[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline PaddyLee17Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 30, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm new to detecting and am very excited to get started.  What brought me here was meteorites (I'm a geology student).  I'm looking for something under $300 with moderate penetrating depth. 
Maybe if someone has more information as to what I should be looking for as far as equipment that would be great!

I know they are rare, but it would be a great addition to my collection! (As would be anything else I'd find!)

Thanks much!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg167322.html#msg167322

Offline GoldHound
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

480.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace350, AT Pro, Deluxe Pointer and a much older ADS VLF/TR Deepseeker (purchased new in the 70's) - Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 - AutoMax Pin-pointer (which is crap) / soon a GPX 5000 Minelab and Garrett Infinium
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:55:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by PaddyLee17
I'm new to detecting and am very excited to get started.  What brought me here was meteorites (I'm a geology student).  I'm looking for something under $300 with moderate penetrating depth.  
Maybe if someone has more information as to what I should be looking for as far as equipment that would be great!

I know they are rare, but it would be a great addition to my collection! (As would be anything else I'd find!)

Thanks much!

Hi there,

Being a geology student you would know that these things are mostly composed of iron and as such are heavy. I personally think most any detector will locate them fine if they are sitting on the top, deeper ones will depend on the size and capabilities of your detector in all metal mode.

More recently I have reconsidered the worth of this items as they are really not as special as everyone thinks. Don't get me wrong as I think a piece or chunk of rock that has obvious signs of space travel and entry into our atmosphere has definite appeal.

However everything we have on earth has come from the cosmos and any iron/matter you find will have come from space at some point in time.

I think a magnet will also do the trick, just like we used to get amused by "rocks" that would stick to magnets when playing in the dirt. These iron rocks have come from out there.

Find a detector thats light and has a good rap for the money from any of the main stream detector makers. Check out Kellyco.com as they are very helpful.

I would stay clear of the cheap Tandy like types...

Hope you do well.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg167328.html#msg167328

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 05:59:44 pm by GoldHound »

"There's Gold in them there Hills, just got to get of your arse and find it..."
Thanks Mr Garrett, love your work...
"A bad day's detecting with the family is better then any the kids would spend watching TV." Me....

Offline milesdzyn
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab SD2100V2, Eureka Gold, XT17000 - Fisher Gemini III
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi....For under $300.00 your not going to find many PI units but there are still many VLF detectors in that range used. Check your local Craigslist if you have it or eBay is another good source.

Stick with the better brands like: Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Fischer, Garrett. Most of these will have discrimination of some sort but for meteorites you'll be using all metal mode. Look for a lower frequency as that will go deeper on larger iron targets.

Sounds like the detectors set up for relic hunting may be the best for meteorite hunting as well, Larger coils deeper seeking and good for finding iron targets.

When it comes down to it any good quality detector will work, even an older used one. Personally I'd shot for an older Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

Miles

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg167959.html#msg167959

Offline kaimi50
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites GMT and a minelab sd2200d
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:58:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

aloha paddylee,

you should keep an eye out on craigslist as well as on ebay for an older vlf like a goldmaster vsat or even save up for a used GMT. In the long run you will find that waiting for something "good" will always be better than rushing into this hobby.
Aloha,
Stan aka Kaimi

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg167968.html#msg167968

Offline PaddyLee17Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:08:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks for the help folks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg168020.html#msg168020

Offline meteorite608
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter, Fisher F5
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:08:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

I collect meteorites from all over. Hunted in a lot of states and would tell you when I first got into hunting them I just bought a cheap one and it worked. You know the different classes of them but most will contain Iron and you can detect them. Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg174676.html#msg174676

Offline MeteoriteMan2
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Any detector that you can run in an all iron mode will work good enough to get you started. The higher dollar ones will help you not waste time digging for silver and gold, but focus on digging iron only.

Steve Arnold
of Meteorite Men

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg201288.html#msg201288

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome and good luck PaddyLee17. Don't have enough knowledge/experience to be of any help, but I did find a meteorite when I was a kid while visiting my grandparents. My parents wouldn't let me take my cool "rock" home. Didn't know it was a meteorite until I got on this site and learned what they look like, lol. Very funny, MM2. Who wants that nasty gold and silver, ha ha.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23301.msg215848.html#msg215848

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: