[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cleburne Times-Review, Cleburne, TX
December 31, 2006
John Watson: Buried treasure in Johnson County

Southwestern Johnson County, otherwise known as the Goatneck area, contains several well-known landmarks, some recognized by Indians before whites arrived. Many tales have been associated with these landmarks, which include the Five Oaks, Klondike Mountain and Bee Mountain.

While looking through some files of old letters and newspaper clippings at the Cleburne Public Library I ran across two stories of buried treasure in this area that I will share with you.

One letter, typewritten and undated, reads: “Mrs. Thomas, Mrs. Battle’s mother, bought the ranch in 1917 from Mrs. Otho Huston.

“The following is the story of the buried treasure as Mrs. Battle has heard from the natives.

The Mexicans and Indians both lived together in this vicinity many, many years ago. In the east field there are many Muscle shells [they ate the mussel, as the animal was called, which lived between the shells] and pieces of arrow heads and flint. The Indians were living here and the Mexicans brought in what was termed five jack loads of gold, which was buried on Klondike Mountain.

“Since Mrs. Battle has been living on Klondike Ranch a man from Fort Worth sought a permit to dig for treasure, which was granted. His story was that he lived in Stephenville and had a very old Mexican working for him. On his death bed the Mexican sent for him and told him the story of the buried treasure at Klondike; gave him an old chart showing the location from Bee Mountain across the river to Klondike Mountain. The old Mexican’s story was that when the Spaniards finished burying the treasure they buried the Indians alive that helped with the work. They did this to cover their trail so there would not be any one to tell the secret hiding place of the buried gold. This story had been handed down to him.

“The man digging for the treasure was put under bond and given a three-month contract. He found an Indian grave with Indian bones but no treasure. Mrs. Battle keeps part of the bones in a basket in the living room of the Klondike house. The prospector was so bothered by the native people of this section, or Goatneck, as it is called, that Mrs. Battle had to provide a guard for him. There were many telephone calls from Fort Worth and Cleburne every day while the man was there working.

“The Goatneck vicinity is a law unto itself. No one dares to really interfere with whatever the natives are doing, be it legal or not.

“In walking over the mountain after reaching the top, it sounds hollow. Mrs. Battle said that there was a cave that extended back into the mountain they did not know how far, as it had not been explored so very far. It could not be explored in the summer on account of the rattle snakes.”

I thought this was a very interesting story, and then I found a newspaper clipping, undated, of an interview with a Mrs. Stella Teasdale of 310 N. Walnut. Here is a portion of that interview.

“Probably nobody in Cleburne is more interested in the old Chisholm Trail than Mrs. Teasdale. She was born in 1885 in a house where the Old Sexton mansion once stood in the rugged, picturesque Klondike country. Her father, Henry Grafa, was a ranch man.

“’The cattle went right by the ranch house,’ said Mrs. Teasdale. ‘They were stopped by cedar fences.’

“Mrs. Teasdale’s mother, Phoebe Witham, came to Cleburne shortly after it was founded and purchased property from Col. Chambers, one of the city’s founders.

“Mrs. Teasdale spoke of rumors of buried treasure near the old Chisholm Trail in the Klondike Country.

‘My mother’s father came to her in a dream and told her, “Why haven’t you dug up the treasure?”’ said Mrs. Teasdale.

“Then her mother would send Mrs. Teasdale’s older brother, Olin, to search for the treasure. Olin Grafa is still living on a ranch near Cresson.

“Mrs. Teasdale said the ‘treasure’ was probably stolen loot from an early-day holdup, buried in the Klondike Country by bandits with lawmen hot on their trail.

“Mrs. Teasdale recalled the search for the buried treasure with vividness.

“‘We’d creep around there at night,’ she said. ‘The man who owned the property would come down there with a lantern and tell us, “I don’t want any holes.”

“‘Actually, he just wanted to see where we were digging. I don’t know how many people were out there digging for it. There’s something buried down there.’

“‘I was really frightened,’ Mrs. Teasdale said of her experience digging for the buried treasure. ‘It was one of the most eerie things I have ever done in my life. It was the most exciting thing in the world.’

“For many years some folks have maintained belief that treasure is still buried in the Klondike Country.

“‘Does anybody ever dig for the treasure any more?’ Mrs. Teasdale was asked.

“‘Oh yes,’ Mrs. Teasdale laughed. ‘I’m still digging.’”

Could this treasure Mrs. Teasdale’s grandfather told her mother about in a dream have been the Spanish gold rather than the bandit loot that Mrs. Teasdale thought it was?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38630.msg237994.html#msg237994

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would love to spend a day or two with my camera.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38630.msg238011.html#msg238011

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting story, seldom.   Not sure how much credence I give it, but then there aren't many facts there to base a quick decision on are there?

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38630.msg238459.html#msg238459

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, Seldom, for another great treasure tale!  Always enjoy them!  Kinda makes the old fire burn!    Detecting    Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38630.msg238506.html#msg238506

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: