[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 05:50:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Quesea
Seems like Metal detecting is a community act....not something someone does by him or her self as it would first appear.

It is both. Most of us will clean up the area where we hunt just because we are there and civic minded. I carry a large bag that is made like a sling which carries about the same as two shopping bags worth of trash. Every bit I come across goes in there and when folks ask me what I have found, I show them that bag of junk metal and maybe a few coins after I get to know them a little. It lets them know that not all of us leave empty canyons and mounds of dirt behind us.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg41074.html#msg41074

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 11:52:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Larry
Hi, Lary.  My name's Larry too.  I have been researching the Thomas Jefferson Beale treasure story for a very long time.  I rode to the area and found "Do not Trespass" signs everywhere.  But I found many signs along the road that gave a person's name and phone number concerning the property.  I called, made an appointment to meet him.  These mountain people are very smart and apprehensive about "flat landers" like me. I thought the best approach was to be truthful and explain what I wanted to do.  He accepted that. I also gave him a copy of my driver's license and my telephone number.  From that time on I just wrote him a note when I wanted to go on the property.  Your situation is a little different.  You could research the land records at the public registry in the county or city where the property is located to see who has title to the property.  Usually you can get the street address of the owner.  This is public record and you may be able to search on the internet; however most records would be sorted by the property number.  The public registry would have tax maps you could look at to pin point the property and get the property tax number assigned to that property as well as the owner's name and address. 

I'm a newbie.....it's always been the vacant lots, without the shells of buildings, that have attracted me.  But I've always avoided hunting them because I didn't have any idea where to get permission to hunt and didn't want to face trespass issues.   This sounds like a good first set of steps for me.   Do any of you veterans have any other suggestions on how we should go about getting permission to hunt vacant lots---especially in areas where there are lots of vacant lots and few neighbors who seem to know anything except "you can't do that there"?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg46417.html#msg46417

Offline caldigger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

white's MXT Goldmaster gb-4 ID-Pro
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 06:29:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

some good inof  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg47475.html#msg47475

Offline tfgrubbs
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 08:33:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've been researching the site of schools in 1917. Here's my problem, the sites are located about 75 miles from my house. I have the names and addresses of the property owners. However, of the 7 sites 5 of the owners don't live on the property. liveSome of them live even further away. I was thinking about writing a letter to introduce myself and ask for permission. What are your thoughts?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg71280.html#msg71280

Offline Gator
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 - Bounty Hunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:46:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As a newbie, I just got a lot of great information reading all the posts.  I appreciate each of you taking the time to put your thoughts on this thread.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg125617.html#msg125617

Offline kgtiger
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While I am new to metal detecting, I can say the one thing that ticks of a cocks (farmers) more than enything is leaving Gates open.

Thanks for all the info I do appreciate it and have learnt a lot as well.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg127051.html#msg127051

Offline TerryRB
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 02:29:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great tips here - I can see that this is going to be a very useful website.  I'm learning a lot just reading the various boards.
Thanks!
Terry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg127644.html#msg127644

Offline charlotte49er
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Copper Member

Gold Rush Guys
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

500.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Wader, Falcon MD20, Nugget Snoop, Garrett Coin Hunter w/Groundhog Coil, Ground EFX MX 200 digital GPS metal detector, Bounty Hunter Discriminator 840
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you have ever watched the TV show "American Pickers" on "The History Channel".

The two guys have a very good into.  They will knock on door, introduce themselves  and hand a sheet to the owner of what they are mainly interested in and why they stopped by.  Sometimes they get the door slammed in their face, but most of the time people are happy to show them around of let them just look. 

I always wondered if that would work for metal detecting? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg127689.html#msg127689

Gold Rush Guys - Gold Prospecting Supplies and Metal Detectors

Please Register or Login

{alt}

Carolina Dealers for XP DEUS, DetectorPro Metal Detectors and Headphones and Gold Prospecting Supplies

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 04:31:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Believe it or not, it works for just about everything......and with similar results, lot's of people (more than they show on tv) will either slam the door on your face or more likely politely tell you "no", but a surprising number of people will tell you yes.   (I'd recommend NOT handing them a piece of paper, though, unless it's your business card so they can change their mind if they say no).   Better just to be up front and have a short "spiel" .....trouble is most of the time most of us (myself included) have trouble working up the moxie to cold call a complete stranger.    If you can stand all the "no's" you might find a "yes" that really pays off.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg127693.html#msg127693

Offline charlotte49er
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Copper Member

Gold Rush Guys
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

500.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Wader, Falcon MD20, Nugget Snoop, Garrett Coin Hunter w/Groundhog Coil, Ground EFX MX 200 digital GPS metal detector, Bounty Hunter Discriminator 840
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I knew had a problem with "cold calling.  I was a real estate agent for 5 years and I would ask everyone I met, "Hi, My name is ________ and I'm with _____.  Do you know anyone who is looking to buy or sell a home in the next 30 days?" 

I'd do this standing in line at the grocery, just about anywhere.    (I used also slip my business card into all the real estate magazines at the grocery.) I got a lot of "no",  a few angry looks, but every once in a great while, I'd get a "yes"!  Before that I was in collectible sales.  I did a lot of cold calling on hobby shops. 

I'll share a Tteasure story with you all.  I was showing a large piece of property to a client who wanted to put up "cookie cutter" homes.  (Same basic floor plan, just change the color of the siding.)  This was just at the start of the Forclosure mess, 2004ish.  There was a nice piece of land with an old house and shed that was ready to fall down on it the land.    The former owner lived out of state, according to the tax records. The bank had foreclosed and I don't think they had even assigned a real estate agent to list it yet.  The house wasn't in much better shape than the shed, but for what he wanted it for, he would have torn it down anyway. 

He wanted to go walk the property.  I was in dress clothes and really didn't feel like going through knee high brush, so I told him to go ahead.  While I was waiting, I decided to look in the shed.  (It was so bad, that the door fell off in my hand!)  Inside the shed was loaded with dirty old children toys.  But also there were at least 2 dozen nice peices of Milk Glass.  There were vases, mugs & candy dishes.  Also an old pull rope push mower (The kind you wrapped the rope around and pulled, then the rope came off in your hand.)  And stacks of old oil cans.  (If I had watched American Pickers, I would have gathered up all the old oil cans!  Proabably the old mower would have been worth something.)  Instead, I took two of the milk glass vases.  My reasoning was the bank owned the property, and chances are no one from the bank had even been out there.  If they had, no one went into the shed.  Just this Summer, I decided to put the vases on ebay.  Serves me right, as I just about gave them away!  LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5658.msg127730.html#msg127730

Gold Rush Guys - Gold Prospecting Supplies and Metal Detectors

Please Register or Login

{alt}

Carolina Dealers for XP DEUS, DetectorPro Metal Detectors and Headphones and Gold Prospecting Supplies

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: