[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline fourthplagueTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:47:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

have been detecting for about a week now with my whites xlt. this is my 1st detector and i was skeptical about purchasing a detector that was not an "entry" level. anyway, the xlt, after a little practice is an amazing machine. i have not gotten brave enough to play with the custom features yet but am now familiar with the pre programmed modes of operation. i am digging everything and taking notes on what i find vrs what the vdi indicated. i have not found anything of value yet, but am confident about the xlt's abilities. so far i have found.....1985 quarter/1943 wheat/rusty bottlecap/hotwheels car/and a canteen that was 14.5 inches deep.
i have used the internet to look up pictures of an old feedmill in my town that has been around since the late 1800's. the pictures show a travel route of horse and buggy along the river where the feed mill still stands today. according to the pics, i can see exactly the well traveled area that i will detect very soon. maybe ill find some interesting stuff there, we'll see.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg111587.html#msg111587

Offline GaDawg
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:32:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Same here.  I've begun making a determined effort to learn as much as I can on every little find, whether it's a pull tab or coin, etc.  Get's a little frustrating sometimes but I guess that's part of it.  I'm looking to get into a club and get some hands on advice from folks that have been doing this a lot longer than I.  But just like fishing, which I love, it beats sitting around the house when you have no odds and ends to take care of.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg111592.html#msg111592

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:20:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

I had an XLT and never did find much reason to use more than the pre-set programs.  You have a very capable detector that will serve you well.  Starting with an "entry level" machine makes sense if you're not sure if you will like the hobby and stick with it.  On the other hand, starting with a more capable machine will keep you from having to spend more money later.  The most important thing is to learn to think like a detectorist.  Where have people been in large numbers with their minds on something else?  It sounds like you are well on your way there.

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg111607.html#msg111607

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

good point, stormrider.   The best tool any of us has is the one between our ears. 

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg111829.html#msg111829

Offline Robroy59
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer II, White's 6000/Di PRO SL, Radio Shack Discovery 2000
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:46:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the MD fraternity fourthplague, and congratulations on the purchase of a nice machine.
I've found that keeping a log of my finds, as well as modifications made to the MD help a lot, cause I suffer from CRS.
The log also helps to remind me of my finds, so my Spousal Unit cannot tell me I haven't found anything for her.
Pictures help out too, so the rest of us can comment on what we wish we had found. 
HH Robroy59

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg204017.html#msg204017

2015 coins - 0 Dollars, 0 Half dollars, 24 Quarters, 18 Dimes, 5 Nickels, 30 Pennies -- Total $8.35
Silver - zilch  Gold - nada

Blix   Invaders  
Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's one nice thing with the XLT......... You can start with the factory programs and after you get a feel for it start messing around with the programming. I mostly found my XLT settings were usually adjustments to the program to adapt to different soil and minerals. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg204066.html#msg204066

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:01:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have had my XLT since it came out and learned it very well, it is one heck of a machine even all the newer machines it will stand up to, i have hunted with other guys with newer machines and found much more than them, you just have to practice and learn what you machine is telling you and dig those targets when in doubt. Good Luck ....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17353.msg204097.html#msg204097

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: