[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 01:36:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sonya
This is one of the first threads I have read completely and I am appreciating all the advice given.  Very eager to give it a shot.  Right across the highway from my house there are train tracks and what used to be a house that was torn down about 8 years ago.   In the olden days, it was a station for the railway.  Might be of interest to see what is there though I expect there would be alot of items like nails, etc.  Supposed to rain all weekend here but will try to get out after the yard sales (or should I say garage sales for the ones that will still be on)

A bit of advice here regarding nails and such. Dig every one of them. They sound different, those ferrous targets, and they will mask a coin that is below it. So, dig it, get it out of the way and check again. The floorboards of the old station probably caused a rain of coins below. When it was dismantled, the nails probably got distributed in abundance. So will the coins.

Have fun digging, mate. Wish I could join you. Um, you did invite me. Right?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg36425.html#msg36425

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:18:48 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sonya
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

md 3080
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:53:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

You would be more than welcome if you lived around here which I am assuming you don't.  I figured I would learn what a nail sounded like and ignore it in the future.  Obviously there is alot for me to learn in this hobby.  Thanks for the advice.  It did rain all day Sunday so unfortunately still have not turned on the detector but if it stays clear tonight I might give it a try in the back yard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg36549.html#msg36549

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 12:17:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sonya
You would be more than welcome if you lived around here which I am assuming you don't.  I figured I would learn what a nail sounded like and ignore it in the future.  Obviously there is alot for me to learn in this hobby.  Thanks for the advice.  It did rain all day Sunday so unfortunately still have not turned on the detector but if it stays clear tonight I might give it a try in the back yard.

Regarding nails, they sound different than a good target and if they are directly above a gold ring, for example, and closer to your coil, the nail will mask your good target. When you dig the nail and check again, you'll find the ring. The advice to dig nails and other ferrous targets stands for all places where you might hunt but especially in historic sites or burned out houses. The nails are in the walls. All the good stuff is mixed with those nails after the wood burns and if you ignore them you could miss the deeper stuff.

Depending on your detector nails may sound like a double hit with a null between the hits or even be masked entirely by discrimination. If close to or on the surface, they can sound like a manhole cover. When relic hunting, turn down the discrimination and dig every target. I once worked a site in New England where there had been an old homestead. I was discriminating like a fool and found one particular area where the threshold level went silent. Strange. It was a good sized area so I turned off my discrimination. I dug a beautiful bronze Dutch maiden bell about 4 inches high which was around 10 inches in the ground. I still have the piece. Gorgeous. I have no idea why my Garrett thought it was ferrous but there you have it.

I live in Australia, a long way from your site. But I don't mind living vicariously. Keep us posted on your results and good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4269.msg36552.html#msg36552

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:21:15 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: