[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TreasuressTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Treasure Hunter 3030
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:41:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am expecting my 1st metal detector for Christmas.  I am looking for any tips that I can use to search successfully in the cold/snow.  Any tips or advice is welcome.  Happy Holidays everyone!  Kiss

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130405.html#msg130405

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Treasuress

I have never hunted the frozen ground are in snow sorry I can't help. But you can get some research done and and pick out some spots to hit in the spring. We do have a lot of cold weather guys here maybe they have some pointers

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130407.html#msg130407

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:32:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
We've had -15 (!) temperatures here the past week or two.
The ground is like concrete!
There is NO WAY you will get through it to recover stuff.
What you can do though, (if the snow isn't too deep) is find an area where kids/people have been sledging or playing.
You'd be surprised what falls out of pockets when having fun in the snow!
It'll all be on the surface or just under the snow!
Good luck!

Oh... BTW - Cover the control box with a plastic bag... snow melts!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130429.html#msg130429

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:36:00 am by Paul A »
Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:07:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

high of 20 today Cry Cry,no digging here,last year i was desperate and went in jan,got a nice silver signal but couldn't dig thru the frozen ground,stood there looking at my semi dug hole and then went home and filled a plastic milk container with hot water,went back poured it on the hole and dug up a silver ring,desperate times call for desperate measures 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130445.html#msg130445

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:26:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bomber
high of 20 today Cry Cry,no digging here,last year i was desperate and went in jan,got a nice silver signal but couldn't dig thru the frozen ground,stood there looking at my semi dug hole and then went home and filled a plastic milk container with hot water,went back poured it on the hole and dug up a silver ring,desperate times call for desperate measures 

Thanks for the tip, I will take one with me!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130449.html#msg130449

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Treasuress
I am expecting my 1st metal detector for Christmas.  I am looking for any tips that I can use to search successfully in the cold/snow.  Any tips or advice is welcome.  Happy Holidays everyone!  Kiss
  Bare ground will be hard so look for spots that have tall grass with snow on top of the grass.  The grass and snow will insulate the ground and the digging will be easier.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130849.html#msg130849

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Treasuress

Happy Holidays back at ya!

While it is crushingly difficult to wait until spring, that's the best advice you can get. I was born and raised in the northeast corner of the USA so I speak from experience. Be patient. Study your machine. Get a cardboard box that is at least 12 inches tall and put a variety of targets on the box. Check your detector and see how it reacts in the air testing of these objects. Check out all the modes, filters and indications for each object. Learn your machine. In a Zen like moment (rare for me), I suggest you become one with your machine.

That's the inside part. Now for the outside part. As you drive around in daily to and fro, watch for places where people congregate in winter. Sledding hills, ice skating parties, caroling concerts and dog walking parks are all places where things are lost in the snow. Like dropping something in the water, snow gobbles up an item and leaves little trace of its path. Using your detector in snow is not easy because the coil may be 6 to 10 inches above the item putting it out of range, depending on size. You're far better off waiting for spring to spring. But you can make note of the places where people hang out in winter and go back there at the first snow melt. As you write them down, you are becoming efficient at treasure hunting.

Your local library will often have newspapers from hundreds of years ago. Look through them for gathering places that might still be there. If you are a cache hunter, or want to be one, watch for articles about unsolved crimes which may have involved money or jewelry. Don't be too optimistic about them, however, because most "solved" crimes don't make it in the paper after they are solved. It's just not as newsworthy to say that something was found and returned. Watch for notices of old universities and other public places being torn down for development. An old college campus that is now a housing development will still yield things from the days of academia. Construction crews were not so diligent about removing old soils back then. They just pushed them around. The good stuff is often still there. Sometimes an old campus is made into a park and overlooked as too small for attention by other detectorists. That's to your advantage.

Let your imagination run wild. Bake a huge lot of brownies or cookies and bring them to the nearest retirement home. Make friends with the residents there. Read to them. Talk to them. Ask them about the early days of their lives in your home town. You will be absolutely inundated with leads for spring. Join your local historical society and use the resources there. Old newsletters are an absolute treasure trove of leads. Old journals,diaries and personal letters can point to places you never knew existed.

Clearly you have found the on line resources here on the Internet or you wouldn't be here. There are some really great map and historical links on this very forum. You will have to dig them out by clever searching but you have plenty of time while you are locked in your low temperature prison over winter.

I could give you hundreds, maybe even thousands, of examples of all the above leading me to treasure. Sometimes it's a beautiful coin or token. Other times a piece of jewelry. Once in a while, it's a cache or priceless relic. Oh, yes, the most fun is in the finding of a treasure but there is much to be said about looking back at the steps that led you to it. Each step makes you better at what you are doing.

Don't hate winter. Enjoy it and use it to your advantage.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130940.html#msg130940

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 03:18:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Don't hate winter. Enjoy it and use it to your advantage.

Hear! Hear!    Good advise from all.   Where I live winter is my friend and the time for me to be active in the field.    But when summer comes it can be too bloody hot to be safe to dig (and the ground is too hard to dig through with anything short of a jack hammer), so that's my time for concentrating on the things GD has suggested.   Unless you're planning on mostly being a serendipitous hunter, preparation is the key to success.   And the best time to prepare is when the weather won't let you get out and hunt.   

(Besides, some of us wind up finding that good, quality research where you're chasing leads hither and yon, can be nearly as exciting as swinging a detector......And digging something out of a site that YOU found because YOU did the research makes the finding all the more rewarding--especially if it's a cache that you tracked down as opposed to a stray coin or two).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130959.html#msg130959

Offline trashdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:27:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All around parking lots is a good one, if no grass is around walk the parking lot up and down you do not need a detector for that one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130962.html#msg130962

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 03:29:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
(Besides, some of us wind up finding that good, quality research where you're chasing leads hither and yon, can be nearly as exciting as swinging a detector......And digging something out of a site that YOU found because YOU did the research makes the finding all the more rewarding--especially if it's a cache that you tracked down as opposed to a stray coin or two).

BA is absolutely correct here. When you do a Google search, have you ever notices how easily you can be dragged around the Internet by links that capture your imagination? Well, by gosh and by golly, that happens in EVERY avenue of research and you WILL find some tidbit that will lead you to treasures both tiny and large.

By the way, BA and I pay each other for compliments. I think I owe him quite a bit now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19817.msg130964.html#msg130964

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: