[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BeercanmanTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Minelab Safari, Fisher Goldbug
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'd like to get your thoughts on pinpointers. Recommendations, various technologies, ones to stay away from, etc. I use a cheap-o pinpointer that came from Harbor Freight tools. My detector friend said the pinpointer was just as good as an expensive one at giving a signal whether or not something was still "in the hole." That might be true, but maybe not. Also, it seems like different pinpointers can actually tell you what direction the object is in from where the pinpointer is. Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. I welcome any education or correction.

If there's already a good thread on this I'd be happy to read it. This forum has so much info that I thought it might just be easier to post a new thread and ask for advice.

I will say that I'm not really unhappy with the cheap pinpointer. I'm just wondering what I might be missing out on by not having a higher quality one.

Thanks!

Beercanman

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46975.msg257843.html#msg257843

I sure would like to dig some silver coins. Until then, I guess I'll be happy digging 1930s beer cans!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:19:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

First let me say I think everyone should spend the time it takes to learn how to pinpoint with their detector.  Comes in handy.  Having said that, a pinpointer, even the Harbor Freight one, will speed up most folks recovery time---especially if the object is small and very nearly the color of the soil.
     I have used the Harbor Freight pinpointer, the White's Bullseye II, and the Garrett THD.   My personal order of preference is 1) the Garrett THD, 2) the Harbor Freight pinpointer, 3) the White's.    The Garrett's THD is more ruggedly built than the other two and, because of it's shape and size, I have a lot more options about where and how I carry it in the field.  Since I usually wear carpenter pants in the field, I generally wind up sticking it in the folding ruler pocket on my right leg while my short pick goes in the hammer loop on the left leg.   
     As far as actual ability to find the hidden piece, I don't find a lot of difference between the 3, but with the THD, I don't worry the pinpointer getting broken while I'm out on the field.  (plus because of the shape I find it's a little bit easier to "brush" the soil back into the hole to make sure I haven't missed anything else with the THD than with the other two).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46975.msg257849.html#msg257849

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Beercanman

I have heard a lot of good about the Garret pro pointer but I have never used it. The pin-pointers that I use are all home brew and will detect a coin at 100mm or there about and I must say that the depth is an advantage. I have one pin-pointer that has an increasing pulse rate as it get's closer to the object and that too is nice to have.  After my cerebral malaria I lost about 40% of my eye site (Doctors say that it was coincidence) so a pin-pointer for me is a must have even though I can tell within 2 or 3 cm where the object should be, it's just that I can't find it in the dirt and especially if it's small.   

HH
Xavier     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46975.msg257882.html#msg257882

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline BeercanmanTopic starter
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Minelab Safari, Fisher Goldbug
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:43:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA - thanks for your thoughts. I'll probably just stick with what I'm using then until it breaks on me. Seems pretty well built anyway, I guess I just wanted to see what features I might be missing.

Xavier - glad you made it out of the hospital and are able to dig some dirt! Homemade pinpointer sounds cool.

Beercanman

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46975.msg257901.html#msg257901

I sure would like to dig some silver coins. Until then, I guess I'll be happy digging 1930s beer cans!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Xav, I don't know much about cerebral malaria, but I do hope you can regain your eyesight.

There are water-resistant and fully submersible probes available with 3 kinds of alerts (buzzer, flashing LED and vibration). I wrote in to the manufacturer, but they seemed to be looking for distributors, not retail customers. The price for 1 unit orders is pretty steep. Anyways, here's their website:

Please Register or Login

www.metalprobe.com

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46975.msg257909.html#msg257909

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:04:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
Xav, I don't know much about cerebral malaria, but I do hope you can regain your eyesight

Not much hope of that ever happening I'm afraid.
Quote:Posted by Beercanman
Xavier - glad you made it out of the hospital and are able to dig some dirt! Homemade pinpointer sounds cool

Been out for a few weeks now but will have to go back on the 13nth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46975.msg257937.html#msg257937

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: