[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GarrettManRPTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

140.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Safari 11.0
Safari 11.0

Awards

Garrett Ace 300, ‘68 Garrett BFO, Garrett Master Hunter
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:52:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi folks! I'm new here and looking forward to discussing some things. For example, What determines the sensitivity of the search oscillator? Does running the oscillator at the absolute minimum gain make the circuit more sensitive? My understanding was that you wanted the maximum voltage possible on the coil so the magnetic field would be the strongest but my tests have shown that larger peak to peak voltage on the coil does not improve detection range for the same size target. My old homemade beachcomber BFO originally ran on 6 or 9 volts. I have tested up to 30 volts and detection range was not noticeably different. I have noticed for years that most detectors run on pretty low voltage so that must not make any difference as strange as that sounds. I am going to breadboard the colpitts again and test with minimum gain to see if it matters but I wanted to ask here to see what others think or better yet have someone who knows to explain it.

Thanks.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71054.msg330661.html#msg330661

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
7%
Male
Australia

6075.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 68.0
Firefox 68.0

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 07:12:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

if you haven't look at this book all ready

Please Register or Login

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Metal-Detector-George-Overton/dp/0985834218

its a good way to get started

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71054.msg330686.html#msg330686

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Chrome 81.0.4044.138
Chrome 81.0.4044.138

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:12:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello again GarrettManRP  . Besides the book that Nickel-N was talking about,
I'm looking now for BFO and VLF reference folders or schematics for you to read that I will try to post here.

But in the meantime since we are talking about BFO Machines, the Very First Metal Detector I bought was from Lafayette Electronics back in 1971 in Tacoma, Washington. Store was located off of Steilacoom Blvd/South Tacoma . I bought it for $49.95 !!!

It was the Bounty Hunter 1 , the cheapest one. It worked great !!!  Found several Buffalo Nickels and some Big Military Bullets dated 1917 over by Browns Point Beach in 1971 !!!

Great Memories

Stay Safe................Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71054.msg330687.html#msg330687

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Bounty Hunter I in 1971.jpg

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Safari 11.0
Safari 11.0

Awards

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 08:37:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very cool!
A funny coincidence, I live in “Lafayette” Va.

My Dad built the beachcomber from popular electronics July 1967 back in the late 60’s. That was the first detector I ever new. I built one using the same circuit in college. I have always had ideas for improving the depth but never had the time until recently. Now I’m tinkering again. My Brother and I metal detect around some old homesteads once in a while and we like to dig everything anyway so the BFO is ok for that. Using a homade detector from the 60’s makes it more fun somehow.

That old beachcomber operated at higher frequency though, around 500kHz I think. That’s higher than most BFO’s that came later. About the best we ever did on coins was 6 inches from a 6” coil. And of course you only have ferrous vs non-ferrous discrimination.

Looking forward to seeing the material you are looking for.

Thanks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71054.msg330688.html#msg330688

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 77.0
Firefox 77.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 08:07:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome!

The coil itself has more impact on depth but only to a degree. At some point your electroinics can't drive the coil so it's a balance you need to determine.

Let me know your level of expertise and we can discuss this further. I am a semi-retired engineer and don't want to pile snow on your enthusiasm. We had a member here that I tutored in the past but he passed away way too soon. I took him from a multimeter level to programming microcomputers. Smart man. I miss him.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71054.msg330689.html#msg330689

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Safari 11.0
Safari 11.0

Awards

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry for the loss.

I am not an engineer by schooling but I worked as a technician at a mobile robotics company for about 6 years and have been a tinkerer since childhood. I’m still learning though. I’m playing with oscillators and looking to improve on the old BFO design as a learning experience. I’m interested in determining what makes the colpitts oscillator the most susceptible to inductance change. From circuit design to types of capacitors (low resistance and temp stability) to the type and size of coil wire (Litz?). The old BFO from the 60’s used 50+ year old technology. I’m thinking that using modern tech it can be made better. Granted it will still be a BFO but I’d like to think it can be made to detect deeper be more stable and I plan to add a meter.
I am interested in learning more about EM fields with focus on detectors. I recently researched field shaping and found some interesting articles but nothing that I can apply to detectors as of yet. Anything that can increase the effectiveness of the EM field is interesting to say the least. For 50 some odd years we have been working under all the known limitations. I’m trying to think outside the box.
I’d even like at some point to add an onboard micro controller and get into some signal processing.
So that maybe shows you where I’m going. I have also done some pic32 project work communicating with I2c sensors, rs232, designed and built motor controllers, amplifiers, pic32 motherboards, used xbee radios, circuit board layout, use meters, scopes etc. I am also a software developer.
Having said all that I think I have more desire and interest in things than I have skills to back up but that’s the curse of being a jack of all trades.

Any help and discussion is welcome and appreciated.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,71054.msg330690.html#msg330690

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: