[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:34:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Since I am relatively new to the site I will contribute a review of one my detectors..... The Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

This unit was one of my first two detectors that were purchased as a package deal..  The first thing that I did after studying about it was to go thru my own yard and get a feel of the unit.  Now that I have been using it for a year I can say that I am satisfied with it.  There is no reason to look for gold in south Louisiana so I am clueless about that.  I also know nothing about hunting in soil that has a lot of metals in it.  The beaches down here have no sand so I have never tried to go near salt water at all.

I have been hunting for silver coins with what I must consider to be good success.  I have mostly hunted in areas that can be described as trashy.  The 8 in coil has found a 1952 half dollar at 10 or 11 inches as well as silver dimes as deep as 7 or 8 in. 

I would rather forget about the tons of beer cans over a foot deep at times but if the target is that much deeper than what the detector says it should be then I know that it is much more massive than the coin it is identifying.  Also, the biggest tell that something is not a coin is that the target's ID varies too much.  Trash  will jump around from zinc penny to silver dollar randomly while a coin will stick to one ID or sometimes two that are next to each other when you go across it in every direction.

Perhaps most detectors act this way?  I know that I bought an MPX as a package deal with the 505 and it does not do this hardly at all. 

The 4 in coil really shocked me and I found an extra silver qtr and dime in spots that had been hunted by myself with the 505 in my own yard many times before.  These were cluttered spots.  One was at the end of a walkway and the other was in front of my shed.  It goes way deeper than I would have thought and it seperated targets much better than I thought it would as well. 

I will get the 10 in coil next to see if I can get an extra couple of inches out of it.  I have come across deep targets that I knew were there but could not get a bead on.  Also, the unit has a tendency to devalue targets that are on the edge of it's range.  A deep silver qtr, for instance, will have it's ID fluctuate like it is trash.

Also, you must verify your target from all four directions just like I must assume every detectors requires.

I have learned to pin point a target while verifying it's ID will not vary.  I never ever go motion free all metal because this allows me to get a feel of the target's ID as well as it's size.  If I can pin point a target very tightly then I know it is coin size.  I always seem to be able to dig a 5 in deep target up with a hole only a few inches across at the very most.  I do this when I am in someone;s yard for instance.

I hope that this will be helpful to anyone who might want a very good looking beginner's detector.  It is very simple to use compared to the MPX  for instance and I would recommend it to everyone interested in hunting old fair grounds or anywhere they want to find coins less than a foot deep.  Trashy areas are no prob;em with that 4 in coil and it can get dimes at seven inches or more in easy soil like ours.

Tri City Ditty

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21843.msg151057.html#msg151057

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline tuco46
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter pioneer 505
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:36:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tri City Ditty

I have had the 505 for about a month and a half and have to agree with you just about everything, with that said, but once you get use to it I think it is pretty damm accurate.
Here in Florida most of the coins I get are in the 4" to 6"  range. I have now a coffee can 3/4 full for coins , I like it!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21843.msg152592.html#msg152592

Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:28:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

That is great.   I like the unit a whole lot compared to the other one I got in a package deal.

I must admit to thinking that I might want to take an inch off of those numbers I originally posted.  I might have found coins that deep but I may have also missed some that deep as well.  The half dollar, however, was almost a foot deep and I found myself nearly digging up my front yard to see what that target was.

I can say that silver coins always seem to read one coin bigger.  Also, it takes almost three sweeps with the 4 inch coil to match one with the 8 incher.

I will be getting the 10 inch coil today and might write something up about it after a couple of weeks of going over old spots.

Have fun in Fla.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21843.msg152623.html#msg152623

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline tuco46
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter pioneer 505
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tri City Dity

I was looking a few weeks ago for the 10" it was either Overstock or Target had it for $39.00 but when I tried to order they were out of stock they said they would email when they have it in stock again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21843.msg152658.html#msg152658

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: