[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LaryTopic starter
Copper Member

Wishful Thinking
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 12:26:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Farmdigger;
I was looking at your cache that you found this morning.  (I was up early with insomnia!) I found myself wondering if it really was teh grandmathers' rainy day cache.  I went to several places on line to see what that kind of money would have bought around the turn of the century and it was pretty interesting.  If something happened, that money could have meant the difference in hard times and eating until the next job was found or whatever.  I guessed roughly it could have fed them for several weeks!  Made me wonder if people saw the stockmarket crash coming and caches became more commonplace before the crash.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg35830.html#msg35830

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:49:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lary,

Insert Quote
"Farmdigger;
I was looking at your cache that you found this morning.  (I was up early with insomnia!) I found myself wondering if it really was teh grandmathers' rainy day cache.  I went to several places on line to see what that kind of money would have bought around the turn of the century and it was pretty interesting.  If something happened, that money could have meant the difference in hard times and eating until the next job was found or whatever.  I guessed roughly it could have fed them for several weeks!  Made me wonder if people saw the stockmarket crash coming and caches became more commonplace before the crash."

YOu must have been mistaken someone elses post for mine. I havn't found any caches yet Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg36016.html#msg36016

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 05:01:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi
        My experience when I used to do a bit of rock hunting ,I would simply go into the farm making sure I closed all the gates and made sure I didnt run over the dog or stir up the cattle if there were any .  Country people are a little suspicious of strangers just lobbing on their front door . but be polite introduce yourself and explain to him that what your interest is in his property , ( It is a good idea to talk  to somebody in town maybe a shop owner or maybe produce agent  try to find out the name of the farmer your visiting and a brief history of his farm or the general area )  then when you meet the farmer you already know him by name . Hollow Mr Somebody ! I heard that your farm is  where the old saw mill used to be back 150 years ago and they used to employ ::::   ect,ect 
       The farmer will know that you have done a bit of research of the area and he will be only to proud to show you around . 
       There are other times ive been to farms that would charge a small fee to fossick around for the day , stress that you do not carry or use  firearmes on his property , this has always caused a bit of anger because some hoons shoot up his livestock or water tanks . Angry
                                                    Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg36028.html#msg36028

Offline WreckHunter8
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 06:29:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have read only the first post. All was quiet for about five hours, no sirens etc, no phones, then when I opened this post titled Getting Permission all hell broke loose. Do not assume therefore that you have any permission to metal detect at properties, unless as is the case with photography, there is something going on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg36111.html#msg36111

Offline Larry
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 04:18:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Lary.  My name's Larry too.  I have been researching the Thomas Jefferson Beale treasure story for a very long time.  I rode to the area and found "Do not Trespass" signs everywhere.  But I found many signs along the road that gave a person's name and phone number concerning the property.  I called, made an appointment to meet him.  These mountain people are very smart and apprehensive about "flat landers" like me. I thought the best approach was to be truthful and explain what I wanted to do.  He accepted that. I also gave him a copy of my driver's license and my telephone number.  From that time on I just wrote him a note when I wanted to go on the property.  Your situation is a little different.  You could research the land records at the public registry in the county or city where the property is located to see who has title to the property.  Usually you can get the street address of the owner.  This is public record and you may be able to search on the internet; however most records would be sorted by the property number.  The public registry would have tax maps you could look at to pin point the property and get the property tax number assigned to that property as well as the owner's name and address. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg37025.html#msg37025

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 08:53:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've had permission from people, living in old houses, to detect their yards - then have owners show up and shoo me off. Renters  Smiley Always the renters had approached me as I'd be detecting the median - right of way - in front of their house and I'd ask to do their yard. I sometimes detect between sidewalk and street in the old sections of town. Police said that owners can't really stop me, but, if they fuss, to be a good sport and go on. I'm not sure median is fair game everywhere, but I try to get my detecting fix on public property - it's easy & carefree. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg37069.html#msg37069

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:18:21 am by Sue »
Offline Larry
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 10:18:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sue, renters or tenants have the right of use and quiet enjoyment of their leasehold and they do have the right and authority to allow you to come on the property and look around.  I appreciate the thoughts of Ironman and GoldDigger1950 on this subject.  You have to be respectful when looking around on people's property, even when you have written permission to be there.  My only major experience has been in roaming the mountainside in the Montvale, Va area in my research on the Beale treasure story.  You wouldn't believe the stories I heard about disrespect to owner's property - trashed, unfilled holes and even digging in cemeteries.  It was no wonder that the old timers there were suspicious and went around with pistols strapped to their waists.  I could feel eyes on me everywhere I went.  Metal detecting is a great hobby, and we all need to act properly and respectfully when dealing with the property of others.  One bad act taints all of us.  Larry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg37074.html#msg37074

Offline Quesea
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 05:39:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great tips. I hadn't thought about the bucket idea.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg41067.html#msg41067

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 05:44:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Quesea
Great tips. I hadn't thought about the bucket idea.

Just remember the golden rule and never, ever kick the bucket.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg41069.html#msg41069

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Quesea
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 05:44:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seems like Metal detecting is a community act....not something someone does by him or her self as it would first appear.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg41070.html#msg41070

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: