[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline vikingTopic starter
Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa
Referrals: 0

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:18:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdee all.
I do recoveries for people all the time and my success rate is 99% and that's because one is incomplete. It's a gold and monster diamond ring that has been in the ground for 50 years. I will get to that later.
Now I have been contacted by a gentleman who's family owns a farm that used to belong to his great great grandfather. It seems that this farmers sister lived on the farm with her husband and children.We are talking late 18 to early 1900's during the Boer war.
So this brother-in-law of the farmer ...let's call him John....so John was the local school master and a Commandant in the Boer army.
After Bloemfontein was captured by the British the commandos went back to their farms and destroyed most of their weapons and ammo, not wanting it to land in the hands of the British.
It seems that there was a decision made by the boer generals at the time to go at it one more time and the Boer men where called back to duty. I think it was the battle of Reddersburg that they went to.
Anyway that day his wife saw him walk off into the bush with his savings and valuables which she said was around 300 gold coins(probably sovereigns as I have found other references to captured Boer ladies stashing them.)She said he buried it but didn't tell her exactly where.And You can probably guess the rest.
I am going on this hunt soon and would welcome any help or tips as to tricks that the old timers used to hide stuff.
I am using T2+.Apparently he didn't have much time so I don't think it can be that deep if buried.The bush is mostly knee height African grass and a few trees here and there....pretty sparse though. I have also seen some rocks in the pics I have been shown, also very here and there.
Okay so I HOPE YOU GUYS RUN WITH THIS! I would really dig some help..... pun pun.
Regards
Viking in South Africa
 Freddy Kr?ger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg118178.html#msg118178

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hurrying to bury a cache makes one careless. Look for natural landmarks that will withstand the test of time if you feel the person hiding it was intending to come back a long time later. Unfortunately, if he intended to come back in a short while, his choice would be less able to withstand the elements and may be gone. Either way, if you can pinpoint the area where the conversation took place and search in a radius around it, you might get lucky. The only way to miss this one, if it's as true as you believe it to be, is to be too late. Someone may have witnessed him hiding it and took it. It may have been discovered during field clearing or by another treasure hunter before you.

Good luck with this one!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg118205.html#msg118205

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:30:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GoldDigger.
The farm was in use till the 1950's, thereafter it has only been used occasionally by the family as a getaway and hunting farm. I guess that it may be gone along time already but, the man was a school master and a leader of men in the war. Would someone of this caliber really do something as foolish as letting them see
him? My guess is that he was a thinker and strategist! However the defeat at Bloemfontein could have taken it's toll and the fact that he was probably thinking about the battle to come and the safety of his family surely had him in an unfamiliar place.
Thank you for your feedback .I am leaving on the 6th of October and I would love to chat about the possibilities  and maybe some help with the T2 if there are any users out there.
Viking
Ps You obviously figured out that he was killed in the war and did not return.It appears that his children died in the Springfontein concentration camp.
 Freddy Kr?ger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg118206.html#msg118206

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:46:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Viking

There are a lot of very interesting stories about the Boer war most of them are true and they some how did not go through the deformation proses so you can go on what you are being told by the old folks. Die Boere folk have a way of telling stories to there children that will give you an accurate picture.(if they tell you the story) This is a good time for a felt fire and after a good rain the place will be detectable. There is no way that I would even consider using a detector in that Tambokie grass even after having burned it you will have to swing it 15 - 20cm above ground depending on the speed of the fire. One thing you can be sure of is he used those rocks as markers. Have a good hunt

Regards Xavier   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg118285.html#msg118285

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Xavier
I agree the grass is a pain in the butt. There are a few buildings on the farm. The school building is also on the farm or what remains of it anyhow. The British apparently occupied the farm house during the war and when they left, they put all the corn and sheep inside it an then duly torched it.All that remains is the foundation. Furthermore there is a stone kraal for the cattle, dry packed stone walls. I was thinking that it may be a good place to look. Is there any evidence of stuff being stashed in stone walls?
Also I thought that the kraal would have made an excellent place to bury the loot as the ground would have been continuously disturbed and it would hide a recent burial pretty well.
Then the rocks...my line of thought is that it may be under a large rock barely movable by one man, this would give a better chance of it being left alone.
I don't know really ....is my train of thought on the right track?
Thanks again.
Viking
By the way it was the school building that was torched not the farm house.
Okay thanks.
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg118322.html#msg118322

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 03:35:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Your guess is as good as mine I think that you should go with what people tell you also try and find a place with a line of vision from the farm house as the loot is pretty big you could use a large coil it will make things easier in the open areas but you will still need to look in small open spaces so a probe would probably be in the order of the day as it could be hidden between to large rocks.

Regards Xavier 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg118397.html#msg118397

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 06:50:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Viking

Thanks for the interesting post.

It is not much to go on. Is there any traces of the original farm fencing boundary line or large trees on the property that may of been around in 1900?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg119500.html#msg119500

Offline charleskerr
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

South Africa

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

CScope CS6PI, Homemade Surfmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:16:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Viking

Any news on your search?

Charles

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg150896.html#msg150896

Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:22:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Charles
The site is about 1000km
From my location.We are still trying to sort out a date as
business obligations keep putting a spanner in the works.
Will keep you posted though
Viking

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg150897.html#msg150897

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 09:05:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Viking with your detector put on as bigger coil as possible and hold it about 6 inches plus of the ground , the reason i tell you
this is because the bigger coil won't be bothered by small junk and you will still get good depth, and by raising the coil the
ground mineralization won't bother your detector that much

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18246.msg150910.html#msg150910

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: