[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RedneckDiggerTopic starter
Pull Tab

THunting is like a box of chocolates.
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 27, 2009, 10:25:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello I'm new to the site and am looking to ya'll for some advice! You see, I do not own a metal detector, nor can I afford one at the moment. So, my question, is there a treasure hunting type I can do without a detector or anything too expensive? Also, I have been looking but cannot seem to find anywhere with Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps for my area (Louisiana), any advice? Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37043.html#msg37043

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:03:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

As a matter of interest you may want to read some of the research areas here. There's a lot of good information you can learn about where to hunt for treasure. Most treasure is found long before the detector comes out of the closet. People never just walk up to a field and start swinging a coil. There must be a reason for a person to go to a particular spot and often it is the result of research.

This was just pure dumb luck on my part being where I describe in this post:

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/beach_shallow_water/beach_day_sorrento_20_june_2009-t5977.0.html;msg36504#msg36504

But I didn't just rock up to the beach that day. I went because my research told me that Sorrento was used by bathers for over 100 years. Oh, a lot of sand has come and gone in those years but the windy day indicated that I may actually see some changes in the sand structure. Even better was the result that I actually got there at that magic moment when the sand was blown away leaving coins and other objects exposed to my eyes. My detector never came into play.

You cannot count on that ever happening again but when it does and you happen to be there, it really is quite magical.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37050.html#msg37050

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:39:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome RedneckDigger - I often spot items on the surface, when I'm detecting, before the coil swings over them. I've spotted lots of Indian head pennies on the surface around old trees and churches after a heavy rain has eroded soil away. Detecting gets you out there looking, but just looking will find you things on the surface. You could search for Native artifacts as they are stone and have value.

As for the Sanborn maps - looks to me like if you have a library card from anywhere in Louisiana, you can access them with this link.

Please Register or Login

http://lalibcon.state.lib.la.us/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37071.html#msg37071

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys! While I couldn't find any Sanborn maps on the link you gave me Sue, it was very helpful as it led me to a section of the Library of Congress' site! Not sure why I didn't think of that before! Violent and thanks GoldDigger for your help. I have done some surface hunting for Native American Items at my families camp at Larto Lake. This is really what got me interested in this subject, our camp itself is on a burial mound. Pottery is plentiful on the surface. I've found numerous campfire rings it looks like, and a couple of arrowheads! ALthough this has led me to thinking, I would find it great to get a section of the land and dig it up and go through it with a sifter, but I DEFINATELY don't wanna do it too close to the camp itself out of respect. I would be ok with digging a distance away from the mound, but what about the legal ramifications? Is there a radius around a burial ground in which you can't dig? It's all privately owned land by my uncle. Thanks again!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37094.html#msg37094

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:28:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi RND, sorry about the link not going to the maps - I don't have a LA library card so it was just a shot in the dark. Interesting about the mound - do you have badgers in your area? They are handy critters that sometimes dig out items when they are burrowing around. . . . old burrowing - not fresh diggings as they might be home   Shocked If the land is privately owned - I don't see a problem, but that is just my opinion. . . . I wouldn't want to dig up someone's grave, but a village site shouldn't be far away and that might be fun to look for. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37328.html#msg37328

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:10:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Naw, no badgers, we got some other critters that do alot of hole digging! But the most common one, a crawdad, digs a hole only and inch or two wide so no help from them! I know what you mean about not wanting to dig up someones grave. but you see, the mound descends in an almost straigt slope to the water. Im not too too familiar with Native American practices of this sort, but they held different sorts of ceremonies on top of the mounds didn't they? Maybe some of their items slipped and descended into the water?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37330.html#msg37330

Offline DocStorey
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 05:22:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

May years ago I used to do Arrow head hunting we often found them in creek beds you will not find them in an area of sandy shoals in a creek but look in areas that have rocky shoals. Now here on the Saluda river here in south carolina people are still finding arrow heads shards of pottery and even war club heads along the river banks. Went down to a local store yesterday and some clown had found a stone war club head down on river came out and put a $150 dollar price tag on it, like he made it himself. it was nice but only a fool would give money to another fool for him to get rich. Yes there is another story in this.

Now about Mounds of the mound builders. Well the US Dept of the Interior has cataloged around 90% of known mounds east and west of the mississippi. they and the are around them ar protected by federal law so do not try to dig on them unless you are under a federal contract. Now let us say you know of a mound and there is a waterway nearby all navigatible waterways or moving water falls under the Corps of Engineers they do not care if you pick and prod around river banks unless it may change the course of a river. Some states have thier own laws concerning the mounds too you will have to look that information up on your own. yes that takes more time but you have to research research research dig.

Personally I would always go toward bodies of water natural lakes rivers creeks and streams, history has shown us that people always congrigate to waterways, it is something in our DNA. but if you going to look for ancient finds that is where I would go.

Now remember Public lands national parks state parks really frown on treasure hunting metal detecting. Many of these mounds are on Public land there are a few that are not but you have to have the property owns permission better written permission to be there on the land. because if you find something under verbal contract the can call the authories and have any findings taken from you. And Pray that when you do get a good dig that you do not find a bone especially human bones because the course of your life will change and that moment mostly in the wrong direction for several weeks months or years.

Doc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37344.html#msg37344

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 11:34:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank Doc! Yes, the mound is privately owned. What you said about the Corps of Engineers not minding prodding around a waterway, well this here is a lake? Do they still have power over it? Also, does that include a low water when land normally covered with water is exposed? thanks again!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37373.html#msg37373

Offline DocStorey
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 03:15:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Corps of Engineers there is a yes and no on that. Public lakes that the water level is controled by a spillway yes they do have power over them. Private midwestern lakes no. But the best way to find out is to contact you local office of Army Corps of Engineers or look them up on the web. Only reason I know anything at al about the ACofE is way back in the early 1980's I worked for an engineering firm on a survey crew. They were contracted out to ACofE for different jobs and I asked plenty of questions back then. But if you do talk to them be very gentle in what you say about what your plans are...

Doc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37482.html#msg37482

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Aha! I see now! Thanks alot! Then the lake IS under there power as it directly leads to a spillway! I'll have to see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6085.msg37522.html#msg37522

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: