[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline fourthplagueTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

purchased a like new used xlt spectrum(rainbow coil), im new to detecting and have done alot of research b4 the purchase. it seems to be a quality piece of equipment. i have not graduated as of yet to program any personal settings. i am amazed at the sensitivity and depth that this thing recovers. any suggestions as to what settings that i may try for deep relics and is the relic mode the way to go to find most things or should i use the coin and jewelery mode? im not looking for anything in particular but want to cover a wide gammit. i also purchased a pro pointer and i must say that it cuts my digging time in half. on the other hand, should i consider a different detector, i more modern up to date one? any info is appreciated.
jim

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203614.html#msg203614

Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 12:25:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I started off with the XLT about 11 yrs ago (they are no longer made). I recently purchased a DFX (which is just a more advanced version with 2 freq's,etc).   Don't go to a more advanced unit until you give the XLT some use. It's a good unit. Try it a few months. Play with it. Read the literature and go out with other detectorists and learn from them or join a club. It's no use buying a ferrari unless you know how to drive a go kart.  You may be wasting your time and money if you buy a more advanced unit right from the start. You WILL have more fun with a more advanced unit BUT you need to understand the capabilities of the XLT first.  My first thought is to do a 'dry run'.  Test a coin to see what the reading is. Test a piece of jewelry to see what the reading is, etc. Then go out and do some detecting to see if you can identify various items. Play with the settings (after reading the literature) to see how it affects your searching. Once you have experimented and believe you know what the various functions will accomplish, then you may be interested in researching another unit.  There are people (more advanced than I) on this website who may give you their thoughts also. Good luck. Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203622.html#msg203622

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jim,

Welcome aboard Thunting forums man!

You have yourself a advanced detector there in the XLT, some guys feel there just too much for them to handle at the beginning of the hobby, and some feel there fine.
As the fine gentleman above has mentioned, you need to study & learn the XLT, it can be simple to use with the basic programs already installed by the factory, but the tweakable programs can be complex if you don't study and read the booklet for this machine a few times.

CG has mentioned the truth about this detector, do what he advised and you'll be fine.

If you decide this machine is too much for you at first, no worries if you had to sell her, many would be interested in this XLT, as I would be myself.

Give it a chance though and things will get easier with practice and some time reading...

Cheers,  Great
Jimmy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203627.html#msg203627

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:17:20 am by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:07:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

i have found alot of stuf(nothing of gteat vlue et), pulltabs, alot of lead, one cent pcs, zippo lighter, a small pc of tinfoil that was 10 in deep and it was nor bigger than my fingernail. i use earphones and dig everything that is at least 1/2 way center to my graph.i found a location that was an old mining community in the 40"s where the portable houses where stationed for the miners families and have found some interesting period dated items. i currently have a cheap set of koss headphones and am wanting to upgrade....any ideas on what brand? dual vol. control or not? im not looking to sink a hundred bucks into a pair, but a midprice good quality would be nice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203642.html#msg203642

Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:29:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have the mid priced headphones offered by White's (I think they are about $50) and they have a balancing knob that you can adjust for each ear. These seem to work fine for me and those of this website have said that expensive headphones really do not give much advantage, if at all.

Although you are finding a lot of things, one thing for you to do is to try to identify the type of target before you dig. That way, you can learn what type of target is most likely prior to digging. For example, I search for old french (or other) coins. I know that in my area they give a reading of about 55 and are located generally in the 3" to 6" range. However, I also dig for those targets that are slightly outside these parameters (but generally are in these ranges). Normally, I am successful at identifying the prior to digging. If it is not a coin, it is usually something that approximates the coin (bottle cap, old watch mechanism, etc).  I also "learn" that sometimes, the targets slightly outside the parameters are coins (aluminum french coins made during WWII) that give off a different reading.   Like most, I dig a lot more holes that I probably need to however, if I attempt to identify the targets in advance and if I know generally what the likely targets might be, I save a lot of unnecessary work and I also "learn" more about my ability and the ability of my detector at the same time. Good luck in learning and enjoying. Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203710.html#msg203710

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thx coloma.....ill check out kellyco for a set of muffs. the wife laughs at me when i bring home a ziplock bag full of stuff home, however she did like the 1960's mood ring that i found the other day. the L.E.D indicated that it was either a ring or a pulltab and it was 14" deep. what an amazing machine. i cant imagine digging without that garrett pinpointer.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203856.html#msg203856

Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:46:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck with your XLT.  When you go to buy another unit you will have experience using a detector and you will have a better idea of what you want to do with a new one so that you can investigate those detectors that will fit the bill. You may want to join a club or meet with other detectorists. You can learn a lot from others. Good luck. coloma gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28782.msg203859.html#msg203859

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: