[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ronpadTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:50:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

He folks,

I'm retired now living in Arkansas and my metal detector came today.  I owed one back in the early 80's until my kids managed to lose it.  At any rate, detectors and the laws have really changed.  Back in those days, you could detect just about anywhere except private property until someone told you not to.  Now after a little checking, I'm afraid to try it anywhere except my backyard.  I loved the search back then, and I'm anxious to get started again.

This is really hard for me to get a handle on.  While I read on some threads and places that you can search in parks, I read in others that you need permission in writing.  I'm not even sure who to ask.  I found several weeks ago that there was a metal detecting club in Northwest Arkansas and tried to ask them, but my email was returned.  I hope to travel shortly, and plan on taking my metal detector.  At this stage I am wondering if I can even use it at a rest area.  Thanks.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37991.msg234357.html#msg234357

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:18:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

It won't get any better, either. Each state and municipality have different rules so you do have to research a bit. First go with state laws. Most of them do not allow metal detecting in state parks, state forests or state reserves. Even if your property lies smack dab in the middle of one, you may be banned from using a detector there. Better to ask than to lose your equipment since most states allow confiscation of equipment or in some cases, your vehicle. Local parks are at the whim of the local towns. In my personal experience, there are very few laws in the municipalities but overzealous law enforcement officers and park maintenance people can make your life miserable by mistakenly informing you that you are breaking the law. I suggest that even if you find no law against using a detector, when an official chases you away, discretion is better than a fight.

In that same light, I find it very helpful to do a couple of things in preparation for such a confrontation with misguided officialdom. First, hide all high value items in a secure pocket. Rings, silver and gold items, silver and gold coins and other sparkly stuff are better off out of sight. Showing them a handful of wire, nails, screws and pieces of "can slaw" first is good as you explain that you pick up all trash as you work. Show that you have covered all holes making every effort to keep the grounds clean as you go along can win the heart of a groundskeeper in one second. A police officer who you show sharp objects to while explaining that you make the park safe for barefooted children is often another instant convert to your way of doing things. If they ask if you ever find money, show them the loose change that you have in your finds pouch and tell them you mostly only pay for batteries on any given outing. Keep the things in your deep pocket out of the conversation for your own good.

Posted on: October 04, 2012, 05:17:57 PM
Oops! I just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37991.msg234362.html#msg234362

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:20:40 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, Ronpad!  Welcome to the forum from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!   Welcome  Join in the fun here!       Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37991.msg234398.html#msg234398

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline lugknut32
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pending!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:58:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ronpad, welcome aboard! I am as new to this as you are, but the advice you have recieved so far makes sense. And, as always, leave it cleaner than when you got it.

Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37991.msg239156.html#msg239156

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male