[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline fletcherTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

141.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:48:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Stormrider1951 thank you for the input as you have provide alot of info(really good info since it is based on experience) and I will expand my looking at minelab as well. A newer light weight machine will definitely be in my near future. And I'll really check out the discrimination accuracy which would be a benefit when time is limited. Get the good stuff first and recheck later Detecting.
Nickel_n no worries about hijacking, you asked good questions.
GoldDigger1950 thanks for the dumbell idea. I will be using the old garrett for a while until I save up more funds (or sooner if the wife says ok Wink)
Hope to get out this weekend.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257249.html#msg257249

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:07:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Fletcher

Welcome from South Africa I'm not going to give you an answer to your question as you already got them all, so I'm just going to wish you many finds on your first outing and all that may follow.

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257294.html#msg257294

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, everyone.  Here's some additional info on the DFX vs E-trac.  I have a goodly number of hours on both.  These are just my experience and opinions and we all know opinion is the lowest form of knowledge.  Let me point out that while both machines have tons of adjustments that can be made I've been happy with the factory pre-sets.  They work fine for me in the area I usually hunt.

I actually purchased an E-trac first and used it for about 10 hours before I got so frustrated that I sold it and bought the DFX.  Why?  Because I had trouble wrapping my fossilized brain around "the numbers" and believing that they were telling the truth.  I was used to the old Garrett with its needle scale that would point to what it thought was down there.  Match the needle with a solid repeatable tone and dig.  Of course, it was quite often wrong.  The DFX doesn't have a needle but it does give a number and an icon showing what it thinks is down there.  There's also a bar graph at the bottom of the screen.  Match a solid repeatable signal and a number that looks good to an icon for something worth digging and add a nice solid vertical bar on the graph and it's time to dig.  White's even prints the numbers on the control box.  It's a great machine and I'd probably still be using it if my wife hadn't fallen in love with it and left me using the Garrett Ace 250 that had been hers.  Not knocking the Ace 250 but it sure isn't a DFX.

So there I was about to buy another detector.  I started researching different makes and models.  Lots of people had recommendations, usually for whichever machine they owned.  A few told me I should have stayed with the Garrett Grand Master Hunter because it was a match to or better than anything on the market today.  Based on my newly acquired experience with the DFX vs literally years on the GMH, this just isn't so unless someone is of the "if it beeps dig it" mindset.  I spent about a week doing online research but my mind kept going back the the E-trac.  I thought I knew what was missing with it, no icon.  It's comforting to have that symbol telling me what might be down there.  But icons are sometimes misleading, too.  The E-trac gives something that no other detector (except for the CTX) to my knowledge offers, a numerical reading of the ferrous content of the target.  So instead of one number you get two but no icon.  It's called a Fe(rrous) - Co(nductive) readout.  Most detectors only look at conductivity.  I decided the E-trac deserved a second chance.  

So let's say you want to hit a place and skim off only the easy targets.  It really is easy.  Dig only those targets that give a good solid repeatable tone from both directions and start with a 12.  As I mentioned in my first post you will quickly learn what second numbers to look for.  12-44s, for instance, are copper pennies.  Dimes will come in right around there as well.  Clad Quarters will come in around 12-48.  Silver coins will vary a little from clad but will normally have that Fe of 12.  So do most gold and sterling silver rings.  If the numbers are dancing all over the place and/or the tones are scratchy, move on.  But what if you want to be sure you got all the good stuff in an area?  Then dig those targets that are "iffy".  How about going relic hunting?  No problem.  Set the machine to "Relic" and knock yourself out.

Okay, let me finish up with some general observations:

Neither the DFX or the E-trac are lightweights.  Both are well balanced though and will probably feel lighter than the machine you are now using.

I hate to make this next statement because it is mostly subjective but the edge in depth of detection seems to favor the E-trac.  That's around here in the highly mineralized soil we have.  I can say this, given that I hunt mostly churchyards (with permission from the minister) and parks/schoolyards, either machine will locate targets deeper than I dare dig because the hole would be too big.

Neither machine is cheap to buy although a DFX on the used market usually seems to cost a little less.  The release of the Minelab CTX 3030 has caused the price of used E-tracs to fall though.  I picked my E-trac up for $1,100 and that included a Sunray inline probe and shipping.

The coil sweep speed of the DFX will be what you are used to with your current machine.  The E-trac requires a much slower sweep to be effective.  That was another thing that resulted in my selling the first E-trac.  I had a speed and rhythm down that was too fast.  Now I'm used to making slower sweeps and I have to admit that my arm doesn't get tired as quickly.

So bottom line, which is best?  Flip a coin, in my opinion.  The  learning curve on the E-trac seems to me to be a little steeper.  It really is a different kind of critter but now that I've learned to trust it and its ways I look forward to using it for however many years I have left.  Could I go back to the DFX?  You bet.

Hope this helps,
Storm    

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257295.html#msg257295

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great info Stormrider1951

Thanks for posting

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257300.html#msg257300

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
5%
Male
Australia

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanking you both
i will keep an eye for an E-Track

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257314.html#msg257314

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline fletcherTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

141.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:49:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks stormrider for the additional input. I'm going to get restarted with my old machine and start looking into the new ones. I'll probably have some fun just trying to afford all the 9Volt batteries I'll need Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46881.msg257352.html#msg257352

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: