[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline themanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett, Bounty Hunter, Others
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

The lack of a volume control is a major problem with Bounty Hunter models. Some places I don't want a loud response to call the locals over.

Most of them have a headphone jack and a volume control on the headphone would work. The Quicksilver model sold with the additional Wal Mart sticker (Explorer?) does not have a headphone jack.

I am interested in adding a volume potentiometer to Bounty Hunters that is wired into the the amplifier section to properly control the volume. Adding a pot to the speaker wires would work but would upset the expected 8 ohm speaker load to the circuit.

With the addition of an inexpensive pot and a knob and a hole, the unit would be far more useful to me and I suspect, others. I have the Fast Tracker and Quick Silver models that I keep in trunk of car for special occasions that I discover. My main MD has a volume adjustment and I miss it on the Bounty Hunters.

Anyone have schematics on the BH models? I will make a diagram if have to. I would like to put a variable resistor in the op-amp driving the speaker, if thats how its designed.

Thanks
theman

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg46067.html#msg46067

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:59:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by theman
The lack of a volume control is a major problem with Bounty Hunter models. Some places I don't want a loud response to call the locals over.

Most of them have a headphone jack and a volume control on the headphone would work. The Quicksilver model sold with the additional Wal Mart sticker (Explorer?) does not have a headphone jack.

I am interested in adding a volume potentiometer to Bounty Hunters that is wired into the the amplifier section to properly control the volume. Adding a pot to the speaker wires would work but would upset the expected 8 ohm speaker load to the circuit.

With the addition of an inexpensive pot and a knob and a hole, the unit would be far more useful to me and I suspect, others. I have the Fast Tracker and Quick Silver models that I keep in trunk of car for special occasions that I discover. My main MD has a volume adjustment and I miss it on the Bounty Hunters.

Anyone have schematics on the BH models? I will make a diagram if have to. I would like to put a variable resistor in the op-amp driving the speaker, if thats how its designed.

Thanks
theman

Hello . If your Bounty Hunter is out of warranty then it is ok to mod. with a volume control . If you take it apart look for the audio section before the speaker wire going to the headphone jack . I will look for a simila diagram that may help you , but not too many schematics are posted on the internet forums of the newer Bounty Hunter models . You will have to take it apart !!!! Others are welcome to post here .
HH..........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg46119.html#msg46119

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will make a schematic when I can get a minute. I purchased a metal detector from a tool show (Cummings?) that was suspiciously similar to a Fast Tracker - even the manual had the same art work as the Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker manual. It operates virtually identically as well. I'll start with it before looking at the others.

Thanks
theman

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg46133.html#msg46133

Offline Niobium
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Sweden

625.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Bounty Hunter - Fortune Hunter Digital
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:39:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

No need for schematics, just cut one of the wires to the speaker and solder in an variable potentiometer and mount it in the case having an adjustable knob pointing out of the case.

Changing the Ohm wont affect that much as far as i have experienced as far as you are using something around 1 - 5 Ohm.

Another idea is to try a small vibrator from an old mobile phone, having a swith changing from the speaker to vibration mode, these small vibrators are very low voltage and don?t need much ampere.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg46263.html#msg46263

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:41:14 am by Niobium »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Like the idea of using cell phone vibrator - got some broken phones for parts too. As far as the volume pot, I like studying the schematics and consider it a cost cutting measure that removed the potentiometer. By adding a variable pot back into the amplifier circuit, the device will be fully functional again. If it doesn't use a traditional amplifier that I can add a pot to, than adding a pot in the speaker line would be the way to go. I'll post the results in a couple of weeks.

thanks,
theman

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg46302.html#msg46302

Offline jwms
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Firefox 31.0
Firefox 31.0

Awards

homemade pulse type
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:19:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Like the vibrator idea from a phone. Was wondering where to get one. The answer is so simple sometimes. Forums are so great.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg281088.html#msg281088

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Radio Shack and most other Electronics part shops sell the Vibrators but as stated , almost every one has a Dud phone these days.  LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7425.msg281096.html#msg281096

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: