you start swinging.   Then go very methodically.   After an hour or two of swinging and noting questions and observations, sit down and read the manual again and see if any of your questions or observations are addressed.   And then start swinging again correcting for the things you learned after your review.

Most of all, don't get frustrated if you just find pull-tabs and/or nails.   And don't get TOO excited if you hit the jackpot.   Seek the high middle ground emotionally.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188235.html#msg188235

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:48:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Read over the manual good, and try placing a few coins, a ring, a pull tab, bottle cap, on the ground and see how the machine responds. If you set your discrimination to eliminate pull tabs you will loose rings...Good luck with your new machine, and learn what its telling you thats the key....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188239.html#msg188239

Offline Robroy59
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer II, White's 6000/Di PRO SL, Radio Shack Discovery 2000
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My 3 cents, bring along a notepad and writing instrument.  I suffer from CRS (can't remember sh**),
so a notepad went a long way helping how things worked (display reported XX when I found YY, etc..)
I made a change to this and the result was good/bad.  I also concur with danwebster, bring along a few
samples, just remember, if you decide to put something valuable in the ground (like a ring), put a string
on it for easy retrieval.  I learned the hard way, I mentioned to my SO I needed a ring to put in the ground
as a sample, and was just lucky enough to duck the roundhouse that came back my way.  Idiot was one of
the nicer words she used (lucky me).  Best of Luck, don't forget extra batteries, and have fun!
HH   Robroy59

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188241.html#msg188241

2015 coins - 0 Dollars, 0 Half dollars, 24 Quarters, 18 Dimes, 5 Nickels, 30 Pennies -- Total $8.35
Silver - zilch  Gold - nada

Blix   Invaders  
Offline Fenix
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Spectra v3
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:04:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Don't rush, as first  excitement is gone from new machine try to learn the machine best you can, no matter how long it will take it will bring you fun. Sweep nice and slow and hold coil as low as you can. If you have  any magnet put this to your digging tools it will quickly eliminate and pick lots of target including  unwanted nails .Save you time searching  and digging as well. Go over ground in different  direction at one time on set spot .I usually go over one spot more than three times ,this will give you a signal if is anything in ground. If you are on good target ,pinpoint the target and spend some time to properly locate target, it will save you a digging a hole 10” deep only to find  the target is a inch on the side of the hole .Read the manual as Your bible before you go, and search the internet ,here on forum or you can search for your own machine set up, search the old posting and most of all keep the hunting spirit, don't be put of by sometimes not to find anything at all. Find new spot and have fun.
Fenix
 Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188290.html#msg188290

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very good advise, I hadn't thought of taking a note pad and pencil/pen. glad the round house missed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188300.html#msg188300

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:51:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Read the manual at least twice, with the detector beside you.  Check out everything on the detector that the manual talks about.  Play with the detector a little as you go through the manual.  Then when you get out in the field, carry the manual with you and do as BA suggested.  Also, the pad and pen are an excellent idea.  As the others have said, don't get frustrated or over-emotional.  It takes a little time to learn any new detector, but the more you use it, the better you will understand it!   Practice, practice, practice!  Good luck this weekend!   Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188307.html#msg188307

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:53:20 am by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:27:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

DON"T GET DISCURAGED! At first until you learn your detector dig everything!!! Read the manual and re-read the manual. Take it with you and study at night. ABOVE ALL  HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188539.html#msg188539

WB4RAV

Offline wbrown121
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's XLT, Fisher 1280X, Bounty Hunter Landstar
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:31:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not familiar with your metal detector and whether it has a target ID capability but in the past I've found it to be very educational to dig every target, regardless of the ID readout, so that I get a better feel for the metal detector.  I also agree with reading and re-reading the manual to learn the controls and indications.  Take plenty of fresh batteries, enjoy the thrill of the find, and have as much fun as you can!  Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188816.html#msg188816

Offline mattsmulliganTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:59:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Things didn't work out quite as I had hoped...  I finally had a chance to get the detector out and try it on the mountain.  I went to turn it on and nothing...  I went to check the batteries that the detector had come with and as I opened up that compartment all there was were 4 corroded AA batteries and a lot of wet ruined crap....  Not very exciting!   I hope that kellyco will take good care of me tomorrow.  All that money for a a ruined machine?  Nice....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26714.msg188942.html#msg188942

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: