[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline KellycoChickTopic starter
Copper Member

Hi! I'm Jamie-the new Creative Director at Kellyco
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here at Kellyco we have a wealth of knowledge about metal detecting. I got to thinking the other day that it would be cool if I got some of our old timers to share tips and tricks from time to time. I thought this was a GREAT idea. So I interviewed John Fetner, our Vice President. I asked him for 3 simple tips that make detecting easier or more efficient. Now bear in mind these are more "beginner" tips. Here's what he gave me. I hope you enjoy!!

Tip 1. Carry one of those mechanics terry towels (the big ones) or a small sheet of heavy plastic with you. When you stop to dig, lay it beside the hole and pile your dirt onto it. This will accomplish 2 things.
It will keep the dirt all together so you can fill the hole more efficiently (especially in grassy areas)
It will be a "catch all " for tiny items found like earrings. Nothing more frustrating that digging up a cool signal only to find you've accidentally dumped it in the grass and have to hunt again.

Tip 2:
If you use a coil cover around sand like at the beach, from time to time remove the cover and carefully clean all the sand that might have wedged in the cracks. This is a bit painstaking but it will really be beneficial in the long run to keep your coil shiny and new.

Tip 3. Again, when detecting around sand, make sure that from time to time you change the position of the rods. If you leave them in the same position for a long time and sand gets into the rod housing it will permanently lock it in place and you can't ever adjust it again for someone a different height than you. Also, you can rub a little WD-40 or some Armour All along the rod to keep it moving smooth. Just make sure you don't leave a film of it on the shaft, it will attract and hold dust/sand.

Thanks John! I hope you guys like these tips. I know they might seem rudimentary to you experts, but us newbies love em! Also...feel free to reply and post YOUR tips!!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25213.msg174726.html#msg174726

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

john-indesert.jpg

Jamie
Creative Director
Kellyco Metal Detectors
800-327-9697 or 407-699-8700 ext. 153
socialmedia@kellycodetectors.com

Please Register or Login

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, Jamie.   I'd never heard the last two (but then there isn't a lot of beach hunting in Arizona  Smiley ).   I'll keep them in mind the next time I go to the coast.   Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the Kellyco staff has to offer.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25213.msg174729.html#msg174729

Offline GREY RIDER
Bronze Member

There is iron in my words
Thank you10

Activity
0%
Male
United States

540.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MARKSMAN &  FISHER  F-2     Garrett pro pointer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:55:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

good tips . I will share one that will save time and some unneeded diggin  if you have a hand pinpointer check the surface with it  before you start to dig when in grass or even dirt you can just push it down in the dirt a little  do it carefully somtimes targets are right on top and you may not have to dig at all the this will save you time and effort  and won't   mess up peoples  lawns. and they will let you return to hunt there again .  some folks are understandibly picky about their lawns.  Happy hunting!  Josey A.K.A. Grey Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25213.msg174751.html#msg174751

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'll add to number 3 on the rods and WD40. I ALWAYS rinse my detector in fresh water after using around any salt water or salt water beach. The salt will do a number on even powder coated parts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25213.msg174799.html#msg174799

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold