[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline newbeeTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

In the market
« on: August 07, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Coffee Hello All;
My name is John. I am knew to this sight and to the creepy underworld of metal detecting. I started getting really in to my research about a month ago. I have researched just enough to now I am way in over my head!

Yes it would be very nice to go purchase a couple of OKM's or maybe 5 or 6 of those nifty GPX-4500. That isn't going to happen. Guys and Gals, if you have any suggestions as to what kind of detector would be good to start with I would very much appreciate that.

I want to crawl all over and under the mountains I want to be able to detect in the rivers and streams. I would like for the the detector to have the ability to change out coils quickly. Maybe an 8 to a 14 I don't know what do you think?

I really don't think my wife will allow me to spend over $1200 on such a new hobby.

Thanks for reading.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg109035.html#msg109035

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 04:06:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings, John. Welcome to the forums from Australia.

This can be a bit overwhelming at first so just take things one step at a time. Get an entry level detector that also happens to be a good machine for general use. A Garrett Ace 250, any Tesoro, any White's and don't forget to check for second hand machines on eBay or your local Craig's List.

When you start using your new machine, you will find coins and other goodies among the usual metal trash. Start saving those and before you know it, you will have enough for a top of the line machine. Start small and work your way up.

Also, don't lock your post or only moderators will be able to reply to you. Locking your post is for when you don't want anyone to reply. If that was your intention, I apologize for unlocking it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg109040.html#msg109040

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline JanotaKing
Copper Member

Hey its me xD
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Portugal

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Building a SandBanks PI and the SurfMaster
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was trying to reply to him, but like I said the post was locked, now is ok!  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg109049.html#msg109049

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

In the market
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:40:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry about the whole lock thing. I am new to your forum, I should be allowed a few mulligans from time to time.LOL Thanks for fixing it Golddigger, and thanks for the advise.

These people on youtube start talking about different frequencies and coil sizes and different modes and soon I am so confussed I don't know which way is up. I can work with your suggestions. I have read a number of books this last month, and watched more footage on youtube than I am willing to admit. So with that being said. I will simply take your advise, and get one of the below mentioned and just get out there and let it rip!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg109865.html#msg109865

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:49:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

It will help to do a realistic analysis of what sort of detecting you will do most.  The Ace 250 is an excellent beginners machine but there is no such thing as a truly "do it all" detector.  A machine that does well in relic hunting and coinshooting will usually be less than ideal for gold nugget hunting and vise-versa.  That's why there are machines designed specially for prospecting.  I don't own one because there just isn't much opportunity to prospect for gold in my area.  My Ace 250 does well for everything else until I take it to the beach.  There I have to back off the sensitivity and therefore the depth.   My "go-to" detector is an old Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX II.  It's like and old friend and we work well together.  I can tweak the adjustments to get the most out of wherever I'm hunting.  I do mostly coin/jewelry shooting with an occasional relic hunt thrown in.  As I said, analyze what you will do the most of.

You mentioned changing from an 8" to a 14" coil.  The 8" is a good all-round size.  The 14" would be mostly for relic and deep cache hunting.  I'd suggest getting a smaller, circa 4", coil that is great for coin shooting in trashy areas and also lets you get up closer to sidewalks, benches, etc.  The 4" is an asset in prospecting streams as well.

Speaking of streams, all good quality detectors are waterproof up to the box.  You do have to avoid getting water into the box however.  There are detectors made to work in water and if you plan to do a lot of water detecting you might want to purchase one.  Again, we are back to there being no all purpose detector.

One last thing..."the creepy underworld of metal detecting"?  LOL!  Never thought of it that way!

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg110241.html#msg110241

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:51:00 am by Stormrider1951, Reason: Corrected punctuation. »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

With out knowing your location, Hunting preferences,  Finances, and most important, your expectations I for one will not tell what you need to buy.

If you just want a taste of whats to be had and a start up. Think Ace or Tesoro.

Both have good resale values and make good backups after your addicted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg110302.html#msg110302

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

In the market
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:55:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank You;
For your post. My birthday is on the 29th of this month, and I still haven't figured it out yet. One more week and it will be pull the trigger time. I do like the apparent sales that Kelly.com seems to have. It seems if you buy a detector for some $1000.00 you get quite a bit for free or greatly discounted anyway.

Have you seen these adds?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg110844.html#msg110844

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Kellyco is a large and well known company with an excellent reputation.  The "combo" deals are usually priced cheaper than what you would pay for the items individually.  Shop around and decide.  Don't forget to consider a used unit as well.

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg110848.html#msg110848

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by newbee
Thank You;
For your post. My birthday is on the 29th of this month, and I still haven't figured it out yet. One more week and it will be pull the trigger time. I do like the apparent sales that Kelly.com seems to have. It seems if you buy a detector for some $1000.00 you get quite a bit for free or greatly discounted anyway.

Have you seen these adds?

Hello NB . My personal advice to you is take your time and do not be in a hurry !! Even though your budget is higher than most MD beginners , does not mean you have to spend it all on just ONE "single high priced machine" and then regret it later because it does not work as you expected or as advertised on the internet . If you have a $1000 or $1200 budget , make $800 your limit and you will have 2 or even 4 hundred dollars for treasure hunting travel expenses if you need it .   Will it be for salt/fresh water beaches or for Inland areas/mountains or "Both" ?  From reading good reviews I think the new Whites Prism 6T will be an excellent choice for all areas , if you can find one in stock at a Whites Dealer or the Big K . For only Gold/mountain/river areas check out field tests on the Minelab xterra 705 , it has the option search coils . After the New purchase then you can search for a used Tesoro /Whites or Garrett on Craigslist.org in your city for a back-up or wife's machine . The final decision is up to you but let us know what you decide before you "Pull the Trigger on your wallet" .  Shocked

HH............Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16981.msg110938.html#msg110938

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Whites Prism 6T.jpg
X-terra_705.jpg

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:58:56 am by Eugene52 »

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline dchip