[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GarrettnewbieTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ACE 250
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:15:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Guys, and gals. I'm truly a newbie to this been out detecting four  times and all in the same small lot. I've had several finds but the overwhelming feeling I get is that I really need to acquire a pin pointer. Am I right about this? Must I get one? I certainly feel that it would help out tremendously. Help me.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261482.html#msg261482

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

A pinpointer is NOT a necessity.
     Most modern detectors have built in pinpointer capability.   In addition, pinpointing can be done with any detector by running perpendicular sweep across the target area and noting where the signal is strongest in each direction.   Where your north-south line crosses your east-west line is where your target is going to be.
      That being said, a pinpointer will speed your recovery time and help you find the small dirt colored objects in your hole.

BA

by the way, I took the liberty of moving this post to a more appropriate area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261483.html#msg261483

Offline Live2Hunt
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 350
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:26:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

I also went out about 3-4 times before purchasing my first pinpointer which is the Garrett Pro Pointer. Since having it, I am 99% sure that I missed finds before I had it.  I remember digging a couple holes and never finding anything.  It could just be rookie mistakes but I haven't had that happen since buying a pointer. The pointer has increased my success rate as well as decreased my recovery times.  For me it is a must have....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261484.html#msg261484

Happy Hunting...

Heather

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:10:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Live2Hunt
I also went out about 3-4 times before purchasing my first pinpointer which is the Garrett Pro Pointer. Since having it, I am 99% sure that I missed finds before I had it.  I remember digging a couple holes and never finding anything.  It could just be rookie mistakes but I haven't had that happen since buying a pointer. The pointer has increased my success rate as well as decreased my recovery times.  For me it is a must have....

This is the best reason for a pinpointer. You do find things you missed or gave up on. And, it speeds recovery in almost every other case.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261490.html#msg261490

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:01:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've been detecting since the early 1970's and never had a pinpointer until last year.  I learned to pinpoint with the coil and a blunted ice pick and screwdriver.  Since the pinpointer, I have found it much easier to find a target in the ground.

But be sure NOT to use the electronic pinpointer as a probe or a pry tool to take the target out of the ground.  No faster way to break the pinpointer than that!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261502.html#msg261502

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:50:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I could always pin point well with my older detectors. The newer ones seem more difficult. I have had many pin pointers. Some of the cheaper ones will break easy with most any physical prying. i have a Vibraprobe but sometimes my hand gets a bit numb from detecting for along time and I can 't feel the vibration. My current pinpointer is the Pistol Probe. It works well and has very good range.(4-5 inches .. no problem). The handle is a bit awkward to hold and it looks like a black powder pistol so have had the cops check me out twice. I understand the Garrett probe is highly rated. Just be careful as some probes have very short range, like 1/2" and you darn near have to touch the coin to hear it. I'm sure you will get a zillion suggestions here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261510.html#msg261510

Offline rssdiver
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2,  Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:38:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I couldn't agree more with those who highly recommend a pro pointer.  I am also new to the hobby, I am limited with the time.  The pro pointer makes recovery time very quick.  Some targets blend in with the rocks and dirt so well they could be easily overlooked and missed.  That is frustrating.  Find and Pin point with the detector, recover with a pro pointer. You'll be glad you did.  Good Luck. HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261772.html#msg261772

Offline GarrettnewbieTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I'm definitely picking one up as soon as possible. Very exciting stuff hearing about how well they work and how they cut down on recovery time. Thanks again and HH. Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47538.msg261775.html#msg261775

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: