[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline yourownfreeTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

117.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would like to build my own detector. I wont have any problems putting one together, as far as soldering etc. My questions  are about which one to build? I know I want to build a PI type. I have seen diagrams to a few of them. I have not yet seen the goldscan yet. I still need a few more posts to download stuff. In the meantime tell me which one you think is the best homebuilt highly sensitive detector. For detecting general purpose use or high class type with bells and whistles. I only plan on looking for coins, gold. I don't have a lot of time to build anymore so would hate to waste my time building something only to find out there is a better circuit that will produce better results. I usually end up modifying whatever I build, so starting off with a good circuit helps. I know about the fast loops etc. I am just interested in the electronics. For the fun of it I want to try a new loop design. I know you have heard that before. doesn't matter that's the fun of building your own stuff, you can do whatever you want, within reason of course. So just for reference I am asking these questions with an 8 inch coil in mind. Once again your opinion counts here. Which homebuilt is the best, most producing detector? Is it the frequency it operates on or why  do you think it is? Is it by experience from actually trying one of those homebuilt ones?
Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg178949.html#msg178949

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hang on my freind. There a a few members here that can help you out a bunch....They'll be along shortly.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg178955.html#msg178955

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Take a look in here:

Please Register or Login

http://www.silverdog.co.uk/

This guy puts kits together based on documented projects on the forums.

Your lucky if you can come up with the parts for the prices he ask.  The boards are GOOD quality.

PM him here and he will give you the Dollar amount.     User Name Silverdog.   I sent him cash and it got here in two weeks.  

Not Bad, Eaaa?

I got the Surf PI Kit from him and If I had the funds would get a second.

All info you would need is documented here or on the other major builders site.

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg178968.html#msg178968
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/rkscarediv_e0.gif

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:29:27 pm by homefire »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

117.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am in no hurry so I will be listening. Never thought about a kit or a pre built board, but maybe I will now. Save me some time. I am used to building stuff from scratch. It gives you that extra word when someone ask if you built it and you can say yes. There is some satisfaction in building things yourself. Not sure what it is yet after all these years. I think it is a way to keep your mind occupied and off of reality around you. Once I start I get lost and its hard to come back to reality. Yeah Silverdog has some neat stuff. Nice of him to carry parts and such.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg179040.html#msg179040

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

117.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:02:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think I have what I need now. From what I can tell the PI circuitry is all about the same, same style. The one that intrigues me I guess is the Blind Squirrel. Simply because he took and got rid of the two 555 ics found in other units and used a single ic for that and another single that would have taken another two 555's. Comparing to the two coil unit I saw that was popular. had about 4 555 timer ics. what I will be doing is modifying the circuit. Don't ask why, just because. Cant say it will be better but I have to try. First I will change the IC U3 to another flavor hopefully for improvement. The 318 has a slew rate of 70v/µs and as high as 150v/µs. voltage gain of 200. The one I have chosen will have a slew rate of 600v/µs a voltage gain of about 10,000 or about 80 db. I Will tame it down a bit in my circuit but I will make it variable until I find the sweet spot. There is a voltage difference though, the lm318 will output much more voltage but then again it will need more to operate. The one I have chosen to try is the OPA2846 which operates off of 5 volts. It is a dual unit so I will have to op amps to play with. I plan on eliminating the cd4536b in the circuit and use a simple variable generator with variable frequency. That way I am not tied down to just a few frequencies. I have chosen a simple frequency readout which I have already built which will show me the exact frequency I am using. It does bring up the cost slightly. I have a few other ideas but I think the important thing is to get it up and running first then I will further make add ons for it.  One of the further improvement will be in the coil design, and I know you heard it all but that's part of the fun of building. I would like to design a coil that will act like a 2 inch coil by itself a 6 inch and say an 8 inch. For the bigger plug in coil say 8 inch -10 inch -12 and 14 inch all in one. Each coil working independently of the other at the same time, well almost. I would like to hear what you like in a metal detector that really doesn't exist? Also If you just have any ideas or thoughts let me know. I just like to experiment. cant say I can build this overnight cause I am limited on time but given a month or two I think I can. The hard part is the coil design and switching circuitry. This should prove interesting. I will keep going until it works. Have to start with one coil first to get unit working, but I will include the circuitry for all coils. Don't ask for the diagram yet as that has to be determined by the final design that works. I don't have one put together yet, only in my mind. I am a beginner metal detector hunter but I am not a beginner at electronics. So input from you is valuable in the help of what one might want from a detector. This is a PI type I am building. It will have a few bells and whistles others don't only to be able to see the effect of what it might do. It is necessary for me to do so to come up with a final circuit that will more basic. I am out to make a sensitive detector that you can control. One that is sensitive up close and at a distance. One that gives me more control over the circuitry and one that has something unique about it that everyone will want to try.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg182205.html#msg182205

Offline SvenS
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro, Detectorpro, Mirage PI (my own)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:55:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's my Surfmaster PI using Silverdogs PCB.
Actually building three, cost would be almost the same if I were to build one.
Used a Plano waterproof box, but the unit is not build to be waterproof this time around. Want to make sure it works first.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg182216.html#msg182216

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSC06745a.JPG
surf2a.JPG

FREE Classic & Vintage Detector Catalog Downloads
Plus a whole lot more. Build my own PI's.

Please Register or Login

www.treasurelinx.com

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good looking build there SvenS!   Thank you.  What Connector did you use for the coil?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg182227.html#msg182227

Offline SvenS
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro, Detectorpro, Mirage PI (my own)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:19:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I used a microphone plug and jack

Please Register or Login

CONNECTOR LINK

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg182299.html#msg182299

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

25-724-1.JPG

FREE Classic & Vintage Detector Catalog Downloads
Plus a whole lot more. Build my own PI's.

Please Register or Login

www.treasurelinx.com

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice work there SvenS

Regards xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg182310.html#msg182310

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

117.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:59:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nice!!!! good idea the mic connector. I think I will follow you on that. I made a boo boo in my op amp gain, so will reconsider another type. It turns out it only has about 20 db of gain. a lot less than I expected. The worst of it all I already bid on it on ebay and I,m the only dummy that bid on it. No big deal, I jumped the gun. In the process I came up with some more ideas. So anyhow enough talk now from me, its time for me to build. I do appreciate the info though. That mic connector is a great idea. An old CB radio can come in handy. I even thought of using the channel selector for something. I wonder...
I am amazed at the ideas folks come up with, it's great. That's the kind of stuff I like.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25626.msg182358.html#msg182358

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: