[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TesoroMexTopic starter
Pull Tab

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:41:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Can someone help me with an stimated value on this lip. This is the history that I found so far:

In 1859, Mason sold five of his early patents, including the mason jar, to Lewis R. Boyd and Boyd’s company - The Sheet Metal Screw Company. Boyd is most famous for patenting a white "milk-glass" insert for zinc screw lids to theoretically lessen the chances that food would come in contact with metal. In 1871, for a brief period of time, Mason became a partner with Boyd in the Consolidated Fruit Jar Company. Consolidated hired other glass makers to blow their jars, including the Clyde Glass Works, Clyde, New York, the Whitney Glass Works of Glassboro, New Jersey, and the A. & D. H. Chambers Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Even after Mason’s patents expired, the manufacture of these jars continued for well over half a century. The companies that produced the Mason jar between 1859 and 1910 are too numerous to mention." From FOHBC Primer.

With the domination of the canning jar industry by the mason jar, and the Lightning jar, by the 1880's innovation was on the decline in the canning jar industry. While patents did continue to be granted, fewer and fewer resulted in jars being produced, but rather the patents covered improvements in sealing the jars. This is seen in the modern jars of today, with the two piece metal closure, that seals on the top of the lip of the jar. While this idea was patented in various forms in the late 19 th and early 20 th century, it was not until after WWII that the technology behind it was perfected, and it gained wide usage in households.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26102.msg183081.html#msg183081

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

0618112009c.jpg
0620112355.jpg

Looking for treasure hunting partners or clubs

Offline Ace of spades
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none yet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:19:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good morning. Those porcelin lids are nice! Do you have the jar and band for that lid? You can sometimes get about 10 to 30 bones for one of those if it is a good one. Is it chipped at all? Lids are tough you need to find someone that needs that lid. I have a pint "The american porceline lined"  with the correct lid and band. The correct lid will push up a decent jar value buy 15-20%. Did ya dig anything else?

Here is a picture of the killer right facing midget beaver jar super strong embossing. I dug it recently  Cheesy This is a super rare jar only one known with the lid. There are 2 midget jars they dont know the lid? this one and the midget beehive jar! I solved the riddle woohoo. I still have this jar and lid also, just bought a zincband for it the one that was on it was in bad shape! I may post a pic of the lid  Great Only a handfull of people know the correct lid.  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26102.msg183106.html#msg183106

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

sspx0147.jpg

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: