[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Mr. MagooTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Spetrum XLT
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

From the ground a man stood looking up at the balcony. He had traveled a great distance to see someone this day. On his chest was a button he had purchased to show support for the man he came to see. It was a bright and glorious day and in his chest was the beating of his heart to a patriotic beat. The man he came to see was the new President. As the crowd grew quiet he saw who he came to see step to the balcony. He was tall and was dressed in a brown suit wearing silver shoe buckles and diamond knee buckles and a beautiful sword. It was President elect George Washington, truly a man above men. He had captivated the attention of the infant country by his heroic leadership in the American Revolution and now the thirteen colonies needed a decisive leader.
   As the day passed, the man started home to his small farm in North Carolina. Back to his life, he couldn?t help but be filled with a feeling that good times were coming soon. Readying himself for bed, he removed the patriotic button from his chest and placed it in a keepsake box beside his bed.  He would often times take it out looking at it to encourage him through the hardships that would inevitably come. As he looked at the button, he saw the ovals around the half-dollar sized brass button. These told him of the union of many people in various states that supported the countries new cause. In the center the statement ?Long Live the President? denoted the cry for long life to a wise and loved man. In the middle of the button was the scripted GW in his own script signifying his personalized vow to lead a struggling country into freedom of tyranny. As he clenched the button in his tightened hand he couldn?t help but feel the power of union.
   Two hundred and twenty years later I walked the ground of the location where this man lived and worked. How it got to this place may be in conjecture, but somehow through the years I was able to find a window into the countries historic past. Swinging my detector with my friend, Mike, we were unaware of the historical encounter we would have this day. For three days we dug many items that took us back to the 18th century and early 19th century. We knew we were close to something big when we immediately began finding many flat one-piece buttons, an 1813 Peruvian reale, Georgian period clock winding key as well as musket balls and square nails. We knew we were close to a find of a lifetime, but where was it. As the targets grew fewer and fewer and the ground grew quiet, I decided to hunt more slowly and to hunt the fringes of the location. Reaching my coil into the brush on the edge of the open clearing I received a broken sound and registering five inches deep on my trusty White?s Spectrum XLT. I eagerly dug into the hard, red earth being careful to make it large enough to avoid scratching or otherwise damaging the target. Rolling the plug over, I looked for what my target had detected. Then there it was covered in dirt-a large half-dollar shaped object. Picking it up, I called my friend over to witness the find. Looking at it, we agreed that it appeared to be a dandy button from the 18th century and thought nothing more of it.
   Dandy buttons were large, over-sized buttons worn by affluent people of their time to denote wealth and status. I had found many of them and they always denote age to a site as well as a wealthy person. It also fit with the other items that had been found on the site and confirmed yet again that we were where we should be looking. Thinking nothing more of it, the button was put it into my pocket with the other items found that day.
   As I continued hunting and the sun beat down on me, I decided to take shelter in the shade and get a cool drink of water. Mike continued to hunt, fighting the heat and the bugs with every swing. While resting in the cool shade, I decided to pull the button from my pouch and splashed water from my bottle on it to see if there was any other detail that may be present. Immediately there was evident great detail around the rim.  I instantly recognized the pattern to be a possible George Washington Inaugural button of the linked states variety. My heart was racing in my chest as I let out a yell to my buddy to come and look. I was shaking at the possible historical significance of this item and still couldn?t believe it was what I thought. I couldn?t hunt anymore though I tried. My mind kept coming back to the button- that glorious button and the day that it marked- 4 March 1789. How had it been lost? Who was the original owner? Did he indeed look up at George Washington and watch the inauguration? So many questions, yet I had been privileged to have a quick glance in through a sliver of time.
   As I made the three hour drive home my mind raced. I needed confirmation of this find. As I got home I raced into the kitchen and ran water over the button. The water gently loosened the dirt that still covered the button so that it was indeed well recognizable. I then compared it to my Albert?s reference guide. There it was in print before me- a linked states variety George Washington Inaugural button c. 1789 with only 55 known to exist. What an incredible find and in such great condition after 220 years of waiting for me! I also found out it was in a scene from the movie ?National Treasure? starring Nicholas Cage. The chances of finding this type of historical iconary are very rare and I had found it that day!  As I held it in my shaking hands, heart pounding, I uttered the very same words that were shouted as the man stood at the balcony on that day- ?Long Live the President!?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg43136.html#msg43136

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

gw1button.jpg
gw2button.jpg
gw4.jpg
gwbutton.jpg
gwfront.jpg

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello! Welcome to our forum and thank you very much for sharing this great story and find with us! I have enjoyed reading it from the start to the end! Thanks!

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg43140.html#msg43140

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:03:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow! Exciting find! Thanks for the story and pic!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg43572.html#msg43572

Offline maturemike
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

485.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro DeLeon Whites MXT with a Sunray prob
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:21:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great story and congrats on a great find.

Cheers,

Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg43665.html#msg43665

saving the past, today for tomorrow

Offline Malc
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Xp adx250,Garrett ace 150,Laser trident 1,Whites prizm 6T
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:12:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Smashing story . Great find .Thanks for sharing.Malc Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg49732.html#msg49732

I love detecting.

Offline romeo-1(CMD Exile)
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

225.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F-75
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:43:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great post...great find!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg54533.html#msg54533

Offline sasquache
Pull Tab

old suspender buckle
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab explorer XS,fisher id-excel,garrett gta 500 ultra
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:39:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

omg!! once in a life time find sweet button Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg61521.html#msg61521

Love is from the heart not the wallet

Offline tin pan man
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab E-trac
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:02:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Found this GW button and LC 7-24-10.
Saw you're story and thought about the great day I had.

TPM

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg110107.html#msg110107

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

GW Button -bjt.jpg

Offline RJ39NY
GW BUTTON HUNTER
Bronze Member

GW BUTTON HUNTER
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

715.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garret Ace 250/Whites MXT PRO
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello,
    i have a web site i am working on called georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com  to document found and all inaugural buttons. could you please send me a picture to my email with a clear picture front and back and where you dug it up. thanks GW Hunter   rj39ny@verizon.net  for pics

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7037.msg149364.html#msg149364

-RJ Silverstein GW Button Hunter-

Offline jreb
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States