[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline brich2Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:14:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What's the best metal detector to buy?  We rented one once but it seemed to pick up only soft dring tabs and bullet casings. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7019.msg42896.html#msg42896

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:17:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The best will be determined by so many factors that a direct answer may be a while in coming to you.

First, describe what you want to accomplish. What kind of things are you wanting to find? Relics? Coins? Gold nuggets? Where are your primary hunting areas? Do you have a machine now or just tried the rental unit?

A silly question to you now. Did you read the manual on the rental machine before you got such disappointing results? Did you organize your search or just flail around for a while? Next time, try detecting your own front and back yards with an eye towards being thorough. Every square inch matters.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7019.msg42914.html#msg42914

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline brich2Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:40:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm hunting for gold coins and ingots.  I don't own a detector and the one I rented I just took instruction from the guy who rented it to me.  I tried a LRL but it doesn't pin point although it does get you in the general area.   I know this because we took turns hiding gold coins in various locations. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7019.msg42989.html#msg42989

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is no guarantee with an LRL but there is with a metal detector. Any of the Garrett GTI models, the Minelab X-Terra models or almost any of the Tesoro detectors will do a fine job on gold, silver and clad coins. If you are looking for LRL or deep double box units to find gold coins, they would have to be in a huge drum before you will find them. For deep detection, you need lots of mass. For coin hunting in parks you need a quality metal detector like those I mentioned.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7019.msg42993.html#msg42993

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: