[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline huck7248Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:03:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, I'm new to Thunting from CT and since open space is scarce around here, I had a question about approaching property owners. Is offering a split of what you find with the property owner common? If so, what is normally the percentage, 50-50? Thanks.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg147924.html#msg147924

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Huck. CT here also. They have more places off limits anymore. I usually go for 25%. Usually you can get a feel how the conversation is going and maybe get permission without any deals. I've sometimes been able to just tell the owner I will pick up all nails and trash and clean up as I go along and that makes them happy. Good hunting///

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg147927.html#msg147927

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just be Nice and a Human.   See where it goes.   Grovel if you have too.   LOL!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg147935.html#msg147935

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some of the advice I have heard and tried is as follows.
1) don't get a reputation of hunting without permission. Once a farmer finds holes in his property he is on the lookout for trespassers. 
2) don't walk up to the house with the metal detector in hand.
2) Know the property owner's name. Research this in the tax assessor files. Or if you are on a road trip ask the neighbors. Corporate owners forget about. Its not worth it.
3) be direct as possible and keep it simple. I identify myself as a "treasure hunter" this usually gets a smile out of them. "Hi I'm Chuck Smith and I'm a treasure hunter. I would like to have permission to go over (xxxxx) with a metal detector.
4) Be very specific about what you want to do and where. "I would like to go over the lot at (xxxx) and look for relics."
My success rate is better than 50% and the ones that refuse often have had a bad experience with detectorist or trespassers.

5) Don't mention digging but if it comes up tell them you dig no deeper than a possum and cover up all holes. (possums dig 10 inches). I carry a rake with me to make diggings less visible.
6) I never mention the split unless I am hunting in a known profitable location. Then I tell them I will give them every other coin found. The problem with splits is no two items are worth the same so there is no way to split evenly. I sometimes say that any single item over $1000 is property of the land owner. I have never found anything over $1000 but it is another inducement for the property owner.
7) Be prepared to put any splits in writing if the owner wants it. I have a pre printed form.
Cool Be prepared to give a liability release as well. If the owner objects because of insurance, giving him a signed release exempting him from any liability is a last ditch effort.
9) After you are finished go back to the owner and show him what you found and ask if he knows of any old house sites, recreation places, swimming holes etc that may be profitable. A good thing is to have a map showing his and his neighbors properties when you do this.

When I first started doing this I dreaded going up to property owners and asking for permission. Now that I have worked out my technique, asking for permission is one of the best parts of it. You get to meet all sorts of interesting land owners and talk with them about the history of the region. It is suprising how much some of them know about the history and how much they like to talk about it. I had one refuse to let me on his land because he said there was nothing there but he made arrangements to hunt an old house site on a neighbor's property There I found two silver coins and a gold ring.  Good luck. Gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg147966.html#msg147966

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Huck listen to Gambol he is right on the money , them are some great tips he pointed out to U.

I never mention a split with land owners , it's not as common here in the states as it is in england and europe where they have the possibilitie of finding huge hoards of gold coins worth millions of dollars,
as far as i know it has never happend here and if it does its so rare its not worth mentioning.

however i do show the land owners what i find to include all of the trash items, so they know i am not leaving  anything behind. then if there is something in the finds they really want , thats when it's time
to negotiate your return trip etc...

good luck and happy hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg147969.html#msg147969

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:46:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The following is from my own experience.

I usually start off by offering 20% of any finds, and let the landowner haggle up to a max of 50%. If they're growing crops which I'm familiar with (and if the landowner appears a bit reluctant), I offer as a "deal sweetener" a free general "eyeball" evaluation of plant health including male/female inflorescence ratio, fertilizer recommendations, tips on handling pest and disease and suggestions on soil and water conservation terracing if needed. This usually gets me permission very easily. Smiley I also promise that no crops will be dug up without letting him see the exact dig spot first and obtaining his permission. Signals encountered on unplanted areas/ crop inter-rows will be dug without hesitation, and of course all holes will be filled up.

The vast majority of landowners are normal decent people who will keep their word. However one must be prepared to encounter the rare nasty chap who will renege on the deal once a target has been found. An agreement is only as good as how far one is willing/able to go in order to enforce it. I would rather just leave in peace than to be embroiled in a legal tussle, unless the found target is of substantial value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg147997.html#msg147997

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:35:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds good to me guys, allbases coverd

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg148012.html#msg148012

Offline huck7248Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks everybody for the great advice. I will put it into practice. Huck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg148025.html#msg148025

Offline Mad Mike
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Explorer 2 / Ace 250
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is great information, looking forward to getting permission to find those little treasures!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg182657.html#msg182657

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mad Mike, I hope you are finding those treasures. Yesterday I was on my way to one of my favorite sites and I passed a guy who was selling watermellons in front of his house. I stopped and looked at his mellons and then asked if he would let me metal detect on his property if I bought a mellon. He said yes and I got several hours hunting on a lot across which a wagon road ran in the 1800s. I talked with the man who had lived there since 1946. 3rd generation. He knew everything about the area. I didn't find anything on his property but He gave me the names of his neighbors who might let me detect. It was a great mellon too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21575.msg184259.html#msg184259

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: