[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SimpsonTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

France
Referrals: 0

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP Goldmaxx
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:37:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

BFO Metal Detector

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=7

by Rachel and Steve Hageman

This article describes a very basic BFO detector which uses only two transistors and an LM389 audio amplifier. The LM389, in fact, contains the two transistors that form the search and reference oscillators so the whole circuit is comprised of a single IC and a handful of discrete linear components. Accurately matched transistors are not really necessary in the oscillators so you can use discrete transistors and an LM386 audio amp instead of the LM389.

This article was published in the "Design Ideas" section of the December 18, 1997 issue of EDN, a popular electronics trade magazine that offers free subscriptions to qualifying individuals.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg22426.html#msg22426

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:07:11 pm by Christian »
Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:32:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Simpson and Everyone , the BFO Metal Detectors are Great for Electronics building and experimenting . The BFO type of Metal Detectors have long been replaced by the much better I.B. [INDUCTIVE BALANCE] VLF [VERY Low Frequecy] Metal Detectors. Also Very popular are the P.I. [PULSE INDUCTION] Metal Detectors . BFO Detectors are the easiest to build , but you will not detect coins very deep . SO , Next I would suggest building a P.I. Detector , it will detect coins deeper and Bigger objects Very Deep ,  and the P.I.'s search coil , is easy to make . LAST : The best detector to build ,the most Challenging and "REWARDING" is the 'I.B.-VLF" .  PLEASE REMEMBER: When you build a "I.B.-VLF" , the search coil used with your project must be "COMPATIBLE" ! Meaning , the search coil is at the correct frequency of your projects tx-oscillator circuit , and be in 100%  working order , or you will never align and set the electronics properly on your circuit board that you are building !!............ Eventually , on this Great thunting.com site will be many schematics/constuction projects to choose from ..........SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE !  Clapp Clapp Clapp.........................Regards................. Wise Wise Wise.........................Eugene52

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg22441.html#msg22441

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:23:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene . There are a lot of schematics on the net ( take Carl Moreland's forum ) We all have schematics to choose from . What I like to find out is who has the drawings of the coils . These coils are expensive and kept close to the heart of the detector manufacturers  . A schematic is not the most important part of the detector . It is the coil . If you don't have a notion of how to build the coil you are doing a lot building for nothing . So Eugene if you have any knowledge of coil building let us know .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg23458.html#msg23458

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:04:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Eugene . There are a lot of schematics on the net ( take Carl Moreland's forum ) We all have schematics to choose from . What I like to find out is who has the drawings of the coils . These coils are expensive and kept close to the heart of the detector manufacturers  . A schematic is not the most important part of the detector . It is the coil . If you don't have a notion of how to build the coil you are doing a lot building for nothing . So Eugene if you have any knowledge of coil building let us know .  Cornelius

Hello Cornelius , You are 1000 % Correct !! The search coil is the Heart of any metal detector . You can build a hundred VLF / IB circuits .. BUT , if the search-coil is not made correctly , the Metal Detector will "NEVER" function correctly . Yes , I have made some various vlf search coils and rememember that  they must match the manufacturers specs "100%" , no exceptions , do not listen to what other Technician's tell you . There is no "CLOSE ENOUGH" when it comes to search-coils . Many things are required , that must be perfect to achieve proper discrimination / phase / operating frequency / sensitivity ....Things like  1. Resonance and "q" of the coil  2. Inductive Reactance of the search coil at operating frequecy  3. Dc resisistance /number of winding /diameter of coil/direction of windings / shielding or no shielding ,and shapes of the coils. There are many formulas to calculate , if not you will have many Headaches getting your Metal Detector to work perfectly !!!. ....................My favorite Metal Detectors are Tesoro , and I have a whole ton of Tesoro coil information I can post here if you need it , let me know !! .........But it will be later on , several days before I can get to it !! Search-Coils are not hard to wind , I just do not like spending $20.00 for a cheap piece of plastic made in arizona !!.............Someday , maybe I will be able to form/make my own coil housings.........Regards...............Eugene52

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg23461.html#msg23461

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would like it if you did mail the particulars of the Tesoro coil to me  . Use my E-Mail number if you have to . Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg23462.html#msg23462

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
I would like it if you did mail the particulars of the Tesoro coil to me  . Use my E-Mail number if you have to . Cornelius

Great Idea Cornelius , as soon as I get all the files together , I will e-mail it to you . Sometime's it is very hard to post documents and files here because of the File-Size limitations . The Thunting.com is a great forum  , but if we were able to post everything we needed , the administrator would need to purchase a million tera-giga-byte server-storage for Thunting.com  Grin Grin Grin..........Regards...........Eugene52

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg23463.html#msg23463

Offline fsss
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Israel

131.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius and Eugene52 I need your help
I was thinking to build the Shadow detector but I couldent find any explenation or drawing of the coil perhaps on of U can help me
best regards fsss

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg33984.html#msg33984

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:07:46 pm by Christian »
Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Happy

Thank you397

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:43:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello fsss , If I remember correctly the search coil for the project had to be purchased and was sold by ambit international . This search-coil  has been discontinued and has not not been available for many years. The good news , this project was copied and modified from an old radio shack metal detector design but you can try an older bounty hunter search coil .........  I think this Shadow is around 15 or 16 khz ? You should be able to find or even make a new search coil . I will do some more checking and see what I can find out.................Regards................Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg33986.html#msg33986

Offline fsss
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Israel

131.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 06:00:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

great please do
This project was the most informative that I found
the only part missing was the search coil
if you can direct me to sites that provide direction or drawings to bilding, winding a search coil it will be great this is my first project
I don't know if my coice is right but I hope to get as much material about it before buying or getting the omponents
thanks
fsss

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg33988.html#msg33988

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 11:28:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Late,late post...

This is not a good circuit but can be improved with two diodes, two resistors and another capacitor.

If you want to know, just ask me... I cut my teeth, on BFO.

Brian AKA goldigger (thats why I got  no teeth now.)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3045.msg39251.html#msg39251

goldigger

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: