[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline keithcrisTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites M6
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:24:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello...
My wife and I (from Vancouver, BC, Canada Rider) will be vacationing in Atlanta, Georgia... driving to Augusta... then driving east to the Atlantic coast and up to Manhattan, New York and Boston, Massachusetts. I'll be metal detecting the whole damn way!  Detecting While my beautiful wife rolls her eyes wishing I would just hurry up and get the hell back in the car. Idiot
So... should I be a lucky, stupid Canuck and find something historically significant (please, Lord, some Civil War stuff!!) do I have to declare it to anyone... or can I squirrel it away in my luggage to later display it on my igloo's fireplace mantle? Fountain
Your opinions are welcome....  Wise ignored maybe, but welcome none the less  Great!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239583.html#msg239583

Living for the next BEEP!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Read up on the 1906 Antiquities Act.

That should cover you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239609.html#msg239609

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:07:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, the trouble with that is some of the items, once registered, can be sold without provenance or paperwork. It makes all finds impossible to differentiate between found or sold items.

Keith, your biggest concern will be local laws which, if broken, could lead to fines and/or loss of your equipment. Basically, all National Parks, National Monuments and most state parks are off limits. City parks are a mixed bag. Some places allow it and others don't. Your best bet is to arrange to meet with a local treasure hunter in each city where you plan to stop. When you get your itinerary finalized, come back and arrange to meet with some of the members here. I live half way between New York City and Boston. You practically have to pass my house on the way. Your wife can sit in a comfy easy chair, sip tea and chat with my Australian wife while we go out and poke holes in the ground. Something like that can almost always be arranged in every city. This forum has 23,000 members.

Anyway, give that some thought. Most of us are just looking for an excuse to go out. For me, it's easy. My wife has hobbies that keep her busy and she feels guilty pursuing them when I'm home or not otherwise occupied. So, we love our individual time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239701.html#msg239701

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:30:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

That is GD.. provided another 'Sandy' doesn't show up on your front door and want to rip off your roof or something like that!
How did you do out there for Sandy?
Did you take pictures? Want to share them?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239713.html#msg239713

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by zul32
That is GD.. provided another 'Sandy' doesn't show up on your front door and want to rip off your roof or something like that!
How did you do out there for Sandy?
Did you take pictures? Want to share them?

I was too busy to take pictures. We lost power for 4 days and lost one tree. As for the beaches, they all wound up a quarter of a mile inland stacked up 9 feet and destroyed many buildings.

Sandy did nothing in Connecticut to improve your odds of finding anything. It's still a mess down along the coast.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239715.html#msg239715

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmm.. you'd think that this newly turned-up sand might unearth some interesting treasures perhaps?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239716.html#msg239716

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:11:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by zul32
Hmmm.. you'd think that this newly turned-up sand might unearth some interesting treasures perhaps?

It did not. The south facing beaches were not eroded, they were moved. Most of the beaches are now up to a quarter mile shorter than before Sandy. Remember, most of the CT shoreline faces south - directly into the wind of Sandy. Two days of relentless pounding did the job.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg239717.html#msg239717

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites M6
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:33:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info, Golddigger. We'll be driving from Manhattan to Boston (about 4 hours I understand) on Saturday February 2nd, probably getting half way around noon-time. If you're available that would be great! Private message me your contact info.
Keith

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg247988.html#msg247988

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:44:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by keithcris
Thanks for the info, Golddigger. We'll be driving from Manhattan to Boston (about 4 hours I understand) on Saturday February 2nd, probably getting half way around noon-time. If you're available that would be great! Private message me your contact info.

You're welcome. We're quite a distance from the Interstate, if that's the path you are taking. If you go through Hartford, we are about 30 minutes off. Depends on what kind of scenery you want during your drive. I live in Mansfield, near Willimantic. About 30 minutes east of Hartford and 50 miles from I-95. Easy enough to meet somewhere for coffee or, if you wish, a visit to our 1850s home. If there's no snow, we can cover some virgin territory. I've never detected my own yard. Been waiting for the first TH visitor to come along. Who knows? You might be it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg248005.html#msg248005

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites M6
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Golddigger...
Our route from Manhattan is through New Haven to Hwy 91 to Hwy 84 to Hwy 90 at Sturbridge. We could easily do a detour through to Mansfield as we have no plans along the way other than to experience the countryside. Would love to detect an 1850's yard!!  Kiss Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38849.msg248095.html#msg248095

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: