[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline apatton94Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:43:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read my message.  As I don't know anyone personally who metal detects, I need an honest opinion(s) on what detector to buy.  I'm completely new to the hobby, and I've done some research.  I've narrowed down my choices of machines to 3:

Garrett ACE 150
Tesoro DeLeon
Fisher F2

What is your opinion? 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224195.html#msg224195

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:09:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from New Mexico.

Detectors are like Cars!  LOL

What do you expect to do with it?

Are You Going to drive it through the water?

Stay on the Roads and Crews?

Just Messing with Ya!

Coins?

Gold?

Jewelry?

All the Above?

Relics?

Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224198.html#msg224198

Offline mrs.oroblanco
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:39:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

I agree - detectors are like cars - to a point. It depends on what you want to be able to do with it - you don't buy a mini-van to go 4 wheeling up the mountain. (well, most people don't).  Grin

If you are going to water detect - (especially beach/salt water) most regular detectors freak out.  On the beaches away from the water, fine, but, in the water, not so much.  I have had a Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Stinger, Gold Bug, Whites (2 different Whites) and a Minelab.  The Minelab went down the road after a month.  I just don't have the time to set everything up every time I detect, and I'm spoiled by the Tesoro - as it is a "turn on and go" machine, and can go from beach to mines. (still, not in water).

If you are a beginner, I will start out by saying don't buy something with all the bells and whistles - A) they just aren't worth it - as the bells and whistles aren't really accurate most of the time, and for a newbie, it can be VERY discouraging.  Also - I don't suggest a Radio Shack special, either.  You want something that will have a good range (as in what it can find), good range, as in depth and width, can discriminate fairly well,  - and doesn't break the bank.  Of course, it also matters what breaks your bank.  IMO (and it IS just my opinion), something easy to use, not too expensive (no identifying everything - they are wrong many times), not too cheap - and enjoy.

Beth (Mrs.O)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224208.html#msg224208

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:23:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I agree with most of what you said ,But the radio shack is good cheap starter machine it got me started in the hobby and I had alot of fun with it. found alot change with it, and a gold ring with five diamonds. Best 50 bucks I ever spent too find 450 dollar ring  and heaping pile of clad Wink 
When I started I didnt want to buy a machine that I did not understand  ie 1000 dollar unit . 
I found I enjoyed the hobby and bought a BH3300 had some more good finds switched again to an ace 250 , It was ok . now I swing a Cibola an just recently purchased a cz20  an now I am looking forward to water hunting 

hh

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224227.html#msg224227

Offline bryanwoodc
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

515.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:39:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

when i started i used a ace 250 and it started putting me off detecting its confusing,i switched to a xp adx 150 simple switch on and go and i love it. just my opinion.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224228.html#msg224228

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:27:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting-----you are comparing 2 entry level machines (the ace 150 and the fisher F2) with a more advanced machine (the DeLeon). 
  I agree with the car analogy (especially since it is one you'll find me using a lot in older posts).   It depends upon what you want to do with the machine, how much you have to spend, what bells and whistles attract you, and just plain personal preference and personal comfort.
  Personally if it were up to me, I'd go with the DeLeon given those choices.   It's hard to beat the lifetime warranty that comes with a new Tesoro (assuming you are buying it new).  They are also very light so you can swing'em for a long time.    And I don't think you would have a hard time learning the Tesoro.
  If you want to compare apples to apples to apples try comparing the Ace 250 or 350 to the Fisher F4 (a machine I have personal experience on) to the Tesoro Silver microMax.   Or if you want to stay at the upper end of the price (ie the DeLeon) compare the Tesoro DeLeon or Vaquero with the Fisher F5 or the Garrett AT Pro.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224258.html#msg224258

Offline apatton94Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Again, thanks for reading my post and offering some advice.  The only reason I chucked the DeLeon in there is because I have the opportunity to get one relatively cheap ($300).  The F2 retails at around $200 but it usually comes with a pin-pointer.  The Ace 150, well, I don't see the point of getting a 250 or a 350, because from what I tell, they are very similar.  Point is, I would be willing to spend an extra $100 on higher quality. 

I live in Minnesota, so I was mostly counting on doing coin-hunting, but I would be open to doing some jewelry hunting as well.  I wasn't going to be doing any underwater stuff, and I wasn't particularly going to be looking for gold.  I have a few ghost towns picked out that I want to hunt, as well as many trails, parks and farmland. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224260.html#msg224260

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:30:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you can get a DeLeon for $300, go for it.   If not, I'd suggest looking for either an Ace 250 or a Fisher F4.  You can get started with the 150 or with the F2, but you'll probably find stepping up that one step makes a big difference in both performance and your satisfaction.

Whichever you go with, be sure you read the directions a couple of times before you start swinging the detector.....then go out and swing for a while and re-read the directions.  You'll find things starting to make a bit more sense that way.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224264.html#msg224264

Offline mrs.oroblanco
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:58:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

I guess I should explain my "Radio Shack" comment - I had one years ago - and, it just wasn't worth the time it took to turn it on. If you had a 10 pound gold bar, you might find it with that machine, but..........  that said, I'm going to assume that they have gotten better since the 70's.  Smiley

And, on that note - the MOST important part of a metal detector is the person operating it.  Whatever you buy - practice, practice, and practice some more.  "Seed" some ground around your house and "find" what you seeded.  Make sure you use several different items - from pennies, to a ring, a dime, a quarter and a nickel. (note here - mark where you seeded them - I almost lost a ring when I first started).  And, listen, listen, listen.  Every machine - even if they are the same brands, act differently. My husband's Tesoro sounds different than mine on the exact same hits.

You also have to learn your "pinpoint" spot, any "halos" that your machine gives off - all that sort of nit picky stuff.  The key is to know whatever machine you use. My White's will sound off right AFTER I go over something - every time - not ON it, but right after it. (one of my White's - the other doesn't)  Neither one is ever correct on the meters, so I always listen.  Every time you use your machine, throw down a quarter and a dime, and "check" to make sure it hasn't gotten banged out of tune or something.

I'm a 1000% Tesoro person (though we do have several different detectors) - their customer service has been fantastic - even on the one I bought used, and even free on the one the dog chewed.

I just cannot stress enough this one fact - get to know everything about whatever machine you choose. Read the book, yes - but, you will also get much out of practicing with it. 

OH - and remember - its supposed to be fun!!! :Smiley

Mrs. O

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224285.html#msg224285

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:32:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

You've been getting some superb advice here and I'm going to add my agreement on being a Tesoro fan. I have three and several others (as you can tell by my inventory) and they're always the first ones I grab. Even the low end machine, my Compadre, is a top performer.

Go for the Tesoro while it's in your budget. It'll pay for itself in 6 months of weekend use.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36591.msg224297.html#msg224297

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: