[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline heptazTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:23:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Looking for a tech savvy Hunter. I have a very good back ground in Radio and Electronics. I would like to better understand how the various types of metal detectors work. I know the basic BFO will see a change is its coil induction in the presents of metals which alters its frequency form the reference oscillator. I?ve heard larger coils are better for large deep metals and small coils are good for coins and jewelry. Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg89537.html#msg89537

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:32:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Go to this link for answers to your questions.

Please Register or Login

http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=main&file=main.dat

You might have a strong background in electronics but you have not got any idea how to read these forums. You and others are repeatedly told that depth is not always only a function of coil size. Sometimes, coils of a larger size can work against you by detecting low value iron targets that are not at all deep but would have been missed by a smaller coil allowing you to find a valuable item.

Do yourself a favor and get mad at me if you wish but drop this passion for deeper targets using technology. Use that soft tissue between your ears to improve your depth. Your brain, that is. Adding hardware is just plain silly when getting more skilled with your detectors pays better.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg89540.html#msg89540

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the comment, it was useless and totally missed what I asked.  I know nothing about metal detecting.  I'm look for those who know what they are doing. I could care less how deep or shallow it is, I just want to know how best to find stuff.   

Idiot

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg89546.html#msg89546

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:42:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by heptaz
Thanks for the comment, it was useless and totally missed what I asked.  I know nothing about metal detecting.  I'm look for those who know what they are doing. I could care less how deep or shallow it is, I just want to know how best to find stuff.  

Idiot

Then learn how to ask a question properly. Don't blame the answer. First, you proclaim yourself well versed in electronics and then proceed to show your lack of knowledge of coils. Then, after mentioning depth in your query, you tell me that depth means nothing to  you.

Get on with it, mate. Ask the proper question. You know. The one you really want to have answered.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg89587.html#msg89587

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was trying to be nice but I see with you it won?t work, you?re so full of yourself you can?t see the forest through the trees. You make wild assumptions and go off on a tangent totally unrelated to the question(s) a hand. That?s a real shame I?ve read other posts from you and you seem like you have a lots of good advice and information to share. Do me a favor and don?t respond to anything I post.   Pray

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg90602.html#msg90602

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:06:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ask your question an stop picking fights are there will be no post.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg90604.html#msg90604

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:59:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

I was trying to be nice but I see with you it won?t work, you?re so full of yourself you can?t see the forest through the trees. You make wild assumptions and go off on a tangent totally unrelated to the question(s) a hand. That?s a real shame I?ve read other posts from you and you seem like you have a lots of good advice and information to share. Do me a favor and don?t respond to anything I post.   Pray

You are not being nice at all. I gave you a link to Geotech which you seem to have missed. I gave you advice when you asked. If you keep this up, nobody here will even give you the time of day. If you want better answers, ask better questions. Your questions are a dog's breakfast.

Quote:Posted by seldom
Ask your question an stop picking fights are there will be no post.

I see someone else here noticed that you have failed to ask a question which can be answered.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg90746.html#msg90746

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:15:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you GD, and sorry, yes you did post a link to Geotech and I didn?t notice (I?m blind I guess). I?ll drop you a note later it time for work here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg90787.html#msg90787

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 01:24:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you GD, and sorry, yes you did post a link to Geotech and I didn?t notice (I?m blind I guess). I?ll drop you a note later it time for work here.

You're very welcome. Geotech has assembled a lot of information. Another good source but not as easy to read is the US Patent Office submissions for metal detectors. All types are represented.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg90866.html#msg90866

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 05:28:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, thanks again! I did check out Geotech, tons of good info, I need to take the time to read over all their info. Maybe then with more knowledge I can ask better questions until then I?ll just read. When it comes to the art of using a metal detector I?m a ranked novice. It seems my Garrett 150 beep at everything and anything. I don?t have a clue why that is. I figure if I knew more about how it really works the hunting would be more productive and maybe even profitable.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14096.msg90930.html#msg90930

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: