[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline overhillTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:20:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

I want to hunt for a suspected buried container on private property on which i have written permission. I suspect that it is buried {we believe) at least 10 inches or more. Two questions. Would we receive at the least a weak signal from my F2? If so , should i dig a few inches and swing again to see if the signal gets stonger?
Or is there another method that we should use?
Thanks a bunch.
Conner

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191409.html#msg191409

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:19:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

use the 10" coil but even with the 8" you should get a signal from that much metal in one spot, if its got a bunch of coins in with it. Odds are if its an older hide, its in something metal like a box, or jar with a metal lid. They didnt do much with plastics in the old days. Ive dug iron relics with the 8" at 20" or more deep and gaveup on suspected pop cans at 18" and more. The last cache  I dug was in a brass case at around 12" it was small had like 12 coins in it. Most of the small caches Ive found are either loose because it was in a bag that disintegrated, or in a coin  purse or a metal container. I dug a mason jar with silver coins, and silver certificates in it about 20 years ago and still get a little excited when I dig a lid and check under it now lol. So if its an old hide thats what I'd be looking for (mason jar lid)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191418.html#msg191418

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:19:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Avision, I've yet to find a cache but a late uncle of mine buried his cash (bills) in several mason jars in the back yard when he was off to prision. When he got back the lids had rusted through and the bills had "turned to mush".....gambol Funny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191426.html#msg191426

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Re: Cache hunt
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:19:30 AM »
Go Up Go Down Reply Quote (selected)
Avision, I've yet to find a cache but a late uncle of mine buried his cash (bills) in several mason jars in the back yard when he was off to prision. When he got back the lids had rusted through and the bills had "turned to mush".....gambol

He must have murdered someone and been gone a long time, or you got some mighty corrosive soil! Oops! maybe he used the modern lids? I dont know what there made of but I think steel alloy? I still find mason jars and lids intact around here all the time. Plus paper money in the ground can still last awhile. I saw on unsolved mysteries the case of that guy that parachuted in the 70's into the wilderness with a backpack of cash? cant remember the name, anyway someone found paper money that they could still serial number some of it and trace it to him. I cant remember how many years it had been there but a very long time. and it was found in a stream if I remember right.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191437.html#msg191437

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:46:52 am by avision4u2liveby »

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:42:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

That would be the D B Cooper hijacking case new info in link.

Please Register or Login

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-pursues-clues-1971-d-b-cooper-hijack-002039593.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191446.html#msg191446

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

thats it! and this is what I was refering to.................The only trace from his getaway was a crumbling package of $20 bills matching the ransom money's serial numbers, unearthed by a young boy from a sandbar along the Columbia River in 1980. <<<<< the bills were out there 9 years or so.

Posted on: August 17, 2011, 01:50:14 PM
and here's a tip on finding bills....... I found a sizable amount of bills along a chain link fence that separated a major highway from a convention center. The only thing I can figure (since the wind came that way most of the time) is all those people and all those bills in one spot on severely windy and stormy days blew it to the only place it could go. The trash was banked up that fence in spots 4' high, but after seeing the first couple I was more than willing to dig through it! If you have severe wind and severe winters like we do, look for places like that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191450.html#msg191450

Offline overhillTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You suggest using a 10 inch coil. i see where some larger coils come in double D and other configurations. Which coil would you suggest
Thanks again.
Conner

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191456.html#msg191456

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I dont have the DD, but from what I'm told it doesnt go any deeper, just covers more ground. an eliptical coil like the 4", 8", 10" puts out a cone shaped magnetic field. so at the max depth of those coils, your at the very center of the coil and thats all you can cover at that depth, so go slow. A DD coil puts out an elongated magnetic field in a straight line pointing away from you as you seaarch. I dont know how long it is lets say its 6" long, your covering a 6" swipe at its full depth on every sweep of the coil. By going slow I mean that the 10" (cone shaped pattern field) is olnly covering about 1" at max depth but they are much easier to use and pinpointing and your target ID are correct. With the DD coil your picking up alot more "info" from the ground because of the wider search area. But, hopefuly someone with experience using the DD will chime in here, because I havent used any DD coils. I'm buying one soon but only to use for covering a field more quickly, Ill switch to the old elipticals for everything else because of the type of searching I primarily do. Make sure when yyou ask someone.... they are familiar with THAT DD coil and detector, because I read up on everything I could find recently and THAT DD coil is no deeper that the 10" and may be even less deep (from what I was told by others that have both). Not sure but in general a DD coil will go deeper that its eliptical brothers, not so with that one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191472.html#msg191472

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:36:01 pm by avision4u2liveby »

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

About DD coils, I have a 11 inch one on my F75 and everything avision said about the DD is right. A little less depth, scans a swath rather than a circle, doesnt' pinpoint well, gives more information about the target. All that being said, the DD works well for general detecting especially with shallow targets. One thing about the DD. It is better for sizing targets because of its narrower pattern.  Gambol

About Uncle Ted, He didn't pay his income tax and went away for 3 years but got out on good behavior after a year. It took a year for the lids to rust through. Some of the bills were still usable but had earth worm holes in them and he took them to the local banker and had him sort through them. Needless to say the story was all over town after that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191490.html#msg191490

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

About Uncle Ted, He didn't pay his income tax and went away for 3 years but got out on good behavior after a year. It took a year for the lids to rust through. Some of the bills were still usable but had earth worm holes in them and he took them to the local banker and had him sort through them. Needless to say the story was all over town after that.

Thats good he got out so soon. Yep musta been the new lids, probably a steel allow, Ive seen them rust sitting in a basement on a shelf in now time. Pretty sad when your canned whatever lasts longer than your lids! lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27065.msg191499.html#msg191499

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: